What's new

Barefoot

hey so I recently stumbled across barefoot shoes and was wondering anyone got any experience with them?

I got some water/beach shoes bit like pumps and I took the sole out and use them here and there, I don't think it's as thin as the barefoot shoes you see out there tbf

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Generally I like them. It depends which variety you get as to how goofy they look ... Vibram 5 Fingers, I'm lookin' at you ... but the goofy ones are often the best at the actual performance & benefits.

The key is you basically have to re-learn how to walk "properly", with an emphasis on walking on the balls of the feet rather than the heels.

Reactions: saj
Generally I like them. It depends which variety you get as to how goofy they look ... Vibram 5 Fingers, I'm lookin' at you ... but the goofy ones are often the best at the actual performance & benefits.

The key is you basically have to re-learn how to walk "properly", with an emphasis on walking on the balls of the feet rather than the heels.
yea the vibram look cool

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
yea the vibram look cool

Yes but ...

... be sure to get "toe socks" to wear with them, or else they will very quickly stink to high heaven.

1655221325643.png
or
1655221454416.png

The whole fad was started by a book about Mexican long-distance runners who used what are basically their traditional sandals. Of course, shoe companies were quick to capitalize on this.

Are those made out of old tire treads and leather thongs? Not sure, but pretty basic in any case.

1655237429878.png

Vibrams are fantastic imo. I crushed/broke my right big toe and the toe next to it in highschool. Either it's arthritis or inflammation but after wearing the Vibrams my feet feel like new. They strengthen your feet, they also look goofy but have been used to strike conversation up with the ladies before also lol.

Been in them for a decent while. Some look better than others. Most look kinda goofy if you have large feet, especially if they’re styled as casual shoes that aren’t straight, unapologetic athletic shoes. I never tried the vibrams, but big toe box standard shapes.

The key is to look for “zero drop” and a wide toe box construction.

Some I’ve had and my thoughts:

NB minimus 10v3. Good but not the most durable. They get stinky without socks.

Merrill Trail Glove 3s, similar feel to the NB, but more durable. They’re out of production. 5s we’re more narrow and not great for me. 6s are a little wider but not great compared to a 3.

Merrill Vapor gloves look great, my daughter has a pair of leather ones, and if they’d make another men’s, I’d buy them.

Xero Prio: just picked up a pair and they’re all kinds of comfortable, but a little chunky looking.

Altra Lone Peak 4s. Comfortable, but so much cushioning that’s even with orthotics they’re a bit unstable and rolly in stride for me. I’m always unconsciously aware that during any step they could do something weird that I’ll need to deal with. I’ve never rolled an ankle in them, but they feel like they want to too often.

Lems boots are comfortable but may look really clunky.

BedRock sandles. Awesome when you get them adjusted and set up to your foot. They have a lot of adjustability. The best sandle I’ve ever worn, and have done good miles a day in them.

I’ve seen other leather, casual/business casual shoes but can’t remember makers names.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have seen these "barefoot" shoe concepts around, but never tried them. As someone with mobility and balance issues, I am normally a heavy heel striker. Thin soled canvas pumps shift my walking style in a similar way, i.e I have to keep on the balls of my feet, and keep to short strides.

IMG_20210707_134839.jpg

For me personally, that is quite limiting. Straying further than the shop at the end of the road, is extremely tiring, physically and mentally. On bad health days, I cannot help but have to take longer, or wider, corrective steps to avoid going base over apex, and don't really have a free choice as to which part of my foot hits the ground first.

I need support and cushioning. I need to be able to slam my foot down in any given direction, without it impacting my knees or lower back. I certainly don't need to increase the level of concentration to remain upright, any more than I currently have to. So for me, barefoot shoes aren't viable. That said, those thin soles pumps can be quite comfortable around the house and garden, on the better health days.

Another thing with the "barefoot" shoe concept, is that you seem to have to pay a heck of a lot more money, to get these shoes that have a heck of a lot less materials. :001_tongu

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I did the "minimal" shoe thing for years. The only thing I have to show for it is a nasty case of plantar fasciitis. I honestly don't know where I went wrong. While I still kind of buy into the "feet strengthening" theory behind it, I also suspect cavemen and Mexican Indians aren't walking on as much concrete and tile floors as I do. Now I 'm all about structured footwear with good shanks and cushy outsoles, preferably that fit with my orthotics.

Seems to me the barefoot running fad has been dead for a few now; its more of a cult following now. (I meant that in the "cult classic film" way, not the lemonade drinking way, in case there's any doubt) There aren't as many "barefoot" and "minimal" options as there used to be in the "Born to Run" heyday. But they're still out there. Softstar is still going strong and makes some good shoes. I used to love their mocs. Vans and Chuck Taylors are old-school standbys too. Good luck and I hope you have better results than I did.

Top Bottom