What's new

Baratza Grinders- 80$

I bought this as a grinder to take to the office (for a French press and and Aeropress) and it's actually really, really nice fore $80. It's no Rancillio Rocky, but by god it does a darn good job. Not really sure why this couldn't be used for espresso, makes a fine, consistent grind and doesn't impart much heat onto the beans (low RPM). Is it as good as my espresso grinder? Well no, but frankly - it doesn't leave much to be desired, so for the money, it's a big winner in my book.

Thanks Joel. Concise, no bull opinion of what seems to be a more than decent product for its price. This one will be ordered shortly.

Regards, Todd

This is exactly what I did. I really didn't understand what was "wrong" with my whirly grinder until I got the Virtuoso...and that is only after four uses.
That's always the case. I didn't understand what was wrong with my blade grinder until I got a Rocky. I didn't understand what was wrong with my Rocky until I got a Super Jolly. I think I've hit the limits of my taste as far as the grinder is concerned though.

It's difficult to understand anything that you don't have experience with. I mean, I find it funny that $80 is considered mid range in this thread for a grinder but I do recall being at that point when I first seriously started down the espresso path. Over time, my perception of what is and isn't expensive with espresso equipment has changed. My "very expensive" Silvia is now "entry level". YMMV, as with anything on this site. This grinder will certainly meet the requirements for many out there and this is a good price for it.

I hear you Bob. While I have no doubt the coffee fanatics are entirely correct about getting the ultimate grind for a proper espresso, I wonder how much it would show through in the latte, cappucino, or macchiato drinks? I don't even know the difference in any of them and I doubt my wife does either. As long as it is sweet, rich, and "coffee" flavoured, she will be happy.
Depends on the individual. Straight espresso drinkers seem to like to say that "milk hides all evils". I don't find that to be true for me. There's a massive difference between a milk drink made with poor espresso and one made with good espresso -- or even comparing good espresso with very good espresso in milk drinks.

However, if a person's taste buds aren't that picky it probably won't matter. I mean, lots of people love the lattes from Starbies. I can't stand them. Again, experience plays a part in all this. Perception and expectation can change once you've had an outstanding example of one of these drinks (if you can appreciate the difference).

Last edited:
It has been over a month since this was originally posted. Any reports back on the quality?

I am in the market to upgrade my grinder, been using a cheap B&D burr grinder for a year or so.

It always seems to be a mixture of almost powder and coarse grounded coffee.

I am looking for something good for French Press, Moka Pot, aero press, drip coffee, and for grinding a few days worth of coffee to take into the office and use with pour over.

btw, what is the difference between this and the maestro?

The Barista adds pulse and I believe better gear reduction. The Maestro Plus has those features as well, but costs a lot more.

Thanks. I pulled the trigger on this today.

From what I'm reading, as long as I do not decide to buy an espresso machine I should be good to go.

I am probably going to buy one of these as well. The price is grand and from what I gather, the pressurised porta-filter in my wife's low priced DeLonghi espresso machine can use the grind this machine provides. And even if it is not exactly right for espresso, it will work for any drip or press coffee we want to make. They seem to have a good reputation.

One question for those who have these refurb models. The description of the product on the website does not make it clear whether these grinders have the supposedly newer and improved dc motor or whether some newer model does and these do not. Do you know what's what with this model?

Regards, Todd

They are great little grinders for the money. The modification is posted on the 'net and was far easier to do than I had anticipated. Even with your pressurized portafilter play with your grind until the machine chokes, pump can't force the water through. Then back it off until you get what your nose,mouth and eyes like. Mark you settings for espresso and presspot/vacuum brewing and you really won"t need to upgrade for quite a while.

I am doing this backwards, coffegeek to razor freak, not the other way round:001_smile

You are of course correct, Jim. I will do it soon.

Thanks bluther. This little grinder has interested me since Jim posted the link. Probably the way to go. Thanks again.

Regards, Todd

Grinder arrived today. Much more substantial than my el cheapo b&d burr grinder. So much quieter too.

I think i may be able to use this without waking up my wife.

Edit: O.k. it is not that quite. It is just a different noise than my old one. I am guessing because it is a lower RPM, it is not as high pitched.

The good so far:
Grinds relatively quickly
Grind is even all the way through. no powder
No static so far. Grinds are not sticking and no mess.

Last edited:
Hey Ben, does yours have the newer DC motor? I am in the process of emailing them to find out but wanted some hands on information if possible. Thank you.

Regards, Todd

I like this grinder so much (for the money, that is) I picked up a Vario for espresso instead of a Mazzer Super Jolly, or Max Hybrid.

Hey chaps. I got a speedy reply from Baratza. This model does indeed have the DC motor in it. The responder said all their models have DC motors. So why mention the AC motor? Just weird but no worries. I am ordering one of these this weekend. Thanks again for the link Jim!

Regards, Todd

I bought one of these today based soley on what B&B contributors suggested. Now, if someone could direct me to a thread that talks about similar quality for the money in coffee makers, I'd appreciate it. :001_smile

I bought one of these today based soley on what B&B contributors suggested. Now, if someone could direct me to a thread that talks about similar quality for the money in coffee makers, I'd appreciate it. :001_smile
You should start a new thread if you have specific needs, but I think almost everyone's going to agree that the best bang for the buck in a coffee maker is a [thread=181462]French press pot[/thread], again, unless you have something specific in mind.

Hey Bud,
French presses are good - but knowing you and your lovely wife, i'm going to predict you wouldn't be doing backflips over it. For standard drip coffee, Technivorms are really quite superb. They're not "cheap" per-se, but they'll brew a noticeably better cup of coffee than a Cuisinart, etc.

Drop me a line if/when you get a new machine and i'll roast up some beans for ya :thumbup:

I just ordered one of these grinders this evening. I can't wait to give it a go. Thanks again for posting the link.

Regards, Todd

jbviau @ slickdeals.net said:
I just picked up the last 2 of these at my local Williams-Sonoma (Cross Keys location in Baltimore) for $49.99 each, which is a phenomenal price. Hopefully someone else will have the same good luck or at least find one for $79 or $99 (NB: the average retail price is $199.99). This will be highly YMMV, I expect.

I'd suggest calling first since the Baratza Virtuoso is out of stock online (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...CTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-) and becoming very rare in B&M stores also.

W-S is changing up their grinder line and discontinuing these, but the grinder itself is still very much in production and will continue to be supported by the manufacturer. I know a few people who have had Virtuosos for years and love them. The grind is supposedly very consistent.

A few reviews/links for the curious:

http://www.baratza.com/products.php?id=1

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/baratzavirtuoso?Page=1&Sort=rank&Order=0

Thanks to forum member EricBNC for the tip!

Just caught this post over on Slickdeals. I'm tapped out so won't be able to grab this, but figured I would pass it along to the fine fellows here. This is the ongoing thread there; http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2592155 :thumbup:

Top Bottom