What's new

barbershop sanitary practices?

I've tried searching but can't really come up with an answer for my question, so I'll post it here, and hopefully put my germophobe mind at ease.

Want to get into straight razor shaving, so figured I'd go to the barber to get one done, just to see what the experience is like and how close a straight really gets. There's a place close to me and I know someone who's been before so I gave it a shot.

The barber was really talkative and happy to explain all that he was doing. He told me how he no longer uses a fixed blade nowadays - too much work to sharpen and sanitize, so he uses the shavette type with a DE snapped in half, a new blade for every customer. I thought this was good and obviously he's concerned with being sanitary.

But I didn't realize till the day after, that he used a styptic pencil on me in two places with a drop of blood (I don't think he really nicked me, just the prep could have been better and I normally don't respond overly well to S-N passes). Anyway, this was just something he pulled out of a drawer, not a new package or anything, so I'm assuming he uses this same styptic pencil on every customer that needs it. This kind of creeps me out considering you'd only use it where there's blood. I know it's antiseptic and all, and he dunked the whole thing in water - do you think this washes anything off, or the alum itself kills anything bad? Or is this a bad practice and every customer should get their own fresh styptic just like a fresh blade?

Thanks for the advice.

In all honesty, the alum is going to kill any nasties.

He is likely (depending on your state/province) required by law to use disposable blades and to avoid using a brush for lathering... but things like the styptic pencil are the kinds of things overlooked by the law, as well as by barbers.
If you were to ask me what I have in my shave den, I would likely fail to mention the styptic pencil and Proraso styptic gel, because I can't remember the last time I used them.

And that is something you might want to mention to him... Proraso makes a styptic gel in a small tube.
http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Proraso-Shave-Cut-Healing-Gel.html
That eliminates the issue of the same styptic pencil being actually touched to multiple customers.

Welcome to the B&B!

If you are worried, go and ask the barber the last time he applied the pencil on somebody prior to you. According to my reading, hepatitis can survive 7 days outside of the body, HIV only for a minute. Tell the Barber he really should use something else, like Rich suggests.

I don't know that a styptic pencil kills viruses, it's an anticoagulant which staunches wounds and prevents bacteria from entering the wound, I just don't know about viruses - but I would like know for sure one way or the other.

This is just from my reading, I am not an expert.

-jim

I might bring this question up next time I talk to a doctor. Would be very interesting to know the answer. Here is something interesting:

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=94249
(2) Flow of blood. Alum or any other material used to stop the flow of blood shall be used only in liquid or powdered form. The use of the common styptic pencil and lump alum is prohibited.

And that is not the only site I found, apparently it most states it is illegal. Now whether that is necessary or just being overly cautious is another matter entirely.

Looking down the list on that link, no barber shop I ever used conforms to all of those standards.

As a barber, I can tell you straight up, that styptic pencils are prohibited for use in Iowa. If inspectors find them in our shops, there will be heavy fines and possible loss of license. However, styptic powder or liquid styptic is to be used (applied with a dampened Q-Tip, and then safely discarded after use). Disposable styptic sticks (looks like a matchstick) can also be used, but must be properly discarded after single use. The sanitation practice is to never touch the tool (styptic pencil) which has been against one customer's broken skin, to that of another customer's broken skin. If the barber you mention actually used a true styptic "pencil", then that practice is strictly prohibited.

aceinyerface... since no barbers you've been to adhere to all sanitary practices, might I suggest you find one that does. Herein is the rub...

Last edited:
aceinyerface... since no barbers you've been to adhere to all sanitary practices, might I suggest you find one that does. Herein is the rub...

Since you are a barber, let us talk.

My brother has a mole on his neck, and when we were children it always seemed to get nicked drawing blood with electric clippers. I've never seen anyone sanitize following drawing blood. How do you sterilize the metal heads of your electric clippers? Do you do it between each customer? Have you ever drawn blood with an electric clipper?

Around here, the barbers are like politicians, there are no good ones but you can choose from the field of bad ones hoping to find the one who sucks less.

