What's new

Barbers Hones Reviews and comparisons.

Sorry Ian for derailing. If you anyone is interested to see my knives on instagram add me jeremybrooks13. Nice to see everyone here tho

I take off the former edge with a 6k JIS. In the case of two sided stones, I use both sides of the stone.

Just curious Ian, why not test the fine side off of the 6k JIS.
I realize they were meant to be used together but the coarse side would not be used often.
Some of the combination hones had a fine side that was really fine and hard to get a good read on from using the coarse side first.
Frictionite as an example. Its hard to remove the damage from the coarse side without creating a wire edge giving more than normally needed on the fine side to clean up the coarse side.
The panama (black finish side model) has a ridiculously fine finish side but the coarse side is in the 4-6 range. Off a 6k JIS the finish side would be a much improved edge from the coarse side to finish result.
Many of the combo hones I would not use the coarse side on but would certainly use the finish side.

Is there any chance that the hone review man can go to the first message and edit it to have a sorted list or hones reviewed? That is, sorted by performance, perhaps in groups (best, ok, poor).

I could probably request a moderator to update periodically with a list by making it and sending it to them, but giving me edit permission to a specific thread or post might be outside the options available on the sites software. I just started a new job and a 3week difeq course as well as two engineering courses, so I’m pretty swamped right now and won’t be updating much, but once things calm down I’ll inquire about that.

[Edit test, seems to work].
I think we can modify our own posts, I am testing that right here.

Good luck with the new job. I presume you are referring to Differential Equations. When I finished that course, I did not understand what I learned.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
There’s a limit on the time you have to edit your post.

Good luck with the new job, Ian.

Top Bottom