What's new

Barber end strops: Yea or Nay?

Barber end strops: Yea or Nay?

• Total voters
Options are good. I have some arthritis in my hands and have a much easier time maintaining proper tension on the strop with a handle. I love the padded leather handles used by Tony Miller on his Heirloom strops.

I can use a strop with a D-ring, but would find it quite difficult maintaining a proper grip on a strop with a plain end. In my younger days, that might have been a suitable option, but no longer.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Great idea. I wonder why we never see any of these for sale. It seems like the perfect set up.

The reversable end strop idea works great and my earliest ones were like that but it makes it hard to add your makers mark or logo as that it directional and once flipped end for end will look awkward. Also not very feasible for two component strops unless both components are tied together at both ends which creates other issues. May be why we don't see it more.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The reversable end strop idea works great and my earliest ones were like that but it makes it hard to add your makers mark or logo as that it directional and once flipped end for end will look awkward. Also not very feasible for two component strops unless both components are tied together at both ends which creates other issues. May be why we don't see it more.

Good points. I don't use a secondary component and if I did it would be separate. I haven't put a logo on any of mine yet, but if/when I do I will just stamp both bolster pieces so that the up end is always right side up. So two D rings is not for everybody, but to me it is the ideal configuration. Secondaries are popular and to maximize sales you got to go along with the fashion. Strops are not a business for me so much as a hobby so I don't really care if they are in a popular style or are consistent with market demands. But maybe if you had one bare bones model, just leather and D rings, it would be worth your time? I don't know. I know when I have tried to sell mine, that they sold. I do have some fire hose, both used from ships and new. I have thought about making some solo firehose strops. I guess since I wouldn't use one, I haven't given it any priority.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Great idea. I wonder why we never see any of these for sale. It seems like the perfect set up.

Well, many users insist on a secondary component. Those who don't care one way or the other, feel like they are still getting a bigger bang for the bock when the secondary is present. And adding a secondary does not add greatly to the cost of materials. So it makes good marketing sense to concentrate on two component strops. A user who doesn't LIKE a secondary can ignore it or remove it. So the majority of commercial strops have a secondary and so cannot realistically be reversible.

Most homemade strops are leather only. Many will have D rings. Some will have a top and bottom, with a swivel (no benefit, AFAIC) at the top end and a D ring at the bottom end. Since so many commercial strops use a swivel, many first time DIYers also use a swivel, figuring it should be there or else the popular ones on the market would not have one. Sometimes the hardware is recycled from another strop that has seen better days.

I think everyone ought to make at least one strop. My primary strop is one I made some years ago, and I use it more than my Kanayama. It is just kinda cool to use gear you made yourself, and it helps you to appreciate the craftsmanship and material quality in the fine commercial offerings out there.

My first strop is still going strong eight months in with no nicks or cuts. Unfortunately this has left me with little excuse to buy a replacement but I thought it would be good to get a spare. You know. Just in case...

My original TM 3” Horsehide has D pulls which work great but I thought it might be time to try something different. I am eyeing up a Kanayama or Westholme and thought a barber end might be worth a go. Are these easy to use? Any benefits in terms of feedback? To those that have tried a few; what is your favorite strop end?

I prefer a barber's end cut to hardware any day. I even have a strop with a sewn handle that I ignore in stropping with it. If your strop D-ring is attached with Chicago screws, you can always undo them and remove the D-ring and strop with it as barber's end cut to see it works for you. The only thing is that 3" is too wide for my hand in holding. 2-1/2" is much better.

The only thing is that 3" is too wide for my hand in holding. 2-1/2" is much better.
I think this is the point. I’d imagine that barber ends work better on narrower strops. I tried holding my 3” strop without using the handle and it was pretty uncomfortable. I imagine that a thinner strop would fit better in the hand. This might be why the older strops were traditionally narrower.

Last edited:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The popularity of a second cloth component seems to depend on just what it is. Cotton does okay and seems to be expected by most. Genuine linen (not just mystery cloth called linen) seems to outperfom other cloths and many see a true advanatge to it. Never cared for nylon or polyester myself but some seem to like it. Tried hard rolled felt as well and saw no advantage used as a plain piece of cloth. maybe pasted they do better.

