What's new

Barbicide and aluminum

Note to self: barbicide doesn't play well with aluminum. Handle is off one of those American Red Cross Techs. $uploadfromtaptalk1410573546602.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1410573551852.jpg

Wow, yours is a cautionary tale. When I've used it on recently acquired vintage razors, they're in for a quick "swish" after the scrubbing bubbles and before the polishing. The question begs to be asked again...how long did you leave yours in?

Wow, yours is a cautionary tale. When I've used it on recently acquired vintage razors, they're in for a quick "swish" after the scrubbing bubbles and before the polishing. The question begs to be asked again...how long did you leave yours in?

I have to ask why you need both scrubbing bubbles barbicide? They both provide the same level of disinfection and polishing will actually remove contaminated metal, plus most germs don't survive long on metal anyway.

I wasn't aware that it wasn't designed for metal. I've heard a lot of guys on here say they use it for their newly acquired vintage razors. And I couldn't find anything on the label about metal or any other materials being incompatible. But to some of your points, I may have exceeded the 10 minute rule, annnd forgot about it overnight... Good news is I haven't had any trouble with any other razors or types of metal.

Lesson learned I suppose.

Well, considering it likely soaked at least 48 times longer than the recommended immersion time, not bad. I've found Barbicide to be safe with any metal or plating I've used - including stainless, Zamac, brass, heavy gold, nickel, chrome and rhodium plating, when soaked for the recommended time. There are some threads on the forum reporting damage to thin gold plate, and obviously it doesn't like aluminum for the long haul, so a cautionary note would be not to exceed recommended times; likely goes for plastics as well. Barbicide is an effective disinfectant, and less corrosive than other antimicrobials like bleach, but like any chemically reactive solution (the reason it's effective), should be used according to the label.

I have to ask why you need both scrubbing bubbles barbicide? They both provide the same level of disinfection and polishing will actually remove contaminated metal, plus most germs don't survive long on metal anyway.

Just call me obsessively thorough. There's probably some medical term for this compulsive behavior. My wifely unit would like me to exhibit the same disorder in our junk filled garage.:001_huh:
Yeah, I know it's overdoing things but have gotten much better since I stopped making vintage razor purchases last May.

My cautionary tale. Scrubbing bubbles "ruined" my E1 flare tip. Sprayed and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Little bubble patterns are etched all in the metal surface. Sad because it was perfect. Just a notch below what I would call mint.

I just prefer boiling myself. Just for non gold finished and I wouldn't boil "olds or news".

Top Bottom