What's new

Barbasol 100th Anniversary Edition Can

I had a huge 400ml barber size can of proraso green foam that lasted me over 6 months being used for 3 pass shaves 3-4 times a week, now that was awesome! Since then prorasohas changed to a 300ml can (for the same price of course).

I too noticed the new 7 oz cans cost the same as the 10 oz ones did. I always preferred Barbasol because it was cheaper than Gillette Foamy but it makes no sense for me to stick with Barasol.
Barbasol is 21 cents an ounce vs 17 cents an ounce for Foamy.
I love Barbasol for its retro style and because its made here in Ohio but it makes no sense to pay more for less product, especially when, IMO, Foamy performs better.

Everything is getting smaller and for the same price or higher. This seems to be the trend especially in food products for sure. I don't think this will go back to the ole days, so we just have to get used to it..IMO.

Everything is getting smaller and for the same price or higher. This seems to be the trend especially in food products for sure. I don't think this will go back to the ole days, so we just have to get used to it..IMO.

I agree. While we are not all made of money, may not get regular raises, and some of us may be unemployed or retired... It is a reasonable assumption on the part of a product manufacturer that as cost of living goes up wages also go up there for the cost of their product can go up, or in this case: quantity reduced. This has been happing since before the oldest of B&B members were even born and will not change any time soon. If this wasn't a reality then we would all still be paying $0.10 for a dozen eggs, $0.15 for a gallon of gas, and $0.20 for a pack of smokes. Would that be awesome for our wallets? Absolutely! However the company who offers the product we love so much would then go bankrupt and we wouldn't be able to buy said product. See where I'm going with this?

It also makes me laugh how on a hobbyist forum where members have hundreds of dollars worth of vintage razors, thousands of different blades, enough aftershave to will to their grandkids, and regularly buy $15-$20 single 4oz pucks of artisan soap are losing it over a sub $2 can of foam (that lasts months of daily use) dropping 3oz of product lol. Yes, let's all join enmasse welding torches and march upon the doors of the barbasol factory to squash these evil oppressors who offer a quality product still for under $2 even in 2019 after 100 years of being produced. Your grandfather would tell you to stop being a... Well, you get it.

I guess 2019 really is going to be recorded as the year to complain about stupid crap.

Last edited:
I agree. While we are not all made of money, may not get regular raises, and some of us may be unemployed or retired... It is a reasonable assumption on the part of a product manufacturer that as cost of living goes up wages also go up there for the cost of their product can go up, or in this case: quantity reduced. This has been happing since before the oldest of B&B members were even born and will not change any time soon. If this wasn't a reality then we would all still be paying $0.10 for a dozen eggs, $0.15 for a gallon of gas, and $0.20 for a pack of smokes. Would that be awesome for our wallets? Absolutely! However the company who offers the product we love so much would then go bankrupt and we wouldn't be able to buy said product. See where I'm going with this?

It also makes me laugh how on a hobbyist forum where members have hundreds of dollars worth of vintage razors, thousands of different blades, enough aftershave to will to their grandkids, and regularly buy $15-$20 single 4oz pucks of artisan soap are losing it over a sub $2 can of foam (that lasts months of daily use) dropping 3oz of product lol. Yes, let's all join enmasse welding torches and march upon the doors of the barbasol factory to squash these evil oppressors who offer a quality product still for under $2 even in 2019 after 100 years of being produced. Your grandfather would tell you to stop being a... Well, you get it.

I guess 2019 really is going to be recorded as the year to complain about stupid crap.
No complaints here. Very good write up and well put. Bravo my friend.

Well, my grandparents would have slapped me if I didnt complain. LOL As for the complaining, why wouldnt I complain about Barbasol trying to sell me less product for the same amount of money when I can buy the same stuff from Gillette and get a better value? Now, if the day comes that Gillette jacks the price of Foamy up to $3 for a can, then we can have a different conversation.
I mean, as much as Id love to try Foamy Lime, the only place Ive found it is online and Im not about to pay $2.50 for a can of it.
FWIW, the new, 7 oz cans of Barbasol are still far less of a ripoff than $25 shaving soaps are. LOL

I bought an anniversary can today at Bed Bath & Beyond, $1.74.

Every outlet around me (SE Va) sells Barbisol in the 10oz can, with one exception: Dollar Tree sells the narrow cans for a buck apiece.

Well, my grandparents would have slapped me if I didnt complain. LOL As for the complaining, why wouldnt I complain about Barbasol trying to sell me less product for the same amount of money when I can buy the same stuff from Gillette and get a better value? Now, if the day comes that Gillette jacks the price of Foamy up to $3 for a can, then we can have a different conversation.
I mean, as much as Id love to try Foamy Lime, the only place Ive found it is online and Im not about to pay $2.50 for a can of it.
FWIW, the new, 7 oz cans of Barbasol are still far less of a ripoff than $25 shaving soaps are. LOL

Foamy goes up and up, it's pretty crazy. Barbasol has stayed pretty consistent but I've seen foamy around $3 at some pharmacies and fancy grocery stores. I cap my soap/creams at $10 tops because I've never found anything above that price range to outperform anything below it enough to be worth it's price. That doesn't include bulk purchasing of course. I'd love to try the revamped foamy barbershop fresh can but I've only seen it at Walgreens for around $5... The new barbasol Pacific rush menthol/caffeine is my favorite of their's so far and less then $2 so I won't be trying that foamy anytime soon haha.

Foamy goes up and up, it's pretty crazy. Barbasol has stayed pretty consistent but I've seen foamy around $3 at some pharmacies and fancy grocery stores. I cap my soap/creams at $10 tops because I've never found anything above that price range to outperform anything below it enough to be worth it's price. That doesn't include bulk purchasing of course. I'd love to try the revamped foamy barbershop fresh can but I've only seen it at Walgreens for around $5... The new barbasol Pacific rush menthol/caffeine is my favorite of their's so far and less then $2 so I won't be trying that foamy anytime soon haha.

I picked some Barbershop fresh @ [emoji457] for a 1.79$. You really need to try, it is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my area all target and Publix stores have changed to 7oz cans while all Walmarts have stayed with the 10oz cans (for now). I also found that my local Publix stores no longer carry the new pacific rush with caffeine amd menthol or the Gillette foamy menthol. They did lower their price on the 3.5oz bottles of aqua velva to $1.47, would have bought them all if av didn't have so much glycerin.

saw a bunch at Shop Rite and Dollar General no other 10oz Barbasol cans at both places

to clarify, I meant to say I saw a bunch of 10oz 100 anniversary cans, no other Barbasol variety, just 10oz anniversary editions. Looks like they are clearing things out to make way for the 7 oz

To each their own. Im a big fan of Gillette Foamy Barbershop Fresh. Its got a nice talc scent to it.

Was at the grocery store to grab supplies for supper. They still had all 10oz cans out, and just one of them was an anniversary can. There can't be many more of these out in the wild anymore. I hadn't bought one at all so I grabbed this one for $1.49. Maybe I'll try it for tomorrow night's shave. Smells good.

Top Bottom