As a bacteriocide, alum is jast about perfect- it ruptures the cell wall, by drawing fluid out of the cell, basically rupturing everything inside. As a viricide, not so much. Many viruses will encyst quickly, remaining dormant until the environment is more favorable.

Something to bear in mind, HIV is not "a" virus, but a family, with several variations. *Probably* more communicable than the CDC and various political groups want you to believe, not nearly so much as many fear.

My brother has a mole on his neck, and when we were children it always seemed to get nicked drawing blood with electric clippers. I've never seen anyone sanitize following drawing blood. How do you sterilize the metal heads of your electric clippers? Do you do it between each customer? Have you ever drawn blood with an electric clipper?

Yes, the clippers/trimmers are to be wiped clean after each customer, then sprayed with an approved Clippercide (wide spectrum disinfectant/de-contaminant), then allowed to rest for 10 minutes. I practice this each time, every time. If the barber would spray his clippers down directly after use, the Clippercide would have enough time to kill any bacteria/virus, before using it on the next customer. Why would a barber not do this, is beyond me. Many customers have contact scalp dermititus, etc... If the barber doesn't spray/disinfect his clippers, then he's just passing the scalp condition onto the next customers. Yes, I have scratched skin using a trimmer. When this happens, the clippers/trimmers are properly cleaned and sanitized, while another pair is used in its place as a back-up. We actually perform a hot-towel massage and warm lather neck shave (using a shavette) on each of our custmers instead of just trimming the hair with electric trimmers. Each shavette (scales and metal blade holder) is santized between customers (I have 30 shavettes at my station alone, sanitized, loaded, and ready to go... just in case I don't have time at that moment to rinse the razors that have been soaking in Barbacide and set them in the UV sterilizer.)

Around here, the barbers are like politicians, there are no good ones but you can choose from the field of bad ones hoping to find the one who sucks less.

Now this is funny!:biggrin1:

Last edited:
In Pennsylvania, the pencil and blocks are also not allowed. Most here use the gel or the powder, but I have seen the match stick type ones around too. I, being overly concerned, take my own match book stypic with me when Mario does my shave. He has no problem with it, but your barber might get offended. Mario is in his 80's, so lots of stuff gets past him. I always look for the sanitizer the combs are in, and be sure his UV system is being used... almost time for the old dog to hang it up, but alas, then another skilled man fades from us.

Yes, the clippers/trimmers are to be wiped clean after each customer, then sprayed with an approved Clippercide (wide spectrum disinfectant/de-contaminant), then allowed to rest for 10 minutes. I practice this each time, every time. If the barber would spray his clippers down directly after use, the Clippercide would have enough time to kill any bacteria/virus, before using it on the next customer. Why would a barber not do this, is beyond me. Many customers have contact scalp dermititus, etc... If the barber doesn't spray/disinfect his clippers, then he's just passing the scalp condition onto the next customers. Yes, I have scratched skin using a trimmer. When this happens, the clippers/trimmers are properly cleaned and sanitized, while another pair is used in its place as a back-up. We actually perform a hot-towel massage and warm lather neck shave (using a shavette) on each of our custmers instead of just trimming the hair with electric trimmers. Each shavette (scales and metal blade holder) is santized between customers (I have 30 shavettes at my station alone, sanitized, loaded, and ready to go... just in case I don't have time at that moment to rinse the razors that have been soaking in Barbacide and set them in the UV sterilizer.)

Now this is funny!:biggrin1:

We need you down here then. No one, I mean NO barber/hairdresser down here sterilizes their equipment between customers. I have never seen it. Even the corporate places like Superwaste.

Last edited:
We need you down here then. No one, I mean NO barber/hairdresser down here sterilizes their equipment between customers. I have never seen it. Even the corporate places like Superwaste.

This kind of stuff is starting to get me in an angry state of mind. It literally takes seconds to spray down the clippers and the scissors! So, to me there is no excuse. I'm not a germ-a-phobe at all, but man, I try my hardest to adhere to our sanitation practices. I'm dealing with the health of all of my clients! I agreed to uphold the requirements of my license, and that includes all sanitation practices too. I even sanitize my hands (hand sanitizer) between each customer (which all barbers are required to do)... and that literally takes no seconds or time at all. I remember stories of times gone by, when barbers were proud of their sanitation practices. They took pride in making sure each client's health was of the utmost importance to them. I am not perfect, but sanitation stuff has just become part of my subconsious; not something I have to tell myself to do... it's just what I do before hanging my clippers, or sitting my scissor down, etc...

