What's new

Bar soap that doesn't dry skin?

www.cetaphil.com

You can find it in most supermarkets and drugstores. Not exactly cheap, but quite affordable because it lasts a long time. You might also want to try the house-branded generic equivalents.

I've been using it as my daily go-to soap for about 6 months now.

It has a rather clinical smell ... like you might find in a hospital or dentist's office. But for someone like me that doesn't care for "froo-froo" products, it fits the bill quite nicely. The aroma it does have provides a good clean base for any scent I want to put on top of it, like Tabac, Musgo, Clubman, etc.

Make sure to read their catalog before you buy ... some products are called "Cleansers" and will dry your skin. Others specify "Moisturizer".

Their cream is excellent stuff, too. Absorbs quickly and leaves your skin feeling great.

try any of toms of Maine soaps especially the moisturizing ones, also try Yardley. i use the lavender, or look for organic areas in stores, they normally have alot of good soaps

If you can find them :glare: try the Pre de Provence soap line. With as hard as our water is here it was the only soap I've used for years. The only catch is that I can only find it in the middle of the state which is a good 2 hour drive.

Failing that, try the Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn and Sandalwood bath bar. It's a tad pricey for the size of the bar, but it's very moisturizing and the smell is pure :001_tt1:
I like this soap enough that at some point I'm going to post a full review of it. I just get it at Whole Foods/Whole Paycheck

Last edited:
There are no "soaps" that don't dry the skin somewhat, because in doing their job they strip the skin of natural oils. (If they didn't, you wouldn't feel "clean.")

Only a non-soap bar can truly be non-drying. Cetaphil is probably the best one out there.

By the way, it's the world's most boring product. No scent, terrible "feel" on the skin. But it does wash off the dirt without drying the skin.

Was using some products mentioned then I gave Cetaphil a try.

Wow, this stuff is very gentle and my skin doesn't get dry.

Still, I haven't yet gotten the chance to use it in the winter.

That will be the big test.

Nancy Boy soaps seem to be well-liked around here (though I haven't tried them myself) so I don't think you will regret that decision. :smile:

You will not regret ordering from Nancy Boy once you have tried the soaps. I think you will likely order from them again.

Nancy Boy soaps are great. One bar has lasted me about 5 months, and I'm still not done with it. The smell is pretty light, but that's okay.

Dove, Dove, Dove, I've tried so many different fancy soaps from small manufacturers - olive oil soap, goat's milk soap, sunflower oil soap, glycerin etc. etc. but in the end nothing lathers so well as Dove, nothing is as gentle and non-drying as it. I've always found that actual soap just never rinses as cleanly as Dove, it always feels like there is some kind of residue left on the skin.

It's a little more expensive maybe than other stuff, but if you stock up when it's on sale somewhere, it isn't really.

For a facial cleanser and moisturizer, as someone else said, I find Cetaphil to be the absolute best. I buy the store brand knockoff of it, which is half the price, but if you look on the back the ingredient list is identical.

Sorry to kind of necro bump this but I ended up finding a solution that I would share with you gents. Eyebright on this forum makes her own soap, and she sent me quite a few different samples to try out. They actually all ended up working for me. Her "Dry skin" bar I would say worked the best and was my favorite, didn't have a scent.

They last awhile to as long as you have a proper soap rack for it to drain. I suffered from really bad dry skin after showers and now i am totally fine. So I would send her a PM and really consider it :biggrin:

I use the Dove sensitive bar, while it doesn't smell the best while using it the smell disappears very quickly leaving a neutral smell, which is great as it doesn't clash with AS or Edc.

H

Hanzo

Oil of Olay Complete Body Wash-extra dry skin

Or

Oil of Olay moistrurerinse in shower body lotion

Super market stuff thats extremely moisturising. I used this and my wife said '' wow your skin is so soft" :eek:

If you are asking about more expensive soaps I found that the Tabac Luxury Soap (bath not shave) was rather nice. I can't see spending the scratch for it regularly but it is nice time to time.

Sadly Dove dries me out so fast. Some of the Old oatmeal soaps worked well to a point.
Of late I have turned to two bar soaps both from L'Occitane. The milk soap is wonderful, slick, clean and zero drying or irritation. The second I have been using for three weeks only and so far so good. It is the wood soap Vetiver, again zero irritation or dryness with a tad more fragrance which is so nice. The jumbo size bars last very well, a little spendy but for me the quality and lack of reaction is worth every penny.

Regards

Simon

I'm only 21 and suffered acne as a teen, now I get occasional spot, though my skin is oily and has some clogged pores, but exfoliating them manually with a brush or pumice stone gets rid of em. Anyways, Noxzema seems to be working well for me, also I've been looking at Pears bar soap, seems very gentle.

Does the high quality soap still leave behind a film? I don't seem to have trouble with a soap bar drying out my skin, but I HATE the sticky tacky kinda film that gets left behind for a while...

i think that has more to do with your water than your soap, do you have a whole house water filter? if not something like this, might help(but it will look terrible), otherwise if you can stand the smell this stuff rinses good:huh:

Top Bottom