What's new

Barbicide?

Hey guys, I am new to pipe smoking (haven't even smoked once yet) and I have acquired a couple of estate pipes that I want to clean and sanitize. I've been watching videos and reading forum posts on cleaning estate pipes, so I think I am good there. My question is more focused on sanitizing the stem.

I use barbicide to sanitize any vintage razors I purchase. I was wondering if anybody has used barbicide for this or thinks it would be ok to use it on a pipe stem. Thoughts?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Barbicide shouldn't hurt pipe stems. I used to soak my combs in them for years, but I doubt you need to worry. Run em under hot water and wipe with alcohol.

Yeah, I am going to have to go with @MrSmith on this one. One thing I have done is use OxiClean to get the oxidation off of badly oxidized stems. It takes some elbow grease to get the shine back, but it works great getting the stems back to looking new. There is a lot of sanding and polishing involved though.

I wouldn't use anything to clean your pipe that you couldn't (not that you would) every put into your body. I can (though gods know why I would ever want to) drink Everclear. Barbicide, not so much?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Everclear or high proof clear liquor is the way to go. Accept no substitutes!

If you’re unsure about whether or not to use Barbicide, barbicide.com may help you decide. Read the downloadable SDS. After reading it, I wouldn’t use it for my pipes. Pipe cleaners, Everclear and salt should do the trick.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Pipes go in my mouth. Nothing goes in my pipes which I also wouldn’t put in my mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Highly recommend these two threads. Specifically the salt treatment for estate pipes prior to smoking. I find that alcohol (everclear/otherr high proof food grade alcohol) gives me plenty peace of mind when cleaning pipes. I would certainly leave the barbicide to the razors.

Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Pipe Restorations with Pictures

I wouldn't use anything to clean your pipe that you couldn't (not that you would) every put into your body. I can (though gods know why I would ever want to) drink Everclear. Barbicide, not so much?

Everclear or high proof clear liquor is the way to go. Accept no substitutes!

Pipes go in my mouth. Nothing goes in my pipes which I also wouldn’t put in my mouth.

^^^What they said. Use Everclear. If I wouldn't drink it I don't use it on my pipes.

Although, unlike @Kriton I have been known to mix some Everclear with...something...to drink. Modern moonshine.

Good happy juice. You can run your car on it.

proxy.php

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Also, alcohol is a good solvent to dissolve tobacco tars, I suspect Barbicide would be less effective as a solvent. Alcohol will also remove the stain from your briar, so be careful not to get it on the outside of your briar pipes.

Everclear isn't really available where I live. Other suggestions for high proof vodka?

Top Bottom