What's new

Barber Foil Shaving

Hello!

I’m a big fan of DE shaving, but I want an electric foil shaver for convenience. I already have a norelco oneblade and it does great…but for whatever reason I want to add a foil to my collection!

I’ve been looking at foil shavers typically used by barbers for head shaves e.g. andis, babyliss, wahl.

Do any of you use barber foils to shave your face? If so, which do you use, and do they do a good job? Concerned about irritation, but I think that varies person to person.

Don't. When they say "for professional use only" they mean it. If you try to use it like a normal shaver, you'll go through foils faster than underwear, and you'll likely (at least once) have a foil rip in use, and give you a proper gash on your face. Go with one designed for you to shave your own face with.

The "professional" barber foil shavers are "professional" only in the marketing sense. Most of them are based on the vintage 1950s Remington Roll-A-Matic or Model 60 design, and many have the singular advantage as "professional" razors of being corded (not requiring recharging, but also not usable wet). They are made essentially for tidying up the hairline or scalp after a barber cut, and not really intended or indeed very satisfactory for exclusively shaving your face - almost any modern rechargeable is superior. That said, they're generally pretty sturdy, many of them are inexpensive, and will shave, but not generally very close and not very comfortably (although several thousand men can likely attest to the fact that the Roll-A-Matic was a decent shaver in its day compared to the competition, and some folks actually like the Remington design even today). Just supplanted in the last half-century plus by better designed and better performing electrics.

Last edited:
The "professional" barber foil shavers are "professional" only in the marketing sense. Most of them are based on the vintage 1950s Remington Roll-A-Matic or Model 60 design, and many have the singular advantage as "professional" razors of being corded (not requiring recharging, but also not usable wet). They are made essentially for tidying up the hairline or scalp after a barber cut, and not really intended or indeed very satisfactory for exclusively shaving your face - almost any modern rechargeable is superior. That said, they're generally pretty sturdy, many of them are inexpensive, and will shave, but not generally very close and not very comfortably (although several thousand men can likely attest to the fact that the Roll-A-Matic was a decent shaver in its day compared to the competition, and some folks actually like the Remington design even today). Just supplanted in the last half-century plus by better designed and better performing electrics.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but have you actually owned one of the razors he's referring to? The actual modern one?

They are different from a Roll-A-Matic. These are finishing shavers - and their foils are significantly thinner than normal electric razor foils meant for face shaving. If you apply any pressure, you'll munch through the foil in weeks. If you use a normal electric razor, then these finishing razors afterwards, you'd be fine, but with how good modern electric razors are - it's somewhat futile, unless you have very sensitive skin - and can't use a normal Norelco S9000 Prestige or what have you with the appropriate amount of pressure, you could use a much more gentle razor, like a Braun Series 7 or 9, then finish up with finishing shaver (ZERO PRESSURE) like the Wahl, and get the closest possible electric shave (which will rival the best DE shaves) with zero irritation.

I am currently working on an article on this topic, and have an assortment of high end electric razors - and have been shaving with them exclusively for months, solely for the article - so I say the aforementioned with some reasonable and timely first hand experience.

Hope this helps.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but have you actually owned one of the razors he's referring to? The actual modern one?

They are different from a Roll-A-Matic. These are finishing shavers - and their foils are significantly thinner than normal electric razor foils meant for face shaving. If you apply any pressure, you'll munch through the foil in weeks. If you use a normal electric razor, then these finishing razors afterwards, you'd be fine, but with how good modern electric razors are - it's somewhat futile, unless you have very sensitive skin - and can't use a normal Norelco S9000 Prestige or what have you with the appropriate amount of pressure, you could use a much more gentle razor, like a Braun Series 7 or 9, then finish up with finishing shaver (ZERO PRESSURE) like the Wahl, and get the closest possible electric shave (which will rival the best DE shaves) with zero irritation.

I am currently working on an article on this topic, and have an assortment of high end electric razors - and have been shaving with them exclusively for months, solely for the article - so I say the aforementioned with some reasonable and timely first hand experience.

Hope this helps.
We are in violent agreement. :001_smile And yes, I've used a couple of Andis (and Remington, and Wahl) razors. My point is the same as yours - the "barber" razors are not really meant as daily face shavers, for a variety of reasons. And I do own (and have historically owned, including the original vaunted Model 60 - designed with twin linear reciprocating blades/foils, no central flat trimmer, no pivoting head, just like most "barber" razors) a number of electric razors over the last 60+ years, a few. And generally use one daily, exclusively or to finish up a DE shave. Representative, but not all that I currently own or have ever used :001_tongu:

20220112_113141.jpg

20220112_112713.jpg

20220112_115605.jpg

Hope this helps....

Last edited:
We are in violent agreement. :001_smile And yes, I've used a couple of Andis (and Remington, and Wahl) razors. My point is the same as yours - the "barber" razors are not really meant as daily face shavers, for a variety of reasons. And I do own (and have historically owned, including the original vaunted Model 60 - designed with twin linear reciprocating blades/foils, no central flat trimmer, no pivoting head, just like most "barber" razors) a number of electric razors over the last 60+ years, a few. And generally use one daily, exclusively or to finish up a DE shave. Representative, but not all that I currently own or have ever used :001_tongu:

Hope this helps....

The "Big D Energy" from that electric razor flex, quite literally took my breath away. I am speechless. Mad props on that prodigious arsenal.

