What's new

Barbershop or cut your own hair?

Do you go to a Barbershop or cut your own hair??

• I go to a Barbershop everytime. I love the old time experience!

• I cut my own hair. I don't have to wait in line and it saves me money!

• I don't have enough hair to cut it. I shave my head!

• None of the baove. My wife, girlfriend or mother does.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Inspired by all these stories, I nearly picked up a set of clippers at the store last night. My initial thought was to have my wife clean up and straighten my neck line once a week since I shave it in the shower and surely do a good job wrecking it. Then the recent heat wave made me think maybe she could at least trim up the back/sides between visits to the chair. It can't be that hard with the plastic guards on, right? :) Didn't do it, but going to read up a bit, first.

Can't remember if I mentioned it but last month I saw a trimmer with a rotating head to make it easier to cut your own hair in back. It was a a TJMaxx or Marshalls so I don't remember the brand and it was gone when I went back.

I visit the Men's Salon in the basement of the Royal York Hotel in Toronto on the way to work every 4-5 weeks for an all scissor cut & neck shave(tte). Tony and his colleagues run a good old-school shop. I've never had a shave there...prefer to do that myself. I set of clippers keeps me (somewhat) presentable between cuts.

My friend whos a barber cuts mine for free.I go once a month for a "bald fade".He buzzes the top with a #2(open),then cuts around above the ear mid temple with a t-blade and takes a straight razor to it and fades it using 1/16 closed,#1,then blends in with a #2 closed and lines up my headline with a Dovo.He uses this mixture of Clubman and alcohol as an astringent(burns like hell) rubs in a lotion called EZ Shave,and finishes off with a dusting of Clubman talc on a brush,which actually cools it fast.He uses this clear shave gel from EZ Shave as well.If I need to touch up,Ill use my Wahl detailers and Wahl Seniors.I think Wahl makes the best clippers and have the best customer service.
http://www.howtobecomeabarber.com/e-z_blade

Last edited:
Voted "I don't have enough hair to cut it. I shave my head!" even though I do still have enough hair. Just prefer not having to style or comb anything.

The wife has cut my hair for close to 12 years now. I prefer a fade so it gets cut about twice a month and I buy new clippers every two years (about $25) so it works out to .52 per cut.

I'm an insufferable cheap skate, I bought a cheap set of clippers and let the wife have at it, I don't like the way she does it but I can't trust my 11yr old to do it for me and I do the boys hair (ex-mil, used to shave/trim lotsa heads)

Barbershop in summer and myself I cut my hair in winter.

In winter I'll do a all even haircut and at the barbershop I'll do a taper fade or a low fade

Top Bottom