What's new

Barrister and Mann Four Horsemen Scents

I have decided to pass on ordering full size versions, but I wanted to share something that led to that decision, not necessarily my opinion of the scent. I had made a test lather of Death, I wanted to know what the base itself smells like because I suspect after a few hours that is what will stay on the skin with all the scents. What I do is leave plenty of unused lather open in the washroom(bathroom) and as I come and go(sorry) I can revisit the scent and decide if my opinion has changed. In this case it did both a couple hours and 24 hours later. Like most B&M scents, these are interesting at least and I don't have anything particularly negative to say about them. Plague was nice while shaving and it's now covered up by Floid The Genuine so the base doesn't come through.
I'm teetor tootering on placing an order for Famine and Death, soaps and aftershaves. I want them but shouldn't spend the money. 🤦‍♂️

Death - Smells kind of like a gourmand-ey, cold weather chypre. A bit like cookies. It's okay. nothing crazy.

Famine - I was excited about this. It was my favorite upon first sniff. That said, I have a love/hate relationship with sandalwoods in general. I feel I would tire of this quickly. I was already familiar with Norlimbanol since I have some karmawood sitting here.

Plague - At first, it reminded me of oregano oil. I didn't really like it. I also normally don't like the kind of lavander Will uses. Too sweet and soapy. That said, after I lathered this, it became my overall favorite by a large margin. It has a clean, medicinal, and obviously herbal quality that, it turns out, I appreciate. It reminds me of a French, herbal-type soap. (Le Pere Lucien Traditional. MDC Original, etc.) I like it.

War - I was hoping it wouldn't smell like pure cilantro. First whiff = pure cilantro. Lathered up = BIG TIME PURE CILANTRO. I HATE it. I wanted to like it. I've spent plenty of time around firearms. I was hoping this would smell like guns. It doesn't. It smells like the cutting board when one is chopping the fixins for taco night.

I might buy the plague set. I'm glad I didn't buy the complete set.

I'm totally with you on War. It's a no-go. I really like the floral top notes with Famine. It definitely my number one BUT.... I'm really struggling with which I like more, Plague or Death.

They're similar and I do pick up the additions to Plague but It's killin me trying to decide which to place an order for. I decided that I would limit myself to two sets but herein lies my issue. Lol.

Mind re-smelling Death and Plague a few more times and sharing any further thoughts?

Had to take my Son to the hospital last night. I didn't get home until 4AM. Woke up around 11, and went to try War. Started to make the lather, and just couldn't do it. Went with SW Autumn Ash for some Comfort on a wet dreary fall day.
I'm sorry to hear about your night and I really hope your son is okay.

I'm about to go shave now and test out this War we've all been so polarized by. I'll share my thoughts if I make it out alive.

I want Death for Christmas!
(shamless attempt for a post of the day nomination.)
No Death for you! Just...

1665507970204.png

Death - Smells kind of like a gourmand-ey, cold weather chypre. A bit like cookies. It's okay. nothing crazy.

Famine - I was excited about this. It was my favorite upon first sniff. That said, I have a love/hate relationship with sandalwoods in general. I feel I would tire of this quickly. I was already familiar with Norlimbanol since I have some karmawood sitting here.

Plague - At first, it reminded me of oregano oil. I didn't really like it. I also normally don't like the kind of lavander Will uses. Too sweet and soapy. That said, after I lathered this, it became my overall favorite by a large margin. It has a clean, medicinal, and obviously herbal quality that, it turns out, I appreciate. It reminds me of a French, herbal-type soap. (Le Pere Lucien Traditional. MDC Original, etc.) I like it.

War - I was hoping it wouldn't smell like pure cilantro. First whiff = pure cilantro. Lathered up = BIG TIME PURE CILANTRO. I HATE it. I wanted to like it. I've spent plenty of time around firearms. I was hoping this would smell like guns. It doesn't. It smells like the cutting board when one is chopping the fixins for taco night.

I might buy the plague set. I'm glad I didn't buy the complete set.
I didn't want to give my impression without more experience and I am glad I didn't. This is 💯% my experience and a perfect summary for those that find this thread in a year.

I only ordered the plague sample of this set and it arrived today 😃. I really like the scent of this one. Wanted to see how this one compares to the RazoRock plague doctor. Scent wise I would probably have to go with the RazoRock plague doctor. I feel that it’s a little more balanced scent wise than the B&M but I like them both
Plague - At first, it reminded me of oregano oil
I get more of thyme and rosemary starting off but can see where others might get oregano. Just goes to show how the same scent can smell different to different people

Mind re-smelling Death and Plague a few more times and sharing any further thoughts?
Okay,

so I smelled Death, Famine, and Plague with more time and more depth.

Death - The oak moss, bergamot, and patchouli smell a LOT like Seville, but with the spicy, cold weather warmth of the amber and Labdanum. This doesn't smell as gourmandy to me as it did the first round of smelling. It's more like a typical barbershop scent, even though it's technically a chypre. I could see somebody using this every day. If you like Seville, you'll love this.

