What's new

Barbershop scent

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I don't know what barbershops you went to, but the one my father used in the late 1960's and early 1970's smelled like old leather, an ashtray, and lots of flatulence. Throw in some Vitals hair tonic and every now and then the scent of the Cambell's Hot Lather machine running. That is my childhood memory of the classic barbershop scent.
No wonder I let my hair grow out.
So then, Clubman SR is your barbershop scent?

My barbershop. It's gone from a decidedly Italian place to a more cosmopolitan shop since I first went in the 1990s (my barber is a Russian woman), but Frank Sinatra still predominates. I'll have to try out my olfactories next time I go (I switched to classic DE shaving after I last went).

proxy.php

Pinaud Clubman is THE classic barbershop aftershave to me. When I was growing up , the barbers always got hot shaving cream out of a machine and shaved the back of my neck with a straight razor. That was followed with a splash of Clubman and dusting of talc with a brush. All of the barber shops I went to used Clubman, so I assume they were purchased wholesale through a barber/beauty supply company. I don't remember my dad or anybody else's dad ever having Clubman in the home, however, so I associate it strictly with barbershops. Yes, there are other scents which evoke memories of the barber shops of my youth, such as leather (from the chairs), tobacco smoke, shaving cream (Barbasol?), talc, and hair tonic, but in my experience, Clubman was it as far as aftershaves.

Top Bottom