What's new

Bang for The Buck

What kinda knot are you looking for ?

I want to get a few. Probably one or two boar, and two or three mid grade to high mid grade badger if the wife will let me.
I want to make several brushes soon but want to at least know what's going in them before I make the handle.
That link was a good read. The cut away picture really helped. I book marked it for future reference.
Thanks for the input on you experiences @Big Jim and @REV579 I really want to get better at making brushes and this forums and it's members have been extremely informative and helpful.

One thing to consider is not fixing the knot in place permanently, instead, setting it with silicone. This allows you to experiment with a variety of lofts, Handle/ferrule opening sizes, and styles without the need to turn a dozen handles. Factors like glue bulge and functional loft can vary, knot to knot, which would effect the ideal opening size and ideal loft for a brush.
A good handle is cool, but in the end, it’s all about the function of the knot, right?

Great thread and helpful to others like me. I get frustrated reading the frequent "top 5" or "mine is best" type threads over the years.

For some reason, this thread turned out different: a solid comparison of different grades and different knots as value for the money spent. The replies are also from very experienced members who have done the work! Thank you all.

I have a TGN 2-band finest and want to try a softer step up for my next vintage brush reknot, and this info has been super--in short, the Maggards, ACE, and TGN knots are all well thought of for their price, and some of these stack up well against higher priced knots.

For me, I had great customer service from TGN before, so I will probably get their premium silvertip once my vintage Simms brush arrives in the mail and I can measure it.

Thanks to all the posters!

One thing to consider is not fixing the knot in place permanently, instead, setting it with silicone. This allows you to experiment with a variety of lofts, Handle/ferrule opening sizes, and styles without the need to turn a dozen handles. Factors like glue bulge and functional loft can vary, knot to knot, which would effect the ideal opening size and ideal loft for a brush.
A good handle is cool, but in the end, it’s all about the function of the knot, right?

Very good suggestion. I will be going that route with my brushes. Although. If I turned 40 or 50 handles then I could justify 40 or 50 knot purchases.

Top Bottom