What's new

Bar Hand Soap for Shaving. Any Recommendations?

I cut up fine some Dove soap ends and “melted” them in an empty TBS tub.
after drying tub (about a day) I loaded brush and lathered in a scuttle for normal time.
the later is equal to any other soap I have (Truffit,Taylor,Prorazo) but for free as they were scrap ends. You could use a new bar and it would be pennies a shave! Good soap, great deal.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The name was changed to ivory Soap and somewhere along the line they accidentally made a batch of soap with extra air which allowed the soap to float. They decided to use that accident as a marketing gimmick.
Especially since air was so low cost. I'm guessing sooner or later they may move manufacturing nearer to Wash. D.C. so they can be very close to cheap hot air.

Especially since air was so low cost. I'm guessing sooner or later they may move manufacturing nearer to Wash. D.C. so they can be very close to cheap hot air.

If they make it close to DC, they might not be able to claim that Ivory is 99.44% pure. The air and many other things in DC are contaminated/corrupted, no matter which party is in power.

With all due respect, I can't understand why you wouldn't use a soap specifically designed for shaving. Just sayin'.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
About a year ago I started using Yardley Oatmeal and Almond moisturizing bath bars. I grate up half a cake and melt it a little and press into my shaving mug.

Works like a charm. Sure; a lather with more tallow is going to feel more slick -- as I know from also making my own shave soaps. But at the price (CAD$2.50 per bar), and considering that a half-bar of soap lasts me about two months, I'm only spending five bucks every eight months or so. Under $8.00 per year for soap.

More money to spend on razors.

O.H.

Medimix clear glycerine Tea Tree & Honey ~ from India. Performs and lathers as well as any shaving soap I've ever used and is very inexpensive at Indian grocery stores.

I don't know a lot about soaps. I need your advice.

I have tough whiskers, hard water, and I brush lather. I've used dedicated shaving soaps and like them, but I would like to experiment a bit with a regular bar soap for shaving. I have used Dove bar soap for shaving, and had surprisingly good results.

Today I was in a "health-oriented alternative super market" and purchased a bar of Kirk's coconut oil castile soap and a bar of One with Nature Shave and Shower soap. I plan to use them for shaving experimentation in a few days. If they don't work out, I will use them for bathing and showering.

I would value your comments, and any recommendations for using bar soap for shaving.
Dove is good hand soap for shaving

Homemade Charcoal soap made by yours truly 😁

Contains a variety of natural oils and butters etc.

Cold pressed soap.

I made a batch two years ago and still excellent.

Make your own dude .

IMG_20211028_112358~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211028_113330~2.jpg
    IMG_20211028_113330~2.jpg
    884.4 KB · Views: 6
After reading this thread I shaved a little while ago with yardley bar soap a cheap boar brush and a feather artist club ss razor one pass with a little touching up. One small weeper very nice shave no irritation at all, last shave like this was about a year ago.

If they make it close to DC, they might not be able to claim that Ivory is 99.44% pure. The air and many other things in DC are contaminated/corrupted, no matter which party is in power.
They may still be able to keep the purity claim. Just need an asterisk to note that the product would then be 99.44% hot air and 0.56% soap:) May even be able to show the soap floating in the air like a balloon. 🤣

I've been using the generic bar soap at the sink. I wet my face, soap up my hands and apply. Then I try to rinse most of it off, because I noticed soap is the slipperiest right before it's all rinsed off. Many BBS using this method.

Regarding soap drying my face, I get into the shower right after shaving so that's not any kind of game changer.

I've been using the generic bar soap at the sink. I wet my face, soap up my hands and apply. Then I try to rinse most of it off, because I noticed soap is the slipperiest right before it's all rinsed off. Many BBS using this method.

Regarding soap drying my face, I get into the shower right after shaving so that's not any kind of game changer.
Thank you for the tip, will have to try

Top Bottom