What's new

Barbasol vs higher end stuff?

I just started DE shaving, got myself the VDH razor at Target, decided to hold back on mug, brush and soap, and continue to use Barbasol. It's under two dollars, it seems to work just fine, but I've never used anything besides the cheapest canned shaving creams. I see people talking about creams that are 7 - 30 bucks a tube and I wonder what do you get for that extra cost? Better shave? Better scent? More moisturizing? Better lubrication?

One thing I will say about the Barbasol is that it's pretty thick, this can make it hard to navigate sometimes, or see areas that I should avoid. I see videos of people doing brush and soap shaves and their lathers are really thin, seems like you'd be able to identify the contours and shape of the face better.

It is the Difference between a glass of 100 year old premium scotch vs a glass of 2014 Walmart brand whisky. Night and day, especially with a brush.

Also a puck of Van Der Hagen which is like $4 will last a LOT longer than a can of barbasol. I remember reading that someone used it every day and it lasted around 21+ weeks. A $1 puck of Williams lasts close to 16. Seriously!

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of some of the more expensive creams: D. R. Harris Rose, Truefitt + Hill Rose and Almond, in tubes. Simpson Vanilla and Rose, TFS Bergamotto Neroli, in tubs.

I bowl-lather exclusively. Two careful passes and a touch-up. Silvertip badger brush.

These creams have:

--great lathering in little time. I can apply as thickly as I want. Regular brush-on for the first pass. Much thicker for the second pass, where I finger-tip places needing attention. Then a touch-up, neck, sometimes chin and jaw-line.

--really wonderful scents.

--a sort of economy-value; a little goes a long way.

Cella (which some treat as a soap) is about $10.00. Fabulous performer. Also very pleased with the huge tubs of Cyril R. Salter, at a really good price; I've only used the Wild Rose and the Almond, but they are both excellent, great performers, with authentic scents.

I have used canned Barbasol. I found that it dried my skin more than the hot-shot creams. It is thick, but it's a sort of fake thickness, just foam with no content, if that makes sense.

Not to mention how soft your skin gets from the "massage" of rubbing the lather in. Your skin and beard absorb and moisturize with soaps and creams. Barbasol and other canned GOOP, just sit on the surface of your skin without doing anything.

Also about your money thing a $15 soap puck of triple milled soap last 400+ shaves depending on how much you use. Before switching to classic wetshaving a can of barbasol lasted me maybe 25-35 shaves. So actually you save money. (if you buy one or two soaps, I have 12 in my roatation.)

Well, you guys have got me convinced, I might have to pull the trigger on a brush + soap / cream.

I know that target sells VDH soap along with the razors, around here I also have walgreens, CVS... Any honorable mentions that I might be able to find locally?

Yeah my top local choice would be Bath and Body works. Ask for CO Biggelow shaving cream. I think ours $5 bucks. Otherwise VDH. Their brush is good or get an omega boar for like $14 lasts for years and good quality. Welcome to B&B. You're just getting started :D

I've heard that the Proraso or CE Bigelow in a can from Bath and Body are pretty good and apparently last a long time.

Alright sir, you've gotten some great suggestions from the other folks.

When I was starting out, I just used my Barbasol on a brush because I didn't have my lather quite dialed in enough for a slick lather. You don't have to really lay it on thick to get a slick layer - just squirt a little bit and rub it in. If it doesn't feel thick enough, you can add a little until you get it to where you need it.

I'd recommend checking out Bath and Body Works when they're having a sale so you can get it for a much better price. I believe the large tubes are $10 a piece but they often have a Buy 3 Get 3 Free deal on their men's line which brings it down to $5 a piece. In those 6 tubes, you'll probably have enough shaving cream for a year or so. If I remember correctly, a can of Barbasol would last me 2-3 months or maybe. Still a little more expensive to get the good stuff, but it's not that big a difference if you're enjoying the shaves.

Good luck, sir, and be safe!

I'm a long time canned Barbasol user. It's excellent stuff, lubricates well, and there's no magic to be found by switching away from it. Face lathering using a good soap and brush does provide a degree of extra moisture and lubrication, but it's not earth shatteringly better, IMO. I presently use Catie's Bubbles, Truefitt & Hill and Barbasol. Great, comfortable shaves are achieved from all of those products.

You could happily continue to use Barbasol as I do when I'm short for time.

The key to Barbasol is using less than you think you need. Don't pile it on so thick. Put just enough on your face so you can't see your skin or beard. Experiment with shaving soaps if you're so inclined, but be cautious of negativity about canned Barbasol.

Last edited:
Well, you guys have got me convinced, I might have to pull the trigger on a brush + soap / cream.

I know that target sells VDH soap along with the razors, around here I also have walgreens, CVS... Any honorable mentions that I might be able to find locally?

It depends on the area. I get certain items at Rite Aid, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Target, Kroger, and various dollar stores. Since you mentioned Barbasol by name, they make a pretty decent aftershave splash (2 types) that I only see here at Dollar General. Inexpensive too, like $2/bottle or so.

I know that you rinse the bowl and brush after a shave, but what about the soap itself? When loading the brush it seems that it would create some lather on top of the puck, do you rinse that off or just let it dry?

Just turn it upside down to make sure the excess water falls out. Just let the lather and soap dry, all it does it turn back into soap.

Barbasol was my "goo" of choice during my 8-year hiatus from DE shaving. I didn't think it was as horrible as some people say. I do believe mid-to-higher end creams are better in my opinion for a few reasons:

1) When you use a brush to lather up a cream or soap, it takes a little more time, which allows the product and moisture to soften up your beard a little more.

2) Most higher end creams/soaps tend to be a tad "slicker" than barbasol.

3) The brushing action also tends to raise those whiskers up prior to the shave.

4) Higher end creams/soaps often smell a lot better than (original) Barbasol, which has somewhat of a neutral scent.

The moral of the story is... I've lived with Barbasol, but prefer a good shaving cream.

Just did first shave with brush and VDH soap. Had way too much water on my face and in brush the first time, and the lather was comparable to what you get when you wash your hands at the sink. Second pass I loaded the brush more and didn't use as much water and got a much better lather.

Will take some getting used to, but it was a good experience. I usually shave once or twice a week, so I imagine the puck will last a pretty long time.

I just started DE shaving, got myself the VDH razor at Target, decided to hold back on mug, brush and soap, and continue to use Barbasol. It's under two dollars, it seems to work just fine, but I've never used anything besides the cheapest canned shaving creams. I see people talking about creams that are 7 - 30 bucks a tube and I wonder what do you get for that extra cost? Better shave? Better scent? More moisturizing? Better lubrication?

One thing I will say about the Barbasol is that it's pretty thick, this can make it hard to navigate sometimes, or see areas that I should avoid. I see videos of people doing brush and soap shaves and their lathers are really thin, seems like you'd be able to identify the contours and shape of the face better.
have you ever tried Nivea sensitive shave gel/cream? that one imo, is cheap in price, but not in performance. ive been trying to find higher end creams and soaps that smell exactly like it, but i cant. i love Nivea, the smell, the softness and smoothness of it, its actually a really good product. i would say definitely try out some higher end creams as well, but if your out at the store, please pick up the Nivea.
edit: and if you do try Nivea, the gel goes on real thick at first, so i run my fingers under hot water and then thin it out on my face till i get the right consistency.

Last edited:
I still have a can of Barbasol and one of Proraso Green that I use whenever I'm in a hurry or just feel like getting the job of shaving done without much clean up. I get that it's not super high end and luxurious and all that, but sometimes I like a quick shot of some well whiskey.

Top Bottom