What's new

Barber Hone Lapping Newbie Question

Gentlemen,

I received my barber hones from Tiily (redtrader99) just the other day and since I have time this weekend would like to practice my honing.
Couple of questions:
  1. Do you recommend I lap them on each other or with sandpaper and a glass surface? I would prefer sandpaper just for more surface area.
  • Is there a starting recommended grit size for the sandpaper? I understand using progression as well as using different grit sizes of sandpaper for the 3 different hones .

Thank you for any assistance guys!

Regards!

Lawrence

Gentlemen,

I received my barber hones from Tiily (redtrader99) just the other day and since I have time this weekend would like to practice my honing.
Couple of questions:
  1. Do you recommend I lap them on each other or with sandpaper and a glass surface? I would prefer sandpaper just for more surface area.
  • Is there a starting recommended grit size for the sandpaper? I understand using progression as well as using different grit sizes of sandpaper for the 3 different hones .

Thank you for any assistance guys!

Regards!

Lawrence

Lawrence,
Depends on the barber hone. If it is ceramic-like, your papers might not cut 'em and/or they might not need to be lapped. It really depends on the material, make, quality, etc of your barber hones. It shouldn't hurt to give it a try though!

Hope this helps! :thumbup1:

Well - at least draw a pencil grid and lap a figure 8 on say 400 or 600 paper. If the grid disappears within 1-2-3 figure 8s - then you don't need to lap them. Otherwise - you do.

Specifically for the hones from Tilly - I have always used a marble plate and sandpaper progression. like 400, 600, 800, 1000 - if I remember correctly. Because this is what I had.

On the other hand - if you happen to have a 600-1000 flat diamond hone that you use for knives (such as DMT) - this would be much better. There is also a guy on SRP - Josh Earl - he offers service lapping barber hones (they are generally quite hard, and he has invested in a rough DMT so it doesn't take him hours for each job). You can try to contact him if you are interested in saving yourself some effort. The cost will probably be the same if you have to buy the papers... But there is always satisfaction in doing something yourself :biggrin:

Good luck - whatever you decide
Ivo

Thanks guys!:thumbup1:
I do like to work with my hands and I will try it myself with the grid lines and sandpaper.
Kind of excited too. New toys ya see:biggrin:

On the fine hones, I go higher than 1,000 to give them a smoother finish

Which hones did you get?

Thanks Chris,

I purchased the Beginner package which consists of:

1 Cushion Strop Hone
1 Gem
1 Frictionite

Lawrence

None of these are too fine. (with the possible exception of the frictionite - what # is it?)

Good luck
Ivo

None of these are too fine. (with the possible exception of the frictionite - what # is it?)

Good luck
Ivo

It's a #24.

I went to the auto store and picked up a variety pack of wet/dry sandpaper. I penciled in a grid on the stones and did my figure 8's. The Cushion Strop Hone seemed to be the ony one that was not true.
So I took the 800 grit then the 1000 grit to town on the hone and voila! Completely flat hone..

Thanks again guys!

Lawrence

Top Bottom