What's new

Barber Shop Shave

So, I'll be skipping my morning shave tomorrow and going to get a shave at state street barbers in boston on Saturday (www.statestreetbarbers.com). For those of you have been to one of these high end shops for a straigh shave, do you find that they do a really good job and give you a bbs shave? I'm bringing a couple of friends who are thinking about taking up wetshaving, I think if they have a good experience, they'll convert. Also, I'm about to start shaving with a straight so I'm hoping I can get a pro shave to compare it to. Any experiences from guys who have been to places like AOS or T&H?

The price for the shave is 29 bucks with a neck massage and a beer...I'll post a review of my experience after I get done.

I've had two straight shaves in barbers in London and, to be honest, the results were disappointing. If you can really shave yourself with a DE it's a very high standard for a barber to live up to.

However, I hope your shave is excellent.

Thats unfortunate. I hope at least my friends get better less irritating shaves than they are used to. They are currently on Mach 3's and canned cream. So if this is a step up they might be brought over to the dark side.

John

I also have had mixed results with a barber shave- In Italy I had a shave that was what I dream about -It lasted 3 days! In the states I have had a couple of good ones but- not really that much better then home brewed.
It can be a nice experience So why not?

You say its only a little better than a home shave...does that mean it was a bbs shave (or close) that wasn't irritating and felt good during it? I don't mind if it doesn't last me three days, I will mind if it doesn't smell as good as a home session and leaves me irritated with stubble. These guys claim they know how to do it right.

It would depend on the barber really, as I said before a DE shaver really sets the bar high against those that use cartridge or even electric razors.As you know your stuff make sure they use a cream/soap you either know or are happy with. The whole hot towels thing is great, you will probably learn a lot about correct prep. The barbers (in my experience) endevour to shave you in one pass so their prep has to be spot on!

Only one way to find out I'm afraid. My experience would not be yours necessarily, even if we went to the same shop. Does the perfect shave even exist? I have seen a lot of cheap products used in some places and gotten a decent shave as well as top of the line products and could have done better myself. You will have to go and see. If I could get out with some friends and get a barber shave and a cold beer- That would be a good "Shave"any day! I hope you have a great time.

Yeah, the experience will be good as far as going out with my friends and having a beer go. I'm more concerned with their shave than with mine. As long as its relaxing and I don't get cut up too bad, I'll be fine. For their sakes, I'd like them to get a great shave to show them they can do better than their mach 3. As with most things, have to wait and see. I'll report back to you guy soon enough.

Maybe an idea for the future would be to have B&B members that are near each other get together and go out for a shave together. If we could get enough people we might be able to lobby some place for a discount. Sort of like the mass buys that occur sometimes. You'd probably need like 10 or 15 people to get them to agree.

jbasl said:
Maybe an idea for the future would be to have B&B members that are near each other get together and go out for a shave together. If we could get enough people we might be able to lobby some place for a discount. Sort of like the mass buys that occur sometimes. You'd probably need like 10 or 15 people to get them to agree.

I like that idea. I can just picture one of the guys getting shaved whilst 14 others surround the barber's chair discussing the technique. I'm sure the barber won't mind one bit! :biggrin:

jbasl said:
So, I'll be skipping my morning shave tomorrow and going to get a shave at state street barbers in boston on Saturday (www.statestreetbarbers.com). For those of you have been to one of these high end shops for a straigh shave, do you find that they do a really good job and give you a bbs shave? I'm bringing a couple of friends who are thinking about taking up wetshaving, I think if they have a good experience, they'll convert. Also, I'm about to start shaving with a straight so I'm hoping I can get a pro shave to compare it to. Any experiences from guys who have been to places like AOS or T&H?

The price for the shave is 29 bucks with a neck massage and a beer...I'll post a review of my experience after I get done.
Its very much dependent on the barber. I've had three shaves at high-end places (AOS & T&H): two were incredible and one was ghastly.

--Mark

I've been kind of surprised. There are two places in my area (that I know of) that offer male grooming services (shaves, haircuts, massages, manicures, etc). Both offer a shave and both say they use a "triple bladed razor" thus I can only assume they use a Mach3 head. I'm surprised that that is their razor of choice and still change $50 for it. I haven't had either of them give me a shave though. At least not yet. I am kind of intruiged to see how well they give a shave.

I think that eveyone should try a Barbershop shave at least once, if for nothing more than nostalgias sake, but I do find that my own shave with a DE razor to be better most of the time.
Cheers, DJ.

I have only experienced this once (and it is what convinced me to convert) but the shave I had at AOS in Las Vegas was a great experience. I made sure to tell the individual that gave me my shave that this was all new to me and I'd appreciate tips on how to get a good wetshave at home as they were giving me the shave in the shop. Worked out really well and I'll hope you have a great experience with your friends.

Jim

Hell, I used to enjoy a barbershop shave once upon a time, but 3 years ago was the last time I had one. A different barber than the one who I would normally go to shaved me, and I found him heavyhanded, and not as skillfull. Needless to say, I'd rather do it myself since I can now shave with a straight razor very well these days.

Jeff

I had a pro shave in Phoenix last spring, and the *experience* was GREAT--while the *shave* was just OK. Actually, less than OK--lots of irritation and not too close.

But again, I loved the relaxing nature of being shaved with a straight razor, and the prep is fantastic--hot towels make a big difference.

And combined with a cold beer it sounds like heaven!:biggrin:

I've had shaves at the AOS in Manhattan and T&H in Chicago; T&H cut the hell out of my chin (i have a fierce beard with very sensitive skin in all fairness), and the best thing about the AOS experience was the mask & 'facial' that's included with the Royal Shave. Both shaves were not particularly close.

I have had my best shaves right here in Cincinnati by Nick Salzano, a master barber owns a shop with his sons in downtown Cincinnati (Nick Salzano & Sons 221 E. Fourth St. Cincinnati, OH 45202 (513) 241-9669). Nick has been cutting hair and giving straight razor cuts here for 50 years, since he moved here from Italy as a teenager. His shop is classic in every sense; from Nick's own aftershave tonic (his Father’s recipe he brought from Italy; it clearly contains witch hazel, but much more as well-it’s an astringent that’s also very soothing) to the working brass autoclave, from which flows countless steaming hot towels which are liberally used on your face and neck (even after just a simple hair cut). Nick uses a straight razor in your neck, around the ears and sideburns with every haircut. Having gone to a ‘stylist’ for my entire adult life, I immediately felt at home at Salzano’s, and have never looked back.

Nick's shaves are also well priced as compared to AOS or T&H's boutiques.

Cheers,

Craig

I've had two barber shaves. One was pretty bad and left me irritated. The second was hands down the best shave I've ever experienced. He finished by "polishing" my face with talc. I walked out of there with a face as smooth as glass and no discomfort. This was just your basic old Italian barber in NY. Excellent. Let us know how it goes.

Jordan

I've always wanted a barber shop shave, but never had the guts to go ahead with it. I dunno why really. I guess the thing preventing me is that usually for about 20 minutes after my shaves, my face is as red as a beetroot. :lol: It need about 15 minutes to cool down. So I don't know if i'd like to walk home from the barbers looking like this---> :blushing:

:biggrin:

Top Bottom