What's new

Barbicide - alternatives

If you're planning on shaving a bunch of other people, follow the chart. If you're just going to shave yourself, load the new razor up with a copious amount of bathroom disinfectant (without bleach) like Scrubbing Bubbles and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

If I was concerned at all about contracting an exotic disease from an antique razor that's been high and dry for years, I'd just buy new.

+1 for adding the chart to the wiki. The most comprehensive summary I am aware of can be found at the CDC page on sterilization.

I'd like to add two things: some spores can survive up to 420° C, but they become *inactive* at temps above 160 according to Tom Gheysens from Ghent University in Belgium. As far as prions are concerned, you should leave the sterilization to a lab (or relocate to the sun (surface)) because denaturation of the proteins cannot be done at home.

As a rule of thumb, if you leave a polished metal clean and dry for 5 days almost all pathogens will die out - I heard this from Dr. Karl Kruszelnicki.

Top Bottom