Famine - So, take death, and add a dry sandalwood note that smells a bit like the old Body Shop sandalwood. To some people, it smells like playdough. Now that I've given it more time and attention, I may buy it simply because I miss the TBS sandalwood cream. I used that stuff for a long time.

Plague - This smells even more medicinal this time around. It's almost a tea tree type scent. Reminds me of mouthwash, but in a hospital. I like it.

So,

if you like B&M Seville, buy Death.

If you like TBS sandalwood, buy Famine.

If you like clean, herbal, French mouthwash, buy Plague.

If you like tacos, buy War.

I only ordered the plague sample of this set and it arrived today 😃. I really like the scent of this one. Wanted to see how this one compares to the RazoRock plague doctor. Scent wise I would probably have to go with the RazoRock plague doctor. I feel that it’s a little more balanced scent wise than the B&M but I like them both

I get more of thyme and rosemary starting off but can see where others might get oregano. Just goes to show how the same scent can smell different to different people

After the second round of deep smelling, it's like Rosemary, Thyme, Mint, and Tea Tree. I had oregano on my mind since my son is using the oregano oil for a skin issue. I have to smell it every night. Strong stuff.

And yeah, RR Plague doctor is a white musk bomb that doesn't really smell herbal at all. Good scent though.

Okay,

so I smelled Death, Famine, and Plague with more time and more depth.

Death - The oak moss, bergamot, and patchouli smell a LOT like Seville, but with the spicy, cold weather warmth of the amber and Labdanum. This doesn't smell as gourmandy to me as it did the first round of smelling. It's more like a typical barbershop scent, even though it's technically a chypre. I could see somebody using this every day. If you like Seville, you'll love this.

Famine - So, take death, and add a dry sandalwood note that smells a bit like the old Body Shop sandalwood. To some people, it smells like playdough. Now that I've given it more time and attention, I may buy it simply because I miss the TBS sandalwood cream. I used that stuff for a long time.

Plague - This smells even more medicinal this time around. It's almost a tea tree type scent. Reminds me of mouthwash, but in a hospital. I like it.

So,

if you like B&M Seville, buy Death.

If you like TBS sandalwood, buy Famine.

If you like clean, herbal, French mouthwash, buy Plague.

If you like tacos, buy War.
Thank you for this. I appreciate you taking a second sniff around and sharing your thoughts.

I went to "War" and survived.... just barely. 😓

This was a very interesting shave. One I'm not sure I've ever had. I usually take me time because I love basking in the scent of my shaving soaps and honestly don't want it all to end. For me doing a four-pass shave is a great time. Not today! I did a quick three-pass. I mean quick.

Ever make home made tacos? You know those taco seasoning packets you mix with your ground meat? That's what War smells like, but with some cilantro added on top as a garnish. 🦨

I had to use TWO different aftershaves to try and cover the scent of the soap up and it still didn't work. 😔 I used Proraso first, then some Aqua Velva Ice Sport. ♨️

I'm a very open-minded person. I mean very open-minded. This scent just doesn't work on any accord. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the rest of this soap as I don't think I'll ever use it again. 🚮

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I always come back to B&M scents after first impressions. Day two of sensory perceptions was a bit different than day one.

War smells just too much like burned tire rubber to me, and this is my least favorite. Candidly, I can’t see ever shaving with it, and I don’t even think the shower is an appropriate place for it.

Famine is growing on me, as many of Will’s creations do, but it is still not my favorite.

Death still smells like my Hallows, with only subtle differences. I love Hallows so this one is a winner.

Plague has become my favorite of these 4 — very complex accord that is pleasing to me.

First shave tomorrow will be with Plague.

I went to "War" and survived.... just barely. 😓

This was a very interesting shave. One I'm not sure I've ever had. I usually take me time because I love basking in the scent of my shaving soaps and honestly don't want it all to end. For me doing a four-pass shave is a great time. Not today! I did a quick three-pass. I mean quick.

Ever make home made tacos? You know those taco seasoning packets you mix with your ground meat? That's what War smells like, but with some cilantro added on top as a garnish. 🦨

I had to use TWO different aftershaves to try and cover the scent of the soap up and it still didn't work. 😔 I used Proraso first, then some Aqua Velva Ice Sport. ♨️

I'm a very open-minded person. I mean very open-minded. This scent just doesn't work on any accord. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the rest of this soap as I don't think I'll ever use it again. 🚮
It is vile. When I made a test lather with it, and threw it out. The brush I washed with Dial hand soap and it still stinks. My Grandpa was right, "War is Hell".

It is vile. When I made a test lather with it, and threw it out. The brush I washed with Dial hand soap and it still stinks. My Grandpa was right, "War is Hell".
Funny that you mention washing your brush. I'm going to have to do the same. After hours my bathroom still smells like the soap and know my brush need a reset.

Top Bottom