I am always willing to do leather only for anyone that asks, or plain straight cut "Barber's" ends but as I mentioned earlier the demand has not been great. Had a few guys request 3" straight cut ends but I try to discourage that as I just don't feel they will hold as flat as they should. Might do a few leather only, double ended "Plains" which would be great for first timers as they will be the most likely to nick their strop and need to flip it end for end.

My ideal is still a 2 1/2" x 24" veg tanned horsehide with real flax linen and small leather tabs on the bottom just enough to stiffen the straight cut ends.

Genuine linen (not just mystery cloth called linen) seems to outperfom other cloths and many see a true advanatge to it.
I’ve always wondered what the purpose of the linen was. The leather is clearly for stropping and refining / realigning the edge. What does the linen do? Does it act as a mild abrasive for bringing back a failing edge or is it more for cleaning the blade before going to the leather?

I’ve always wondered what the purpose of the linen was. The leather is clearly for stropping and refining / realigning the edge. What does the linen do? Does it act as a mild abrasive for bringing back a failing edge or is it more for cleaning the blade before going to the leather?

True linen has abrasive qualities and will bring an edge back that leather alone cannot.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Many believe it is beneficial. Myself, I have never seen a secondary component do anything that the leather alone cannot do. And IMHO a secondary can bash and batter a very fine edge. An ordinary 12k edge is not as vulnerable. YMMV. The thing is, lots of guys want or expect a secondary. So strop makers mostly include a secondary. If it is in the way, you can always remove it.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve only ever used a strop with a D ring, so I can’t compare. I‘d be curious to try other options, like much of my shaving interests. D ring works great for now though.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
However, I prefer a simple D ring secured with a bolster piece and three Chicago screws on each end. This allows you to hang it either end up. Wear is distributed. And if you slice up one edge of the strop, just hang it the other way up and the nick is then on the left hand edge.

Sort of like this.

IMG_4867.JPG

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Yes, exactly. I just don't bother with the swivel, but it doesn't hurt anything for it to be there. That one can quickly be removed and switched to the other end, right?

Yes, easily switched or removed completely if not wanted. I just think a smaller loop may stay on some hooks better than the large radius D-ring until a beginner gets more control over their stropping motion.

As you mentioned earlier not everyone wants or needs a cloth component and the more simple the design the less expensive it can be which can maybe give more newcomers a start in straight razors without breaking the bank.

Nice to have options for every skill level and every budget. It was a great suggestion, thank you.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yes, easily switched or removed completely if not wanted. I just think a smaller loop may stay on some hooks better than the large radius D-ring until a beginner gets more control over their stropping motion.

As you mentioned earlier not everyone wants or needs a cloth component and the more simple the design the less expensive it can be which can maybe give more newcomers a start in straight razors without breaking the bank.

Nice to have options for every skill level and every budget. It was a great suggestion, thank you.

Not only is that my personal favorite configuration, but it probably is the ideal beginner strop, and one reason is cost. You can turn those out in cowhide for a pretty affordable price. And if it does get trashed, pretty simple to just replace the body with new leather. First strop I ever "made" was exactly that. I bought a strip of veg tanned cowhide from either McMaster-Carr or Grainger, don't remember which, cut it to length and poked holes in it for the chicago screws and walah, new strop. Down the rabbit hole from there. Is that a model you are currently selling?

I've read everyone's comments with interest. Just picked up a great condition Certifyd 928 Llama Brand with barber ends so I'll soon get a chance to form my own opinion (and finally cast a vote).

PXL_20201110_042114948-01.jpeg

Attachments

• PXL_20201110_042122855-01.jpeg
    PXL_20201110_042122855-01.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20201110_042129826-02.jpeg
    PXL_20201110_042129826-02.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Legion

Staff member
My personal strop is like that, with leather and linen connected at both ends. You are right, it is tricky to make as you need to balance the stretch of both materials so they match while being used. You can tune that if you are making just one for yourself, but it would definitely cause extra difficulty if trying to make them commercially.

But it means you only need to have one D ring or handle on the bottom, and everything is nice and tidy.

Top Bottom