Gosh, I certainly hope you can find a barber who adheres to sanitation practices... there's got to be someone who takes it seriously in Baton Rouge. Look to see if the barbers in the shop you frequent spray clippers down AFTER you pay (before the next customer), or before they start on you. Look around and see at least what IS being done. Are they using neck-strips or a neck towel around your neck, before fastening the cape? Are the combs used coming out of the Barbacide jar? IS THERE EVEN A BARBACIDE JAR?!

Here in SoCal, the GUARDS from the clippers go into the Barbicide.

I've never once seen the cutting blades treated in any way, even after using them bare on the neck or around the ears.
Just pop the guard off if one was used and the clippers go back into the bench holster without being unplugged.

Couple of times I've seen scissors dipped, but not often.

Of course, things may be different now, as the last time I was in a barber shop of any kind was around 2003 before I bought my own clippers and just started buzzing with a #4 guard.
The #4 turned into a #3 and in 2006 I went to the shaved look and haven't looked back.

It is getting about time for another haircut anyway, I'll report back and specifically look for what is being done.

I have occasionally seen the paper neck strip, but for the most part, the last customer gets up and pays, the barber pops the cape and says "Next". I can say, no I haven't seen any Barbacide dipped anything (in any shop) since the old man retired at the LSU Student Union (he was the last of the dying breed, razor finish on the neck, hot lather, razors and combs all in green cleaning fluid, but he never cleaned his clippers or scissors that I noticed)

It is getting about time for another haircut anyway, I'll report back and specifically look for what is being done.

I have occasionally seen the paper neck strip, but for the most part, the last customer gets up and pays, the barber pops the cape and says "Next". I can say, no I haven't seen any Barbacide dipped anything (in any shop) since the old man retired at the LSU Student Union (he was the last of the dying breed, razor finish on the neck, hot lather, razors and combs all in green cleaning fluid, but he never cleaned his clippers or scissors that I noticed)

Here's a common sanitation practice that I believe all barbers (in all states) are required to adhere to: A new paper neckstrip or clean cotton neck towel must be used between the neck skin of the customer and the collar of the cape, for each customer. Meaning, a new neckstrip must be between the client's skin and the collar of the cape. Each customer should get a brand new neckstrip or new, clean neck towel. This is so the cape's collar doesn't directly contact the skin of any client. Think about this: Dandruff falls off one client and gets imbedded into the underside of the cape's collar. So now, that same cape is fastened around the neck of a new client, transferring the previous dandruff dust onto the skin of the new client. If neckstrips or new neck towels are not used, the barber is required to use a brand new (freshly laundered) cape for each new customer. This means that if the barber services 30 customers each day, 30 fresh laundered capes must be used... one for each of the customers. This gets expensive (lots of capes to buy and launder daily). The sanitary paper neckstrips are more cost effective, and meet sanitation requirements.

I'm quite interested to find out what you discover during your next haircut. Keep me posted, please.

Dave King, a member here (although I don't think he posts much), is a barber in the Dallas area but cannot find a place to work that is suitable in terms of sanitation and hygiene. He's posted a fair amount of info on sanitation and hygiene at his site, which used to be the page for his shop.

No one, I mean NO barber/hairdresser down here sterilizes their equipment between customers. I have never seen it. Even the corporate places like Superwaste.

If that is the case then I would be making several phone calls to find out exactly who is responsible for maintaining the legal sanitation standards at barbers, etc. And then I would be starting several fires under those people's posteriors to get the problems addressed. The health and public safety regulations are THE single most important aspect of operating a barber shop.

Got a haircut today.

There was spray disinfectant for the clippers, not that I saw them use it, but it was slow. The were jars for Barbacide at every station, all but one was empty. One had 2 inches of stuff in it. No neck napkins or fresh towels.

Top Bottom