What's new

Barber video.honing and shave

Hi all

Not sure if this was ever shared before but I found this video on you tube today. Not sure if anyone here can translate?

Stone seems to be cuticle with oil
Pasted stroppy seems to be dovo red and black paste?

He also hand strops like Livi

It's pretty much what I expected to see It's a high use tool to him and he treats it as such. His floor tiles distract me in the 2nd video. Make me wish I had a Q-bert machine...

He must use the coticule as an edge setter and then refines on the pastes (dovo?).

I find the hand stropping only, interesting

If you watch videos of livi he seems to lead into every stone he touches with pressure and each pass he seems to dial it back some. Idk what his logic is as his blades are so thin. Maybe both of them are trying to create an intentionally convex bevel, idk.

If you watch videos of livi he seems to lead into every stone he touches with pressure and each pass he seems to dial it back some. Idk what his logic is as his blades are so thin. Maybe both of them are trying to create an intentionally convex bevel, idk.

With a knife, it would be like using a slightly finer stone as you use less pressure. I don't hone yet though. So cannot say with certainly.

You can see the considerable frown on the narrow razor at the beginning of the first video. Looks like the result of pressure on the coti and stropping technique.

The thing with the pin is him explaining why the hone has a metric butt-ton of gouges in it. That baby was rode hard and put away wet.

I wasn't sure if he was explaining a hardness test or not, with the pin. What are those pins for? I always have so many questions when I see these videos and the best ones are always in language I don't understand.

It's just a random pin for illustration purposes. Pretty sure he was just explaining how the gouges got there, didn't actually do it himself. Somebody apparently used the stone to grind narrow tools or hooks or scribers, etc. gouging it in the process. That's why there's Arkies! And pressure control.

My wife is Italian but can understand Spanish a little.
He is telling you about the hardness of the stone with regards to the pin and how it gauges easily

Top Bottom