What's new

Bamboo on the Lathe

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So I had this small Bamboo cutting board that I just had to do something with. the end grain is really cool looking . Not sure about the shape yet
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191127124942206.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191127124920565_COVER.jpg

Looks good. Never thought of using Bamboo before, probably would do fine with no finish too!
I have a Kendo stick (Shinai) that only needs the occasional oil and it takes a beating - literally.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Looks good. Never thought of using Bamboo before, probably would do fine with no finish too!
I have a Kendo stick (Shinai) that only needs the occasional oil and it takes a beating - literally.

I'm sure the bamboo will take the abuse of water and soap but that piece is made up of many glue joints so I figured
Why not a little CA to hold it all together and make it water proof

Very cool. It has similar grain structure to palm but bamboo is denser. The shape looks pretty good but you are a wizard with widdling out the best shape for a given grain.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good looking brush handle. Never would have thought of turning a cutting board into a handle.

Very cool Steve! That is some crazy looking end grain. I’ve never seen a brush made from bamboo, let alone the end grain. Very nicely done.

I look at every piece of wood for it's potential :)
It shows! Most people throw away an old cutting board. You made art.
Outstanding craftsmanship, as usual.

I tried turning wood on my metal lathes once. And once it was. Metal lathes are covered with a layer of oil. That fine sawdust stuck to the oily surface of the lathe like poop sticks to a blanket. I also discovered that I have no skill whatsoever turning wood.

Top Bottom