What's new

Bang for The Buck

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I wouldn't put a fork in the comparison yet.

Like a good pair of shoes or boots, you have to use a brush several times before it hits its stride.

I'm surprised you find the Envy White so similar to the Maggard knot. Mine are different.

The current batch must be different than the Envy White brushes I have from last year+.

I'm interested that you measured how much they bloomed. I've noticed some brushes do so more than others but have never found a strong correlation between the amount a brush spreads out and blooms with how it performs.

I found the Maggard knot to be much nicer ,The EWS was not what I expected at all . The Maggard and the Vigshaving are the two knots that are similar. And like you and Jay said ,Time will be the true test as it is with everything .

I see. I got mixed up admiring the brush handles.

At the end of the day Steve, those handles came out spectacular. The real stars of the show!

I bet even a Scotch Bright pad jammed in one of your handles would feel like a million bucks.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have one and did not include it in this because it was very similar and it was not new.
plus it was a few dollars more than the Mags.
One thing I wanted to show that sometimes paying for a name does not make it better.

I have enjoyed this thread so much.

I got a Vigshaving knot recently and I am enjoying it a lot . As it is my first badger brush, I don't understand how would this affordable knot compare with more expensive knots.

So 1 out of 10, if I would put 5 to this knot, what note would be on an expensive one? Maybe someone who has them both could answer.

Getting what you pay for is not so easy really. I have bought many knots and many brushes from different suppliers. And, what I find is that all but one of the suppliers I've tried does not provide any consistency in their knots and I never know with name brand brushes. The quality, the density and the listed sizes are all over the place. But, I have found one supplier that somehow provides consistent quality in the same knots-- by size and description, including what they call their high mountain white badger. The high mountain white badger knot is really the best I have ever felt and I have enough Simpsons, Rooneys and Thaters to think I know what I am thinking/saying? Price is not the lowest but it is far from the highest and worth every penny as they provide consistent quality brush knots. So getting what you pay for is not an especially easy thing to do with a shaving brush that ends up costing less than $50 including handle. SO many knots that simply were a waste of time and money! I have "rebuilt" 75+ shaving brushes so far including 10 Rubberset 400 Aluminum brushes. That handle simply is as good as it gets IMHO and after the brush knot is in place one can switch heads easily. A great design really! Just saying?

But, I have found one supplier that somehow provides consistent quality in the same knots-- by size and description, including what they call their high mountain white badger. The high mountain white badger knot is really the best I have ever felt

I have a synth brush handle that I would like to put a HMW badger knot. Would you mind sharing this seller with us?

Thank you.

Just found this post. Interesting comparison. So if I read correct the middle price knot was the Maggards and he best bang for the buck.
Also I think my understanding of glue bump is incorrect. Is the glue bump inside the loft?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Yes the Maggard was my favorite of the three and had a very good price for the knot.
The glue bump is the point of the glue that holds the hair together and wicks up in the center .

I don't want to put words in your mouth. Would you say the issue of "time will tell" pointed to the Maggard?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I posted that thread in 2017 and I still have all three Brushes
and I still Prefer the Maggard and use it more than the other two.

Yes the Maggard was my favorite of the three and had a very good price for the knot.
The glue bump is the point of the glue that holds the hair together and wicks up in the center .

Thanks for clearing tthat up. I originally thought the glue numb was on the outside of the plug of glue making it hard to set the knot with I didn't understand because in my limited experience all the knots I've gotten where very uniformly made in that respect.
So to clarify where exactly is loft measured from. I may be misunderstanding this also.

I posted that thread in 2017 and I still have all three Brushes
and I still Prefer the Maggard and use it more than the other two.

Do you have any knots from the Golden Nib. I want to order some knots soon and that's where I purchased the only 4 I've gotten. And was wondering how they compare.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Thanks for clearing tthat up. I originally thought the glue numb was on the outside of the plug of glue making it hard to set the knot with I didn't understand because in my limited experience all the knots I've gotten where very uniformly made in that respect.
So to clarify where exactly is loft measured from. I may be misunderstanding this also.
Do you have any knots from the Golden Nib. I want to order some knots soon and that's where I purchased the only 4 I've gotten. And was wondering how they compare.

Brushology: Anatomy and nomenclature
I have tried a few boar knots from TGN in the past, They are just ok .

I have used a few Finest Badger and Silvertip from TGN and have really liked them. Some of my favorites in fact.

The loft is measured from the top of the handle to the top of the knot if you are talking about the loft of a finished brush. Some may say that the "effective loft" is less if the glue bump inside the knot extends higher than most.

If you are measuring the loft of a bare knot, it is from the bottom of the base to the top of the knot. Typically the knot is set 10 mm to 12 mm into the handle but this is actually a "tuning" point, that is, you can change the character of the brush according to how deep you set it. There is no one best answer for how deep to set it as every knot is different as well as every user expects something different. That's the reason many originally set the knot with silicon so it is easy to remove and reset by drilling deeper or adding or subtracting spacers. Once you determine how you like it it's a good idea to reset it with epoxy.

On the Meggard knots. My 26mm Maggard Two Band knots are among my favorites. It is head and shoulders above others in the Finest catagory that I have tried in that size. I have three of them. My 24mm Maggard Two Band is pretty much on par with a TGN Finest or a Whipped Dog High Mountain. My 26mm Maggard Silvertip is OK, but it isn't as good as my custom made 26mm ACE Silvertip. I have several ACE Finest brushes in various sizes and several TGN Finest in various sizes. All of them are quality knots.

Top Bottom