What's new

Barbasol razor info thread. Any info and pics posted here.

I thought I would add mine to the mix - here's my $15 Floating Head score this past Sunday, and wow, what a shave:
$100_1570.jpg

And this week's Big Fellow score - Before:
$100_1560.jpg

And with a little TLC, here's 76 gram S/N M922709 After:
$100_1569.jpg

The Big Fellow looks fantastic. What process/products did you use?
Thank you, Sir! What I used was Goddard's Silver Polish Foam, but instead of using their foam pad applicator supplied with the product, I used an electric toothbrush because it did a much more thorough job with the knurling. I tried the baking soda/boiling water/aluminum foil trick 4-5 times, but it wasn't near as efficient at removing the tarnish, and the result was a very dull looking surface. This was my first time using Goddard's and I would say I'm a believer....

Edited to add: It only cost me $6 at a local antique shop that had it for sale, rather than the $12 shown in the Amazon link.

Last edited:
Are there any new Floating Head clones being made? The reason I ask is there is an active listing on ebay (I will not link, post a pic, or include any information that could identify the seller or listing - I hope that stays inside the TOU) that states New condition, several sold and more available, and though the listing pictures are lacking, two angles look to me like the safety bars are identical to my FH, including the indentation.

Just wondering.

Edited to add: I should add that the seller makes no claims about anything Barbasol or Floating Head, and it didn't come up in a search for same, the pics just caught my eye.

Last edited:
Mission accomplished

$001.jpg

A Floating head, a Nonfloating head and both open comb models of the Barbasol razors.

Attachments

• $002.jpg
    $002.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Are there any new Floating Head clones being made? The reason I ask is there is an active listing on ebay (I will not link, post a pic, or include any information that could identify the seller or listing - I hope that stays inside the TOU) that states New condition, several sold and more available, and though the listing pictures are lacking, two angles look to me like the safety bars are identical to my FH, including the indentation.

Just wondering.

Edited to add: I should add that the seller makes no claims about anything Barbasol or Floating Head, and it didn't come up in a search for same, the pics just caught my eye.

I'm sure the patent expired and anyone can reproduce them.

I've never seen any advertisements or shippers for Barbasol razors. Browsing an auction site I saw that this was part of a razor lot. It was rare enough to see that I thought I'd post the image here.

$Picture 1.jpg

Been meaning to do this for a while now but have had alot going on for a while now. Finally got some pictures taken tho and am ready to give this thread a bump. Some of you have already seen this razor, mabey on the Ebay interesting items thread or mabey you were bidding against me for it. For those of you who have not seen it I present to you....... My Precious.

View attachment 511440

I'm curious if this might be a Barbasol prototype? For all the world that looks like an Old Type base plate. It has "Made in USA" in the same typeface and location as the old type. Further, it looks as if the original Gillette logo was ground off, leaving only a tiny corner of the diamond.

$barbasolproto.jpg

The handle looks like an earlier, rougher version of the production version. Is it possible the designers cobbled this together with a Gillette OC head during pre-production?

Here's 2 pictures of the original box of my Barbasol Non-Floating head with Bakelite handle.

Someone wrote 1934 on the box.

proxy.php

On the side of the box, a 1½ cent stamp with the face of President Harding.

proxy.php

I'm curious if this might be a Barbasol prototype? For all the world that looks like an Old Type base plate. It has "Made in USA" in the same typeface and location as the old type. Further, it looks as if the original Gillette logo was ground off, leaving only a tiny corner of the diamond.

View attachment 596098

The handle looks like an earlier, rougher version of the production version. Is it possible the designers cobbled this together with a Gillette OC head during pre-production?
I don't think so,it would've been too risky.

Here's 2 pictures of the original box of my Barbasol Non-Floating head with Bakelite handle.

Someone wrote 1934 on the box.

proxy.php

On the side of the box, a 1½ cent stamp with the face of President Harding.

proxy.php
That is a rare piece, thanks for sharing it.

Hi guys,
I recently did a thread about my Broken Barbasol with bakelite handle, the screw was broken and I ended up doing an un-orthodox yet fonctional fix.

Before
proxy.php

After
proxy.php

proxy.php

This was a temporary solution until I find a replacement cap. As you know, Barbasol's parts are quite hard to come by as they were only produced for a few years, back in the 30's. I thought about purchasing a Cooper but have been told that they do not fit, same goes for the Klenzo : (

A few weeks ago, I was scrolling the net, when I found the oddball that you can see below. I suspected it to be manufactured by Conrad, the same Conrad who manufactured the Barbasols, you see where I am getting at ? I took a wild guess and it paid off : )

Note: There is a note written inside the box ''Reno Sept 12, 1933''

proxy.php

Bot caps are almost identical and the most important point is that it screw perfectly on the Barbasol's handle. I'd say that the inner curve is the same, the width is exactly the same, the bullet tips are more round than pointy and the cap itself is slightly less thick at its center (We are talking about half a MM). I shaved with it after a good cleaning and sanitizing, it is very Barbasolesque by that I mean aggressive.

proxy.php

I thought I needed to share this.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I recently did a thread about my Broken Barbasol with bakelite handle.

A few weeks ago, I was scrolling the net, when I found the oddball that you can see below. I suspected it to be manufactured by Conrad, the same Conrad who manufactured the Barbasols, you see where I am getting at ? I took a wild guess and it paid off : )

Note: There is a note written inside the box ''Reno Sept 12, 1933''

proxy.php

Bot caps are almost identical and the most important point is that it screw perfectly on the Barbasol's handle. I'd say that the inner curve is the same, the width is exactly the same, the bullet tips are more round than pointy and the cap itself is slightly less thick at its center (We are talking about half a MM). I shaved with it after a good cleaning and sanitizing, it is very Barbasolesque by that I mean aggressive.

Excellent find! Now you can use both razors with the same cap.
I knew that Barbasol razors were made by someone else, but I did not know it was Conrad. Does anyone know if Conrad made razors under other brand names?

Hallmark razor brand was similar too. Hall Mark was registered as a trademark 9 Apr 1934 by Prybrands, Inc., Long Island City, N.Y.... first use on 1 Mar 1934. Prybrands was also the Conrad Razor Blade Co. of Long Island, they had many trademarks during 1932-1934 .

proxy.php

Attachments

• $il_570xN.117178278.jpg
    $il_570xN.117178278.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 159
What a great collection! Congrats. I've always thought that the Barbasol OC was one of the best looking razors out there, that would be the one on the left. I managed to obtain one after a great deal of effort and when it arrived it was one of the grungiest looking razors you could imagine. A short soak in Barbicide and guess what? It looks almost new. It proved to be a very fine, aggressive shaver. Love it.

Mission accomplished

View attachment 558591

A Floating head, a Nonfloating head and both open comb models of the Barbasol razors.

Top Bottom