What's new

Barbershop Scent

Pinaud Clubman is the classic Barbershop Scent.[\QUOTE]

Another vote for the Pinaud -- as classic as classic gets.

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone i have now purchased the Pinaud.
Also Sorry if i have offended anyone on here by mentioning "that i do not want too smell like every Deoderant smelling teen"
The meaning to this was alot of youngsters now days wear a Mainstream product that "I" personally find too be a little too synthetic.
However i understand i have stereotyped young people and this was not my intention.
Sorry to the board i hope you all understand.
Chris

This is the one which transports me back to the days when my father took me to the barber shop for a haircut... nothing says "1950s" like Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

proxy.php
Best post in the thread.

The Barbers themselves might smell like Cartier Santos and Rive Gauche, but 9/10 know better than to put something that heavy on a client. Light lime/lemon, some cooling mintiness/camphor, and maybe a little clove (Bay Rum) or masculine floral is what it is.

Lilac Vegetal, Bay Rum, Lime Sec, Osage Rub...that's the official ****.
Pinaud Clubman is common, but inferior to the above^

I nominate Creed's Selection Verte, cause it has all the aforementioned scents(citrus, clove, mint, green/floral), only a gazillion times classier than anything else similar...
...try it.

I am also now tossing up between two more pinaud fragrances.
Special Clubman Reserve
Pinaud Vanilla

I have already bought the Clubman so shouldi go with the Vanilla Next. Im trading for something i don't use so...
Thanks
Chris

There are a lot of different opinions on the Special Reserve, but I love it. I think that--like most Pinaud-related problems--complaints are due to a bad batch rather than the scent of the juice itself. It would be nice if Pinaud stepped up quality control a little, but I hate to complain when it's at about $5.00 a bottle. Anyway, they're both so cheap--why choose? Also, don't shy away from the Lilac Vegetal, Citrus Musk, Musk, Lime, Eau de Portugal and Eau de Quinine. You can buy them all for the price of a mediocre jug of department store fragrance. Live a little!

Boosters Polar Ice, or Lucky Tiger Aspen aftershaves remind me of the barbershop my dad took me to. That shops still there and the barber shaves your neck with a straight razor and uses a brush and soap, and then finishes things of with your choice of clubman products or an after shave balm. It's truly a treat to visit that shop.

Clayton

The Clubman Vanilla is my third favorite after Clubman and Lilac Vegetal! A bit less 'barbershop' and a bit more 'leathery' IMHO.

H

Hanzo

Your instincts are right. TOBS Shaving Shop is a nice cologne. Had it on yesterday and the wife said " Now thats nice". Shaving Shop is not American barbershop 50's era though, its a tad more refined , its what a gentlemanly British shaving shop would smell like I imagine. Nice stuff.

Grafton
Caswell-Massey Jockey Club
Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne
Royall Muske

or, for something a bit off the beaten path

Antico Caruso by Profumum

Unfortunately, my barbershop nostalgia is quite limited, but Pen's English Fern and Murray/Lanman Florida water are both top contenders, IMO (probably the clove).

Pinaud Clubman
Lucky Tiger Aspen
Booster Polar Ice

The only way you could smell more "Barber Shop" is to soak in a jar of Barbacide!

I completely agree with Booster Polar Ice. IMHO it is THE most "barbershop" smelling product there is...probably even more so than the classic Pinaud Clubman :eek: (I know many won't be with me on this). Smells like they managed to put the barbershop in the bottle.

I bought a bottle of Hoyt's Cologne this weekend, and I want to add it to my list of classic barbershop scents. It has a nice citrus smell, along with a darker note of some kind. Maybe it's structurally similar to Pinaud's Citrus Musk, with a citrus note that differs from the sweet limeness of CM. I got a nice 2 oz glass bottle--the larger size comes in plastic. Like Florida Water, it's also said to have some magical properties--I can't vouch for that yet.

Question on the Clubman Vanilla--is it really a leathery scent? I've been thinking of picking up a bottle, but I envisioned some kind of sweet, cookie-like scent. Any thoughts?

Question on the Clubman Vanilla--is it really a leathery scent? I've been thinking of picking up a bottle, but I envisioned some kind of sweet, cookie-like scent. Any thoughts?

I would not call it a true leather. To me it's still very much a Fougère like regular Clubman with a slight leather and oriental note. I find it very reminiscent of British Stirling or Jade East while the regular clubman is very reminiscent of Canoe. It's a bit sweeter than Clubman but a bit spicier also. A very pleasant scent and one of my gotos. I like to use it after using Tabac soap for shaving. My only complaint is that it is not as long lasting compared to the regular.

Last edited:
I've been using T&H Grafton lately and I think it screams barbershop scent more than anything else I've tried. The barbershop quality is oddly enough more apparent in the shaving cream than in the ASB or the EDC though.

If you're looking for something (a lot) cheaper than T&H, Old Spice Classic has always seemed very barbershop-y to me as well.

Top Bottom