What's new

Barbasol 1919

The following text is taken from Barbasol's website regarding their 1919 cream:

"In 1919, Barbasol invented the very first no brush, no lather, no rub-in shaving cream. Today, we celebrate this milestone with a fresh take on THE ORIGINAL!"

At the risk of sounding ill informed (Yes, I know, a high risk indeed!) what is meant by "no rub-in"? How else does one get the product on one's face (or whatever you're shaving)?

"In 1919, Barbasol invented the very first no brush, no lather, no rub-in shaving cream. Today, we celebrate this milestone with a fresh take on THE ORIGINAL!"

At the risk of sounding ill informed (Yes, I know, a high risk indeed!) what is meant by "no rub-in"? How else does one get the product on one's face (or whatever you're shaving)?
Had to laugh at your comment.

Reactions: ike
Today I finally tried out the barbasol creme it wasn't bad other than I had a few nicks and yes it gunk's up my 65 slim razor and also had to go back to my prosaso white soap for last pass wished it could lather the barbasol

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.

My guess is they simply mean you don't have to rub it on with so much pressure I've used Molle and other cold cream style brushless and you really need to work those in a bit as they are so thick. It sounds like this is very similar to Dr. Carver's shave butter which I've also used and it is of a much lower viscosity than a cold cream style brushless. You rub it on, but don't need a lot of pressure. I take rubbing with pressure to spread the cream properly to be the same as what they mean by rubbing in as opposed to rubbing it in for the skin to absorb.

Looks like good stuff. I have long liked some of the brushless, fatherless options. In some ways they are exactly like any soap you care to name. You can always find someone who swears by x and you can always find someone that swears at x.

Reactions: ike

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Today I finally tried out the barbasol creme it wasn't bad other than I had a few nicks and yes it gunk's up my 65 slim razor and also had to go back to my prosaso white soap for last pass wished it could lather the barbasol

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I'm thinking based on what I've been reading about this cream, if it gunks up your razor, you have too much for the amount of moisture. It seems like one needs to dial it in like a soap to get it nice and slick but easily rinse-able.

I had forgotten I had seen it advertised as "coming soon" a month or two ago. Just placed an order so I will try mine out in a couple days.

Before COVID I was using a Cremo shave stick for travel. It works great, but I've a soft spot for Barbasol. If they offer this in a TSA approved travel size I'll definitely pick some up once my travel schedule picks up again.

I believe an earlier post...or possibly on another thread...I thought someone posted a pic of little sample sized pouches of the new Barbasol brushless cream. A few of those in the Dopp kit would be perfect for airbound trips. Maybe Barbasol will make them available for purchase.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Wish it was in a metal tube.
I kind of do too, but metal ones some times crack and leak - Palmolive, I'm lookin' at you. What I think would look better is if they did the writing as if the bottle were displayed layed down instead of standing on it's head. I would look more nostalgic in my opinion. Sounds like a cracker of a brushless though!

This thread got me all nostalgic. Pulled out the anniversary can of the original foam today. Got a great shave. I have liked the Orange can and Purple over the Original, but today's shave with the Original was improved over normal as I let the cream sit on my face for a good two minutes before shaving. It did seem to soften the whiskers more. Or maybe it was placebo effect. Either way it was a great shave.

I used this to clean up my face for No Shave November. I got an alright shave. I had no problems on my face, but ended up getting some irritation and a nick on my neck. I would only use this to line up my beard from now on. It wasn't a very comfortable shave.

Can anyone expand on what the scent is like?

I am not good with scents, but I feel like it is a little "soapy" but very mild. Not a strong scent.

After a couple uses I have mixed feelings. It is very slick but I don't think it's very protective. I feel a lot of blade. Had a couple weepers today, which is very unusual for me.

It is also more difficult to rinse from the razor and the sink - and my used hand.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm ok with blade feel. Not always, but if I want the closest shave, I spritz on some witch hazel and do a last ATG pass or touchups anywhere I can feel stubble. Listen for the whiskers making the razor sing. When the singing stops I'm done.

I find I don't need any protection, just slickness. If a soap offers a lot of protection/cushion, I just use more pressure, if it offers less, I use less pressure.

The other day I used my Carbon CX which is very difficult to do an ATG pass on my upper lip with. Instead of more lather on the lip for the ATG pass, I rubbed on a bit of Billy Jealousy - insanely slick. Shaved ATG on the upper lip with the Carbon CX like it was a Feather AS-D2.

I'm telling you, reduce the friction and you can get some really nice shaves.

I had a tube of this arrive in the mail today.
Smells all right and it turned my face into an ice skating rink.
I don't know how good that actually is. I'd never be able to use this with a straight because I lose the ability to stretch my skin.
I used my EJ 3one6 today. Was a relatively harsh shave. Got some irritation on my neck and the AV Ice Blue stung going on. I suppose I'd get used to this product if I used it a bit but I don't know. Probably let the wife use it on her legs instead.

Top Bottom