What's new

Barbershop Scented Soaps

Newbie here. I've always loved the smell of old-fashioned barbershops, and am excited to see there are barbershop scented shaving soaps. I've also learned they don't all smell and perform the same. I would appreciate hearing your experiences with and opinions of different brands.

I started using RazoRock "What the Puck" soap in Barbershop scent that I got in a PIF a few months ago and really like it. Williams is my go to soap for years, so I'm broaden my horizons and trying other soaps.
It doesn't have an overpowering scent but a light scent that I enjoy.

Give it a try, you may be surprised.
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I started using RazoRock "What the Puck" soap in Barbershop scent that I got in a PIF a few months ago and really like it. Williams is my go to soap for years, so I'm broaden my horizons and trying other soaps.
It doesn't have an overpowering scent but a light scent that I enjoy.

Give it a try, you may be surprised.
proxy.php

Love WTP... Great scent, good performance, and it lasts and last.

I'd also recommend Mike's Natural Barbershop or Hendrix and Co Barbershop. Nearly the same traditional Barbershop scent, with Mike's being better in performance while Hendrix owns the scent side.

Welcome to B&B. [emoji846]

More info. in this thread. Barbershop scented soaps
yeah, there are 2 threads going simultaneously with the same question so i'll just copy and paste my response into both of them.... -

there are many different of interpretations of "the barbershop" scent depending on personal experience...

but for me - I used to have a European/Spanish barber in NYC (Manhattan) that always finished my haircuts by slapping around my neck, face, & forehead with a giant soft brush doused with Pinaud talc,... producing a wonderful comforting cloud of powdery goodness around my head.

So to me, the perfect barbershop scent that reminds me of those haircuts - is captured by Pinaud Clubman original aftershave, and i therefore recommend you pair that with Pinaud Clubman shave soap. The 2 of those are the perfect combo soap & splash of powdery yet manly barbershoppy'ness.

proxy.php

*(not my photo...copied from google images/youtube)

Last edited:
Fine American blend is in the ‘barbershop’ category IMO. The scent comes in a matching soap and splash that work very well for me! :a14::a14:

I only have experience with two barbershop soaps: Stirling and Mike’s. The Stirling is a great soap with a great scent. While I like Mike’s soaps, his barbershop has what I would describe as a mineral smell (not sure how accurate my description is). In this case, I prefer and can strongly recommend the Stirling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have experience with two barbershop soaps: Stirling and Mike’s. The Stirling is a great soap with a great scent. While I like Mike’s soaps, his barbershop has what I would describe as a mineral smell (not sure how accurate my description is). In this case, I prefer and can strongly recommend the Stirling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find that every once in a while I catch whiff of what I presumed was a tallow funk in Mike's. I wonder if that's the same thing you are smelling?

That said, I still like Mike's... Just not as much as Hendrix Classic.

Fine American blend is in the ‘barbershop’ category IMO. The scent comes in a matching soap and splash that work very well for me! :a14::a14:
And a “fine” scent it is. One of my favorites actually. I have to admit I mix the soap with another to get more tallow going on, but that scent... nom, nom!

the best barbershop scent i have ever smelt hands down is one we have down here in oz.. to me its a classic barbershop smell that i can remember smelling as a kid.. amazing scent

maker is squadron soaps, soap is called: The Warden

Noble Otter BarrBarr is a good barbershop scent that personally reminds me most of childhood barbershop smell. The notes are Lemon, Rosemary, Basil, Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Patchouli. Happy Shaves :)

I have found that Mikes Barbershop, Maggards London Barbershop and Cold River Soap Works American Barbershop all smell exactly the same to my nose. I assume that they use the same fragrance oil. I happen to like all of them for scent and performance.

I believe RazoRock has changed the name of "What the Puck" Blue Barbershop to "Blue Label" with the same Blue Barbershop scent.

I have found that Mikes Barbershop, Maggards London Barbershop and Cold River Soap Works American Barbershop all smell exactly the same to my nose. I assume that they use the same fragrance oil. I happen to like all of them for scent and performance.
You can add Hendrix to the list. To my nose, they just made it a stronger smell. Still seems to be the same scent.

I believe RazoRock has changed the name of "What the Puck" Blue Barbershop to "Blue Label" with the same Blue Barbershop scent.

Yep, that seems to be the case.

I think there is something a little different. Could be (likely) a new batch with more essential oils which will mellow over time. Something makes it, to my nose, a little off. Tiny tiny bit, but I smell it.

For my money moving forward for classic barbershop scents, it will be Fine American Blend. Not saying anything bad about the many others in my den, WTP, Ghost town barber, georges barbershop, etc, the FAM to me is the best smelling classic one of them all.

Top Bottom