What's new

Barber Shop Shave

The barber who I go to offered to give me a shave and a massage for 5 bucks! Just so he'd have a customer for it again. I told him I'd think it over.

Jeff

$5!!! :117: I say go for it!! The places around here charge $50 just for a shave. Can't hurt for $5. Well, unless he tears your face to shreads with the blade! A massage starts at like $15 for a very localized massage. I'd jump on that offer myself.

crackstar said:
The barber who I go to offered to give me a shave and a massage for 5 bucks! Just so he'd have a customer for it again. I told him I'd think it over.

$5 is way too cheap. There has to be a catch.

Just got back from NY where I had my first barbershop shave at AOS in Manhattan. I have to say that overall I was a bit dissapointed. I found the shave to be very scratchy and while the end result was very close, unfortunately it came with quite a bit of irritation and several ingrown hairs. I feel I get a more comfortable shave on my own.

A couple of things really surprised me. First, they used a hot lather machine rather than their own AOS shave cream and a brush. While the hot lather is nice, I was really surprised that they were not using the products that they are promoting on the other side of the glass wall. Have those of you who've had professional shaves found that a shaving brush is left out of the regimine?

The second thing that really surprised me was the lack of prep work. The hot towel was left on my face for all of 30 seconds and I could tell that my face was not ready for a comfortable shave. Do other shops/barbers put more effort into this? I'm sure that this is part of the reason for the scratchy shave I received.

Overall, I probably will not spend the money on a professional shave again unless I decide to try another shop like Truefitt & Hill next time I'm in Vegas so I can compare the two.

Johnny, there's no catch. That's what he wanted to charge me, and he gives a great, comfortable shave with no burn, no irritation, nothing. I'd just rather do it myself.

Jeff

Roger,

Your experience sounds par for the course, unfortunately. My shave happened in Phoenix and I was similarly disappointed--but perhaps my expectations were too high?

After my pro shave, I started a thread about the things that I could do better myself than I could get by paying for it to be done for me. Things like:

grill a steak to medium rare
shave my face
make chili
etc.

Consider yourself lucky that you *can* shave yourself better than the barber did. How many men that you see every day can say this?

And how many of us have only been to say this for a short time?:redface:

I think its best to find an experienced (old) neighborhood barber who knows what he's doing. You can get a great shave for $10-$15 and feel just as pampered. While it may take a few tries to find one, at least you won't be paying $50 for a lousy shave.

Jordan

Top Bottom