What's new

Bar Dishwashing Soap

Anyone have any experience with bar/block dishwashing soap? I like the idea, but a lot of the negative reviews I seem refer to a residue being left on the dishes. The soap itself seem cheap enough, but I assume I will want some kind of holder and brush. Any brand preferences. Many seem to be neutral fragrance, but it seems like the type of thing that would be good with a fresh scent.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Wish i could help. Im a brand snob with Dawn. Im not sure why, perhaps because they clean the ducks with oil on them. Funny thing, i prefer the scent of Palmolive, but always buy Dawn.

When I as a lad about 60 years ago, my grandmother always washed her dishes with Fairy Household green soap. I can still remember the taste on everything!

She used to have a piece in a little cage on a stick and swizzled it round in the water first. Horrible stuff! Perhaps the stuff you are talking about is an improvement!

Gareth

I seem to favor Dawn myself. I really like the Platinum Powerwash Dish Spray product and whatever there was before that this replaces that seemed to come and go on the market. Dawn really seems to cut grease well. I also use regular Dawn as part of the mix in a DYI everyday shower cleaner, which I really like. It seems to help other stuff rinse off the shower walls and glass door, while leaving no apparent film itself.

I take it the idea of this block dishwashing soap is you rub a bristley brush across the top of the block and then use brush on the dirty dishes, although I assume you can use a sponge or whatever. Reminds me of using a shaving brush on a puck of shaving soap. Seems like some thing interesting to fool around with, seemed efficient, and seemed like something aesthetically pleasing to have by the sink. But leaving a film or a taste on the dishes does not seem great!

I suppose most stuff goes into the dishwasher anyway.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I do believe that liquid dish soap is one of those areas where the old-fashioned way is, most certainly, not better than the more modern.

When it comes to dish soap, I have to be very careful because of being allergic to an ingredient found in many fragrances. Fortunately, that's a little easier than it used to be.

Liquid "dish soap" is a detergent that will rinse clean and cut grease better than old-fashioned stuff. I guess it depends on the formula you get in your bar, it is possible to make a detergent bar, so maybe it will work all right.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I would look out for the bar soap containing Lye. That would be a no no for any cast iron pans you might clean. That will definitely strip your seasonings.

I would look out for the bar soap containing Lye. That would be a no no for any cast iron pans you might clean. That will definitely strip your seasonings.
Crap, feeling old here, used to help my mom make soap when I was a kid, ya, lye with all the stuff she put in, cooked it up, let it harden, would grate it for laundry soap(think ivory snow flakes here), made bars for reg use, took the old bars and put in facecloths sewn up to hold all the leftover pieces and it would suds up. Never wasted anything. days of long gone by I guess.. Kids nowadays dont know what they missed lol..

There’s dr bonners bar soap. They say it can be used to wash dishes
Definitely! I bought a bar, but have not tried it out yet. I was leaning toward one of those block French soaps, because I thought it would look cool and smell nice, but my wife seems think not!

I tried using Zote soap for dishes. I read somewhere that it could be used as such. Tried rubbing a cloth on it and rubbing the dishes as well as grating it, melting it and mixing it with water to make a liquid version. Results were not good. I got the residue you mentioned in each attempt. As mentioned by TexLaw above, modern liquid dish detergent is much better than soap (in my experiences at least).

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
We always used to take a bar of Sunlight camping. Worked on dishes, worked on clothing, worked on us bathing in the lake.

Top Bottom