What's new

Barbicide Gunk Buildup?

So after finalllllly getting barbicide after all these years of shaving to store and clean my razors, I get gunk buildup.

I'm using a $.99 glass bottle, with the right mixture of barbercide per water. I didn't have a lid, so I'm using a tin foil top.

I have both a straight razor and a DE razor stored in it. The glass container is about 2-3" wide and 5" high.

It's almost like a plastic residue that builds up.....thoughts?

Barbicide is for disinfecting your razors not for permanent storage. You're only supposed to soak them for 10 minutes then rinse them off.

If your straight has a plastic handle the barbicide could be eating away at it and when you take the razor out it is covers literraly in the handle. It could also be the plating wearing off. The only thing I leave sitting in my barbicide are my chepo plastic combs as I don't much care about them. I use it more to dip my razors than store them.

Regards
Dave

Oh jeeze haha! Don't barbers let them just stay in there?

It's a stainless steel shavette if that matters

Oh jeeze haha! Don't barbers let them just stay in there?

It's a stainless steel shavette if that matters

They do but they take them out frequently and if I had to guess they dont leave them in there over night. The stainless will help since its not plated (which can wear off) but generally speaking you should never leave anything in the barbicide. On the flip side now that I sit here thinking about it the metal piece that holds the combs in my barbicide jar sits in there all day and nothing happens to it but people have had a lot of issues so better not to leave anything in there.

Regards
Dave

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
From the Barbicide website;

Barbicide® will not harm your plastics or metals; however, it is not recommended that you leave items soaking for long periods of time. If you are using Barbicide® Plus, you should only leave your items in the solution for the required 10 minutes and then remove promptly, as Barbicide® Plus can damage plastics after prolonged contact.

Also remember that Barbicide properly mixed is 32 ounces of water and 2 ounces of Barbicide.
It's mostly water, and water can have a detrimental effect on items if left soaking for long periods.

There is a plastic wedge between the scales. That was the source of the gunk. Thanks everyone! Will just rinse now.

Unless you are sharing the razor with someone else, there is no need to even own Barbicide.

I don't know about that. It depends on the environment and the pathogens in the ambient air.

Let's take the average bathroom with two, three or more users. If you think that flushing a toilet doesn't put bacteria in the air, I humbly recommend a biology course that covers disease transmission vectors. Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome patients are isolated from other patients (or they were a few years ago) as the infection may be air born.

Disinfecting tools is never a bad idea. Yes, it might be "over-kill," but it's not going to make an "ok" situation worse.

-Jon

Let's take the average bathroom with two, three or more users. If you think that flushing a toilet doesn't put bacteria in the air, I humbly recommend a biology course that covers disease transmission vectors. Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome patients are isolated from other patients (or they were a few years ago) as the infection may be air born.

And a normal, healthy immune system will handle anything that you throw at it under conditions found in a typical home.

I'd be more concerned about that toothbrush and glass on the counter that is going into my mouth than a razor slicing the hair off of my skin.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And the dirtiest place in the typical home?
The kitchen counter.

People may want to overuse disinfectants, but as stated - in the typical home environment it is unnecessary.

There is emerging new evidence that our societies penchant for over using disinfectants is contributing to the increase of resistant strains of common organisms which our immune system was well equipped to deal with.

http://www.sfenvironment.org/article/cleaning-products/antibacterial-soaps-and-disinfectants

Last edited:
Top Bottom