What's new

BARBER DISINFECTANT CHART

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

The most interesting inform to me is that they suggest Barbicide/Marvicide/etc. for things like combs, etc. rather than for razor handles. It makes me wonder about using these products to disinfect razors.

Hmm interesting...wonder if bleach even diluted will mess with certain finishes on razors.
I spent a long time, when I was young, as a foreman in a meat packing plant, What I know about bleach and metals is only from that experience. Our knives all had plastic handles, like nylon, and were made of good quality high carbon stainless steel, shiny and very durable. We were supposed to place them in a bath of 1/50 over the counter bleach/water, made new every day, a the end of shift.. I was very particular about my knives being sharp as a razor. With the inspector's ok, I would not do that. Mine were scrubbed in soap, and water, then scrubbed in the bleach/water mix,rinsed, and dried, spotless, and clean. The guys (most everyone)who cleaned them, and put them in the mild bleach/water over night came in the next day to somewhat dull knives, every day. Even at 1/50, the bleach would destroy the fine edge, in 12 hours. The knives looked fine, but, the fine edge was gone, eaten away, and it wasn't from the water.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting...wonder if bleach even diluted will mess with certain finishes on razors.

Yes, it will, particularly with Aluminum, but many other metals and platings as well. Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is a good disinfectant, but handling, mixing and using in this context are problematic for household use. And unnecessary for personal shaving equipment - a straight razor handle in this context refers to commercial use, on multiple clients. Almost any personal shaving equipment would be considered non-critical (fixed straight razor blades being the exception, and then only from unknown sources, in which case high level disinfection or sterilization is indicated). DE blades or other sharps in this reference are considered disposable and therefore not reusable, but personal reuse is perfectly fine even without additional sanitization. Any quaternary ammonium solution like Barbicide or Marvicide, or even an intermediate level product like 70% isopropyl alcohol is more than adequate as a non-critical instrument sanitizing solution.

The most interesting inform to me is that they suggest Barbicide/Marvicide/etc. for things like combs, etc. rather than for razor handles. It makes me wonder about using these products to disinfect razors.
Using those on hard metal razors is really overkill,and a waste of product. A 2 minute soak in Scrubbing Bubbles will float away the scum and disinfect any razor without harming the finish ...You can gently use a soft toothbrush to aid the scrubbing bubbles as well, just don't put pressure on the butterfly wings...

Most bleach containers now are less than a gallon, but at 7% potency you use less...

Attachments

• bleach.JPG
    bleach.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 8

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm not really concerned about disinfecting my personal shaving gear and I'm still kissing girls.

Maybe I should get my girlfriends to gargle bleach for 10 minutes before we kiss.

Top Bottom