What's new

Barbershop or cut your own hair?

Do you go to a Barbershop or cut your own hair??

• I go to a Barbershop everytime. I love the old time experience!

• I cut my own hair. I don't have to wait in line and it saves me money!

• I don't have enough hair to cut it. I shave my head!

• None of the baove. My wife, girlfriend or mother does.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Self inflicted buzz cut for about a year and a half now. Click a #4 guard on and go several directions. Then click a # 2 on and at neckline and around the ears and temples. Clip down neck with no guard by holding a finger over hairline.

I'm in sales so this hair style was a big decision. I wasn't sure how well it would go over. It seems the bigger my forehead gets the shorter I like my hair.
I am satisfied with my self inflicted buzz cut. I'll keep this cut until it makes sense to go shorter. The bigger the forehead the shorter the do.

I go to a barber shop on the first floor of my building sometimes - maybe 4 time per year. For the most part, my wife cuts my hair with Wahl trimmers and does a bang-up job. She knows how to fade, and cuts my hair how she likes it... small sacrifices to look good. It doesn't save me money, though. I have to give her the 20 bucks every time. Often, she will try to cut it every week... hmmm.... sounds like a hustle to me!

Regards,

Paul

I visit a barber once in a while but for the most part I have a "hair stylist." The barber I visit uses the old warm shave cream dispenser, str8 on the neck and around the ears and talc. The problem is the line ups. I can wait over an hour on a good day before I sit in the chair. When I get the "hair stylist" to cut it I'm in and out in 20min.

During the summer before 5th grade started (I was 9 or 10), my friend and I decided that we were going to grab my dad's clippers and give ourselves both buzzcuts in my backyard. It worked pretty well. Mom wasn't pleased at first, but it was summer and she didn't care too much. I've been cutting my own hair ever since (so about 25 years). In that time I've had my hair cut at a barber or a salon exactly 3 times, and only out of necessity.

The first was to get my hair cut for my senior pictures, because I didn't want to mess it up. The 2nd was when I got to College and needed my first "Military" haircut for ROTC. I wanted the barber to cut it, so I could see what I needed to do. They gave me a high and tight fade and that is how I have been cutting my hair ever since. The third time anyone else ever cut my hair, I was deployed to Africa and I was using rechargeable clippers and the battery died mid-cut. I ran to the barber to have them finish it. Even though I was mostly done with it myself they still managed to mess it up. How hard is a high and tight really? And they were barbers on a base!

All I do is use the longest setting or guard (usually 3/4 - 7/8 inch) and I buzz the whole thing. Then I do the rest of the cut with no guard. I cut the sides and the back, then I do the fade by hand by placing the clipper on the side of my head and just pushing it straight up. I can usually get almost all of the back without even using a second mirror.

I have also been giving haircuts to both of my sons. The only haircuts that I haven't given them are the ones they got while I was/am deployed.

Personally, I would love to go to a barber, a real one. But they aren't as cheap as they used to be and I just can't justify the expense.

There isn't a single barber in the state of North Dakota that knows how to fade.
That is probably because no one gets fades anymore except for people in the military.
So does that mean you think there are no military members or bases in North Dakota?

Last edited:
Barbershop and I hate it. I would cut it myself but cannot decide on the technique so I might get the clippers and start again. I was wondering if anyone uses the styling razor (with double edge blades) to cut / trim hair?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Cut my own. Buzz cut tapered close sides and back, with moderate whitewalls. I use rechargeable cordless clippers.

Surprised nobody posted this one right out of the gate!

But seriously I go to a salon, and have had the same Stylist since I was 15. Barbershops are nice for a quick clean up but IMO Salons are just better at styling hair and pampering you....
$flowbee.jpg

Last edited:
I answered "shave my head". I do that with a 5/8 A.J. Jordan Sheffield blade. I have used Proraso, Arko, Spieck, Godrej, Williams, and Mama Bear's Masonic Lodge and had perfect results with each of them. Afterward, I use a decommissioned synthetic brush (my first one before I knew any better) to apply some Pinaud Finest Talc.

It was daunting at first and then one day I decided to just pay attention, avoid being timid and just did it nick and cut free.

I know you asked a simple question but it is 1:26 a.m. and I have had six cafecitos - sorry for the book.

I used to get a clipper cut done professionally, but eventually figured I could do the same thing at home. I've been clippering my own hair for about three years.

My hair's thinning and receding, so I've stopped being fancy. #1 guard buzz cut all around once a week. No more combing or brushing, no messy bed-head when I wake up in the morning. It's sort of liberating, actually.

I go to a salon, sadly no barbershops in my area. I went to a barbershop on campus once during my College days and got one of the worst haircuts of my life.

SWMBO buzzes my head about every two weeks with a Wahl. 3/8 on the back and sides, 3/4 on the top. Best $25 I ever spent

Being located near Ft Rucker we have several barbershops in enterprise. Over the years i have had my hair cut by salons and the barbershop, depending on what length of hair i had at the time. High school for instance my hair would either touch th bridge of my nose, top of my lip, or go to my chin in the front and therefore the salon always cut my hair.

After high school I got my hair cut pretty similar til i was 21. My mom complained about my hair length christmas time that year because she didnt want my hair long so she said go get your hair cut and more than an inch this time. So i followed her wishes and lol my hair went from touching my lip in the front to a 2 on the sides blended into a 3 up top.

At first everyone was shocked but we all loved it. Next time it was a 1 up top and a 0 on the sides. Ever since then i have been going to the barbershop primarily and never come out with my hair longer than an ivy-league haircut. It still only cost me $8.00 at my military barber for a military cut or head shave, warm lather neck shave and a very short shoulder and neck massage. Followed by Clubman.

I got tired of paying the $10 every month and needing a haircut more often then that and he never gets it right. I always have to do a trim or clean up when I get home so I bought a nice set of clippers with all the attachments. Wife and I watched the video and I let her go to it. She got it right the very first time. No big thing to it any way. #3 for sides and #4 for the top. Left and right tapers and she cleans up the neck area.
I like my hair real short down here in south where it does get hot. Wife cuts my hair every two weeks now and I was never happier.
The clippers paid for themselves after the first two and half cuts.
Wife has been cutting my hair now for about a year twice a month. That would be about $240 a year to be unhappy with my barber! Leaves more money for the shave den supplies.

Top Bottom