The "Big D Energy" from that electric razor flex, quite literally took my breath away. I am speechless. Mad props on that prodigious arsenal.
Some people collect gum wrappers, some people....:p. Started shaving with my Dad's Remington (the Roll-A-Matic), advanced to his Fat Boy gifted to me, and went on and off from electrics to SE to DE over the years, Now honestly my morning shave is generally with a DE, followed by a quick electric touch-up, although an electric is always my go-to traveling, and about once a week I break out an electric for a quick weekend trim (and it keeps the batteries flush). Coming from the blade world I've learned to appreciate the advantages of a good brush and lather, so the majority of my electric shaving is wet and I use the same software as with my DEs, and find I get the most comfortable and closest shaves - for me - that are almost comparable to a DE shave. Almost. Blade shaving hasn't changed that much in the last few centuries, but I'm continually amazed at the advances in electrics in just the last couple of decades. Two or three of the Philips models connect to their app via Bluetooth, and actually provide a personal coach for your shave, track your progress and alert you if you apply too much or too little pressure. How cool is that? 😃 Not perfect, and subject to all the tech glitches of Bluetooth, but the Wright brothers didn't start with a 747. Haven't really found the time or the inclination to try a straight, but it's a big shaving Universe and you never know...maybe life is like a box of chocolates....😁

I'm curious, the Panasonic foils above look pretty much identical to my Arc 4(might be a 5) that sits in the charger/clean at home, even the foils, which are super thin. Is there a difference in the 'barber' version, verses the consumer edition? - A couple of the heads look identical, foil(s) and all.

At least on the consumer, or ones I purchased, I found the Panasonics to be the closest shaving for me, especially if you use them with a light coat of Gel/Lather, soap, or electric pre-shaves. Mine barely holds a charge any longer, so I'll just use it for touch-ups after a shave, if I find some stubble around the mouth, or a spot I missed shaving with the DE/SE.

The Panasonics above are conventional consumer Arc 5 razors (with the exception of the compact travel razor and the Arc 6 on the lower right). I'm not aware that Panasonic makes a "barber" razor, although they do make several professional quality hair clippers. Panasonics (particularly the Arc 5) are consistently rated the closest shaving electrics, and that's been my experience as well. They have the thinnest foils among consumer razors, and the fastest linear speed (14,000 cpm), so that likely contributes.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have the Panasonic Arc4 shaver, and I can confirm that it does give me a nice shave, nicer with use of gel. I can also confirm that it has a speedy but loud motor. And I can also confirm that battery life is quite short with these. And I'm pretty sure they have a parasitic drain when not in use.

I did not buy the Arc 5, cause I felt it would be diminishing returns. But I was not aware they had an Arc6. I'll have to go check that out.

I believe the Arc 6 is just now available in the US as a US version (Lamdash 6 in Japan). It has a marginally larger head (I think about 4mm wider), and a completely different blade design with the blades integrated into the cassette a la Braun. ShaverCheck has a good review. I think it's the best Arc yet, but pricey and it does take practice accomodating the head. The Arc 5 is a better bargain and has the advantage of separate foils/cutters for easier cleaning on the road, and comes close to the 6, so you pay a lot for incremental improvements.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Yep, I find Panasonic shavers to be expensive for sure, just one of the reasons why I did not get the Arc 5. I did a search on Amazon and couldn't find it, I'll have to search elsewhere for the Arc 6. Thank you for the information. I do think they make nice shavers, just wish they'd lower the price a bit lol.

My Arc 4 allows me to replace the blades and foil cartridge, and when I purchased my Arc 4, I already bought a replacement set to have on hand. Hopefully your shaver is working out great for you. 🙂

Up until January of this year this Norelco Spectra 8895XL had been my daily driver since 2004. 135 minutes of run time per charge and so only requires charging six (6) times per year. Now that I am back into wet shaving it only sees every other day use. Hard to believe it still holds this much charge on the original 18 year old batteries. The wet shaving experience of course is a much closer and more satisfying shave and more enjoyable albeit 10 times as time consuming as the electric.

1647002377912.png

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Up until January of this year this Norelco Spectra 8895XL had been my daily driver since 2004. 135 minutes of run time per charge and so only requires charging six (6) times per year. Now that I am back into wet shaving it only sees every other day use. Hard to believe it still holds this much charge on the original 18 year old batteries. The wet shaving experience of course is a much closer and more satisfying shave and more enjoyable albeit 10 times as time consuming as the electric.

WOW, the battery in your unit is hardcore, I'd estimate my Arc 4 to have a 40 minute runtime MAX.

I used to use Norelco 2 bladed, and then 3 bladed rotary shavers. They worked and all, but they wouldn't give me a close shave, they simply can't by their inherent design. Speaking of pricing, Norelco models can easily shoot up into the 300 dollar range super quickly, in their upper tier models. Anyways, reason I switched to the Panasonic Arc 4, is because I wanted a foil shaver that could give me a close shave, its a nice unit as well.

proxy.php

WOW, the battery in your unit is hardcore, I'd estimate my Arc 4 to have a 40 minute runtime MAX.

I used to use Norelco 2 bladed, and then 3 bladed rotary shavers. They worked and all, but they wouldn't give me a close shave, they simply can't by their inherent design. Speaking of pricing, Norelco models can easily shoot up into the 300 dollar range super quickly, in their upper tier models. Anyways, reason I switched to the Panasonic Arc 4, is because I wanted a foil shaver that could give me a close shave, its a nice unit as well.

proxy.php
As far as I know the batteries in the currently available Norelco units don't have near this run time. Mine has not really degraded at all in the last 18 years. Even my 8 year old Tesla S loses 3 miles of range each year. Must be bigger mAh capacity batteries in this older shaver.

Top Bottom