What's new

Bar Tools

Yeah, I love me some sweet corn goodness...I like a good scotch too, but I really enjoy the sublteties and complexity of a good bourbon. They are very underrated, and not nearly as fashionable as single malts (which I find rather one-note in character, although there are really good ones). I sort of got into bourbon because of hipster douchebag backlash...I got so sick of all those know-it-all jackasses trying to impress that I went for what most of them consider to be rather lowbrow and hillbilly American drink, but seriously...a good Kentucky bourbon can be every bit as impressive as a fine single malt. Besides, nothing says "don't mess with me" as "bourbon, neat...make it a double...", lol.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... I sort of got into bourbon because of hipster douchebag backlash...I got so sick of all those know-it-all jackasses trying to impress that I went for what most of them consider to be rather lowbrow and hillbilly American drink, ... Besides, nothing says "don't mess with me" as "bourbon, neat...make it a double...", lol.

Why not go all the way and get into Canadian Rye? :001_rolle There's far less risk of the word "artisinal" being stuck in front of rye ...

Rye's pretty good in a Manhattan, but I'm just not a fan of it neat, lol...it's sort of the Lee Marvin of grain alcohol, I'll give you that!

"artisinal" bourbon? I've run into a few bourbon snobs, but never heard one of them say artisinal without laughing. Aside from Bookers, I could never develop a preference for bourbon over corn whiskey. I like the cleanness of bourbon as much as the richer body of whiskey. Just as easily go woodford as jack.

Only bar tip I have is about ice. Use spring water for ice cubes, and keep them covered. If I'm expecting company, I do fruit slices in the ice--fill 1/3 with water, freeze, add fruit and water, freeze. I also do cubes from juice, coffee, whatever. Also keep a barrel of plastic reusable cubes for slow sipping cold drinks that aren't watered down.

Top Bottom