What's new

Barber Shop Shave

I have never had a barber shop or someone else shave me with a straight razor. Let's hear it from those of you who have. Was it as close as you can do on your own, straight razor, double-edged safety razor or otherwise? Was it comfortable? Get any cuts? Will you do it again, or do you do this routinely? Tell us how it went, how and buy whom the shave was obtained.

Thanks!
Tony

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Once when I was in my 30s. Amazing shave. Hot towel for a few minutes. They had a warm lather machine. Shave was with a straight and REALLY close. No irritation and I didn't need to shave for a couple days after.

Covid restrictions were in place until the last year or so, I haven't pursued one since.

I'd say look at reviews of your barbershop beforehand, if yhe reviews are positive and include a mention of a shave go for it.

Got my first one in the early eighties, after I broke my arm and couldn't hold a razor. That was with a real straight. Hot towels, the works. Brilliant shave. Got them periodically though the 80's and 90's, but the law had changed and they were shavettes. Can't say I noticed a huge difference, it is all down to the prep and the skill of the barber.

Had my last one in 2000, in rural India. Great shave, massage, but then the barber, who looked about 17, moved behind me and--without any warning--cracked my neck. As he re-positioned to do the other side, I swore I saw a headline in the Times of India about a tourist becoming a paraplegic in a tragic barbershop accident.

I just exhaled deeply, closed my eyes, and hoped for the best... I've not climbed into the chair since. :p

lasta

Blade Biter
Got my first one in the early eighties, after I broke my arm and couldn't hold a razor. That was with a real straight. Hot towels, the works. Brilliant shave. Got them periodically though the 80's and 90's, but the law had changed and they were shavettes. Can't say I noticed a huge difference, it is all down to the prep and the skill of the barber.

Had my last one in 2000, in rural India. Great shave, massage, but then the barber, who looked about 17, moved behind me and--without any warning--cracked my neck. As he re-positioned to do the other side, I swore I saw a headline in the Times of India about a tourist becoming a paraplegic in a tragic barbershop accident.

I just exhaled deeply, closed my eyes, and hoped for the best... I've not climbed into the chair since. :p
Neck pain helps keep attention away from irritation.

I had my first barbershop shave almost 10years ago. Maybe a few years after I started using a double edge. I mainly remember being very nervous about it, mainly getting cut. After he started maybe around the neck area, I started to fall asleep. It was a very relaxing experience. But for the prices now I’m happy I bought a, replaceable blade straight edge, and will occasionally do it on my own.

I will say it was smooth but against the grain not so much. An against the grain with my 34c was a bit smoother. And if I shave with one of my other razors properly stretching the skin, I will say even better.

I’ve had it done both with straight and a shavette.

First one was the local barber in my hometown, old school shave, I still remember feeling the hot blade when it first touched my skin right after he did a dozen of passes with the strop that was hanging straight from the chair, I cannot recall ever feeling the blade cutting, that was the smoothest BBS I’ve ever had.

Second one was a more recent barber with a shavette, not so good, lots of irritation from him going too many times over the same areas, specially the goatee area, next couple of days I felt my face had received a skin transplant. Haven’t got one since.

I had one once by the woman who did my hair... she was a classically trained barber. (right down to the straight razor tattoos :) ) She gave me the full hot towel treatment and it was an awesome experience and shave. She used a straight razor and gave me the closest shave Iever had and it took more than a day to feel any stubble. She moved out of the area so it's not an available option anymore... but I would if I could as a periodic treat for myself.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Had my last Barber Shop Straight Razor shave in a Barber Shop in Camberwell a suburb of Melbourne back in the early 1990’s. Not towels, hot lather the works and a face massage with Bay Rum Aftershave lotion afterwards. Stropped the Straight razor in front of me and then gave me one of the best shaves of my life. If I went to a Barber now and was offered a shave with a Shavette or a DE razor I would decline.

Had one at the Art of Shaving in NYC and it was terrible. Guy went over the same spot over and over and set my skin on fire.

Had another at Mole in NYC a few years later and it was amazing. Barely felt the blade and zero irritation.

Get the right barber and its a nice once-in-a-while indulgence.

Yeah. I’m spoiled.

Here in Japan, every non-super cuts level hair cut comes with shampoo, conditioner, massage, and shave.

The shave. You will have parts of your head shaved you never knew you needed shaved…with a shavette. Oh your earlobe looks fuzzy, I’ll get it. Outer ear have some peach fuzz…whack…gone. Forehead a little cavemanish? No problem. Hey look, bet you didn’t know you had a unibrow…neither will anyone else. Oh. Thought you could hide this one huh? Your eyelids looks like cute little peaches…now it’s like mini baby butts.

It varies though. Another place I went to that touted themselves as the go to for beards….used carts on a shavette stick. Beyond weird…and disappointing.

I haven't had a barbershop shave for 5 years. It was the day I had the barber take it all off and went from a typical thinning (terrible looking) to my alter ego (see avatar) Mr. Clean! Long story short when my barber passed I'd told him a year or so before that once he passes I'll be taking it all off.

So because of this thread I had to get one and today was the day! She was an amazing barber! I never had a barber shave with so many steps! It had all the pictures products so far more elaborate than an old school barber shave. It was simply amazing and I left feeling like a million dollars and like I'd had a solid nights sleep though I didn't sleep, just dozed a couple times.

20230224_110410.jpg

20230224_120826.jpg

20230224_130719.jpg

Used to get one every now and again from a real old-school guy in Devizes, Wiltshire back in the very early 2000s. I’m sure he’s long dead now. Only trusted him because I guy I worked with had been going there for 20+ years. Outside of trips to places like India, Singapore, Japan, I’ve not had once since. I honestly wouldn’t trust anyone in the US or UK to do it nowadays.

Twice in the 80's. Better shave than I could achieve. Close, comfortable, didn't need to shave for several days after.

Doubtful I would have someone else shave me these days.

I had a couple of shaves each at two different experienced barbers 30 odd years ago. They were okay shaves, no complaints, but nothing special either.

Was a pleasant enough experience being pampered like that, but never felt the urge to do it again. Maybe because it was impossible to fully relax while a strange man ran a straight (i.e. non-safety) razor blade repeatedly across my throat.

Top Bottom