What's new

barrister and Mann has anyone tried their shaving soaps?

If Will ever puts Seville and Bay Rum into a base without lanolin and shea butter, I will buy plenty. Those scents are knockouts. I am mostly with rudyt; although low-er structure is not a problem for me, but there is a tipping point where it becomes more like a brushless cream than a lathering product. I prefer the older B&M bases for this reason, but the Reserve is usable for me.

Will's a great soapmaker and has a fantastic nose.

i have only tried the reserve line in lavender.. initially i didnt like it as it was tricky to lather but after a few goes lathers just as easy as any other top soap i have and the performance was that good i bought another right away.

the lavender scent to me is excellent

Why are you worried about rancidity? Even when I load from the container, I just leave the top off the lid to dry out in a reasonable way (10 hours or overnight or so). I've never seen anything at all to worry about. Yes, I've read posts that some people have had issues at times, but again, just letting it dry before recapping/closing the soap should be more than okay. No shame in safety first, though.

And I second the idea of getting shave samples, if possible. I bought a I lot of them from Maggard's when I first began getting into soaps vs. creams. It helped me explore scents in a more financially sensible manner. Even if you buy a full tub you don't like, odds are, someone else will love it and want to buy a mostly unused soap in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum.

Thanks for the tips. I will look at maggards samples to see what they have. On the fear kr the soaps going bad, they are quite pricey and it is hot and very high humidity all year round so I did not want to take any chances with the soaps that do not hae any preservatives. Besides for example the wholly kaw soap I have has such a animal type smell emanating through the scent that I am concerned it is the most vulnerable to going off.

B&m is in my top 3 soaps. I've tried about 15 of them and my favorite scent so far is lavanille followed closely by fougere gothique. No offense but I find it interesting you joined b&b in 2013 and are just now hearing of them :)

After reading the replies about the Seville scent I guess that my sniffer must be out of whack.

I believe Seville is Will's best selling scent. However, we all have our scent preferences. If you do not like it, there are other options you might like. I rate Seville 8/10 on scent preference. That means I am OK with the scent, but it will never be one of my favorites. Although I have 9 B&M soaps, none of the scents rate as favorites (10/10).

Thanks for the tips. I will look at maggards samples to see what they have. On the fear kr the soaps going bad, they are quite pricey and it is hot and very high humidity all year round so I did not want to take any chances with the soaps that do not hae any preservatives. Besides for example the wholly kaw soap I have has such a animal type smell emanating through the scent that I am concerned it is the most vulnerable to going off.

Get a puck of Roam. You won't ever be able to tell if it's "off" or not. And I actually like it. :001_smile

20200708_101917.jpg

Last edited:
LOL! That is the most unusual smell profile I have seen!

I know of one that is even stranger than B&M Roam. It is Chiseled Face Midnight Stag. It is described as:

This one is masculine. Like really, really masculine. Like a “take an old, beat up leather jacket, drape it over a couple of tires to make a table and clean your guns on it” kind of masculine. Dark, unrefined, and totally unresistible, this is a scent for those who don't mind sticking out. Those who forge the paths. Those who are proud to be a man.
Scent is made of the following notes: Russian Leather, Motor Oil, Hoppes #9, Birch Tar, Oakmoss, Gasoline, Smoke, Cedar, Cade, Bergamont, Vanilla.

It you spend your days and nights working on motorcycles or muscle cars in an old garage, this scent will be right up your alley. For other, perhaps not.

I know of one that is even stranger than B&M Roam. It is Chiseled Face Midnight Stag.
That's the soap base I was referring to when I said my other soaps are ridiculously easy to lather compared to Reserve.

Midnight Stag is tied with Sherlock for my favorite shaving soap scent out of at least 70 that I've tried.

I know of one that is even stranger than B&M Roam. It is Chiseled Face Midnight Stag. It is described as:

This one is masculine. Like really, really masculine. Like a “take an old, beat up leather jacket, drape it over a couple of tires to make a table and clean your guns on it” kind of masculine. Dark, unrefined, and totally unresistible, this is a scent for those who don't mind sticking out. Those who forge the paths. Those who are proud to be a man.
Scent is made of the following notes: Russian Leather, Motor Oil, Hoppes #9, Birch Tar, Oakmoss, Gasoline, Smoke, Cedar, Cade, Bergamont, Vanilla.

It you spend your days and nights working on motorcycles or muscle cars in an old garage, this scent will be right up your alley. For other, perhaps not.

Have that one as well. The faint hint of Hoppes #9....

LOL! That is the most unusual smell profile I have seen!

And this is, I'm guessing, Will's second or third iteration. Compared to the original (I still have a puck), performance and scent profile, the difference between a Jack Russell terrier and a wolf. Although still, how shall I say? Harsh.

Last edited:
That's the soap base I was referring to when I said my other soaps are ridiculously easy to lather compared to Reserve.

Midnight Stag is tied with Sherlock for my favorite shaving soap scent out of at least 70 that I've tried.

As they say, scent is very much a YMMV thing. I know some others who like it as well.

i have:

le grande Chypre
vespers
fougere angelique
lyssa
bay rum
cologne russe
petrichor

I like them all......most scents are citrus based main note.

I like the ones where Will chooses to go off the beaten path (vespers, lyssa, petrichor.)

camo

All right. One vendor had a sale, so Lavanille aftershave is en route.

Mousse de saxe is addictive!

AA

Oh, gosh yes. Totally agree on Mousse de Saxe. Beaudelaire, Lavanille and Vespers are some of my favorite B&M scents. I also love a lot of Will's florals like 42, Saeryan, Lyssa, etc.

The mechanics at the workshop would be encouraged to know that their body odour after a days work is deemed admirable lol

Top Bottom