What's new

Barber says he uses only one stone to sharpen

I was thinking of the present day barber who doesn't know what the stone he got from his grandfather.
I think it's an old retired barber. An as a millennial, if it was a young barber, millennials are morons for the most part and it wouldn't surprise me a bit. If I could even remember half the idiotic **** I've seen my generation do. It's the reason I've spent half my life hanging out in retirement homes and I'm extremely greatful I did. i got a chance to know my ancestor from WW2/Great Depression era ancestors that were grown during the period and I'll never be able to express how much their words of wisdom as a small child have steered my life and how greatful I am for it.

I strait razor shave because my great grandfather did and he was the most honest, toughest man I've ever known. He couldn't care less about your feelings if you needed to hear it. Taught me to have 0 tolerance for bs and lazy people.

Reading old publications from the period will give much insight into what they would consider radiantly had and will give you insight into what's considered a one stone hone. There's been discussion all over the internet if our grandfather's had duller razors and I highly doubt it. I find seeing into the mind set of the time helps a lot.

They lived in a world where you got what you got and you make it work or don't come home until you figure out a way to get the job done. So for them a washita that is fast and eats steel but finishes really fine would be a treasure to them for all their tools, including razors, a they are to me. I know old timers that I knew would strop the blood out of a blade to get that precision edge they were shooting for.

I wish I had my great grandfather's strop. The only way I could describe the surface of it is like a beaver tail(which it very well may have been beaver tail and homemade). Looking into historical texts and old barber manuals is extremely valuable advice.

I find it curious how certain information has been lost over time. And it was trivial to use razors before the 50s. When I became interested in SR in mid-2015, the internet helped a lot to find information and products that were previously non-existent for purchase in local businesses (here in Brazil). I believe that people from my grandfather's time things were more practical and simple. I believe that there was not so much access to stones and products. I remember asking my father about what my grandfather uses to sharpen his razor. My dad told me he doesn't remember grandpa using stones. Only leather strop (tensio strop style) and balsa with paste were used. I believe my grandfather had only two razors in his entire life.

I find it curious how certain information has been lost over time. And it was trivial to use razors before the 50s. When I became interested in SR in mid-2015, the internet helped a lot to find information and products that were previously non-existent for purchase in local businesses (here in Brazil). I believe that people from my grandfather's time things were more practical and simple. I believe that there was not so much access to stones and products. I remember asking my father about what my grandfather uses to sharpen his razor. My dad told me he doesn't remember grandpa using stones. Only leather strop (tensio strop style) and balsa with paste were used. I believe my grandfather had only two razors in his entire life.
Yep. Necessity is the father of ingenuity. I think if I had a pasted strop I could get a shaving edge from most mid range stones, given enough time. Same with a good stiff, bridle leather strop but it'd a take much longer without the paste. I think my great grandfather only had a strop and a couple hand cut arkansas stones laying around and I can't say I ever saw so much as a 5 o'clock shadow story of stubble on that man. Always slick and smooth.

The only one stone solution that I have which can do a bevel set to finishing are my two dual sided Ancient Ocean Jasper stones from Gabe at Natural Whetstone Sharpening. I have two because I was so impressed with the first one, I wanted to buy another to see if they were consistent…both perform as advertised!

500A9455-D0CC-4B5D-B9FC-E8CC5D495210.jpeg
7B1E7B5E-1BFF-4212-B34A-6D152F2421C1.jpeg

Lots of people say lots of things, not all of it is 100% accurate.
Using paste after a stone does not equal a 'one stone hone' edge. Not to me. Maybe someone else's ego thinks differently though. If a barber says he uses one stone only, ok - fine. But I don't know how good his shave is so... the statement is sorta meaningless. Does he use a paste after the stone? If yes, then it's not a 'one stone hone' edge.
If I could only have one stone, I'd be bored and have to find a different hobby. That would be like having one razor one soap, etc.. do-able, for sure but boring as hell to me. I'd rather just use Barbasol and a Mach 3. Seriously.

Top Bottom