What's new

Bamboozled

What do I have here? Of course I thought I was buying a Black Beauty. I was buying a bunch and not taking the time to examine each. Underneath, it's stamped "India".

proxy.php

proxy.php

I remember viewing that a while back on Parker’s website while shopping for my wife. They even mentioned I think that they modeled it after the Black Beauty.

Speaking of Parker, I received another Variant today for my son and it no longer has “Made in India” on the bottom of the baseplate like my first Variant. Just all smooth now. Thought it was odd they took that off.

Speaking of Parker, I received another Variant today for my son and it no longer has “Made in India” on the bottom of the baseplate like my first Variant. Just all smooth now. Thought it was odd they took that off.

You got your son a good one, there. Love my Variant.

You got your son a good one, there. Love my Variant.

I love mine also. If you have a Merkur with a long threaded cap or any Progress, try that on your Variant. More aggressive per setting and smoother. If you do try and like the setup, I’ll be happy to tell you how to easily calibrate it per number setting, takes only a few minutes.

I love mine also. If you have a Merkur with a long threaded cap or any Progress, try that on your Variant. More aggressive per setting and smoother. If you do try and like the setup, I’ll be happy to tell you how to easily calibrate it per number setting, takes only a few minutes.

Oh and sorry about the thread hijack, the Parker looks nice.

M

member 119848

I´m wondering if the Parker 96R is an exact replica of the black beauty... or just a ressemblance.
has anyone both?
Does Parker make its tto's with plated brass?

I´m wondering if the Parker 96R is an exact replica of the black beauty... or just a ressemblance.
has anyone both?
Does Parker make its tto's with plated brass?

All Gillette “Black Beauty” Super Adjustables have an aluminum handle and the initial years had brass baseplates. The black baseplate on the later SAs were black nylon, not plastic. Those black nylon baseplates you see on those abused razors on eBay always seem to look good as new.

I was taking a trashed SA completely apart one time for some spare parts and just put corrosive toilet bowl cleaner on it to loosen things up. The handle did not fade, but the numbers washed away immediately like water. Not sure what they put on those aluminum handles but it’s tough.

This Parker razor is not adjustable like the SA.

Last edited:
M

member 119848

Thanks for the explanation... I had totally forgotten, that the black beauty an ajustable was!
When I see Parker ttos, I assume that they're not as well made as the Gillettes were...

Thanks for the explanation... I had totally forgotten, that the black beauty an ajustable was!
When I see Parker ttos, I assume that they're not as well made as the Gillettes were...

Parker makes some good razors. They had some QC problems for a while but are much better now. I almost got this one for my wife and also looked at the 29L because of the resemblance to the Lady Gillette. Just before buying the 29l, I found an NOS Lady Gillette for my wife.

M

member 119848

Parker makes some good razors. They had some QC problems for a while but are much better now. I almost got this one for my wife and also looked at the 29L because of the resemblance to the Lady Gillette. Just before buying the 29l, I found an NOS Lady Gillette for my wife.
I have tried to introduce the DE to my wife but the adoption hasn't worked out yet.
She knows (from my experience) that it's the real deal, but she lacks time and motivation.
A mild Wilkinson sword lies in the shower for her, I 'll see how it goes...
I find ttos perfect for our wifes, because they are easy to load, smooth, and have a "cool factor". On top of that, a Parker won't break the bank.
The 29L in pink looks nice by the way.
If I'd buy her a 96R, because of the looks of the black beauty, I might use it instead :001_smile

I have tried to introduce the DE to my wife but the adoption hasn't worked out yet.
She knows (from my experience) that it's the real deal, but she lacks time and motivation.
A mild Wilkinson sword lies in the shower for her, I 'll see how it goes...
I find ttos perfect for our wifes, because they are easy to load, smooth, and have a "cool factor". On top of that, a Parker won't break the bank.
The 29L in pink looks nice by the way.
If I'd buy her a 96R, because of the looks of the black beauty, I might use it instead :001_smile

The Lady Gillette in blue sits patiently after one use as my wife uses my first cart, my Atra from the 80s. She used it during her pregnancy before my second son was born in July and hasn’t stopped.

Should’ve gotten her the Lady Gillette after her pregnancy.

I've shaved with this Parker 96r a few times since you guys identified it for me. I can now say, it's not for me. Way too mild. Three pass is still not bbs.

Top Bottom