What's new

Bank ATM rant

What is it with ATMs nowadays? The notes come out without all being aligned the same way. Today, I got a $20 bill all patched up with tape. I took it into the bank and asked them to replace it and they refused to do it because I didn't have an account with them. Seriously?

There used to be a time when the ATM dispensed money like a professional. Now it dispenses money like a thug.

Sadly, it was one of the smaller regional banks that I had been considering moving my account to. But after this experience I don’t think they are any better than the big banks.

I always thought any bank would exchange ripped/taped bills for ones in better condition and exchange coins for bills. I guess I was wrong.

I've noticed the lack of "alignment" of the bills lately as well. And I use one of the big money center banks. Even they can't get it right. As far as exchanging bills that are all taped together, they may not have wanted to exchange it because they have no idea if you got it from their machine or somewhere else. The only thing you want to look at if you end up with one of those is to make sure the serial numbers on both halves of the bill match up. If not, then your bill is worthless.

I haven't had an issue since I told them to take any kind of "overdraft protection" off of my account. The people in the bank are usually courteous and willing to help, and the ATM's sort the bills out properly lol.

I've seen too many people with credit union problems to consider moving to one.

I always thought any bank would exchange ripped/taped bills for ones in better condition and exchange coins for bills. I guess I was wrong.
That's what I thought too. I was expecting them to be grateful that I was bringing them something that needed recycling.

I've noticed the lack of "alignment" of the bills lately as well.
There's probably someone that found that they can save a couple of bucks on the machines that sort/count bills if they don't have to have them all facing the same way.

There's probably someone that found that they can save a couple of bucks on the machines that sort/count bills if they don't have to have them all facing the same way.

I think it's more about the person who loads the bills into the machine in the first place. Yet again, human error.

I think it's more about the person who loads the bills into the machine in the first place. Yet again, human error.
Given how widespread the problem is, I think it's probably a change in policy rather than human error--"We can have fewer tellers if they are not required to straighten up the bills". I'm sure with all the technology we have it's possible to build machines to do these things, but there's cost cutting even with the machines.

Given how widespread the problem is, I think it's probably a change in policy rather than human error--"We can have fewer tellers if they are not required to straighten up the bills". I'm sure with all the technology we have it's possible to build machines to do these things, but there's cost cutting even with the machines.

I guess "human error" wasn't quite the right words. But people are the ones loading the bills. So you are right. Letting them put the bills in any which way saves time and money. And I'll be forever turning the bills in the right direction before I leave the machine and put the money in my pocket. It bothers me if my bills aren't all going in the same direction.

My bank is trying to phase out ATM cards. So now I force myself to use it now and then. All 7-11s have no fees, so that's where I usually go.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I guess "human error" wasn't quite the right words. But people are the ones loading the bills. So you are right. Letting them put the bills in any which way saves time and money. And I'll be forever turning the bills in the right direction before I leave the machine and put the money in my pocket. It bothers me if my bills aren't all going in the same direction.
My mom was a book keeper. She taught me to line up my money. Drives me NUTS if a cashier hands my change back any ole way.

My mom was a book keeper. She taught me to line up my money. Drives me NUTS if a cashier hands my change back any ole way.

Totally. And how about when they hand you the bills first and then put the change on TOP of the bills. Makes me want to go postal. I actually think they do it on purpose so on their break or after their shift they can go outside and pick up all the change they made fall because of this stupid insidious practice. Give me the coins first and THEN give me the bills.

Last edited:
Top Bottom