What's new

Bamboo Fly Rod Project

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I based it on a Payne 98 taper with a little bit of a stiffer and longer butt section. It seems like a 4 or 5 weight depending on the line I'm using, and is 7'6". I em enjoying the process of getting to know it on small stream dry fly and soft hackle presentations.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
shoelessjoe,
Thanks for the info and the comments, I just came across your Winston set-up and photos at the classic bamboo rod forum. I have a long way to go and your kind encouragement is appreciated!

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Thank you for the kind words, @EB Newfarm. Truth be told, there are folks on that forum who in the past 5 minutes have forgotten more than I will ever or could ever hope to know about bamboo rods. It is a wonderful forum, though it can get a bit heady & stuffy from time to time.

“...I have a long way to go...”
No, you are already there, sir - i.e., the joy is in the journey. There is no destination ... it’s not about the knowing or the having; rather, it’s about just plain ol’ being.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have a long way to go and your kind encouragement is appreciated!

I can take someone who has never fished before, spend one afternoon at the lake, and teach him all he needs to know to be a good spin-casting fisherman. But getting someone to be good at fly fishing ... that is the study of a lifetime!

Methinks fly rod making is somewhat the same, in that there is always more to learn, skills to further enhance and hone, mastery to ever pursue. Congratulations and keep at it!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
fullsizeoutput_554.jpeg

I can take someone who has never fished before, spend one afternoon at the lake, and teach him all he needs to know to be a good spin-casting fisherman. But getting someone to be good at fly fishing ... that is the study of a lifetime!

That's what has always kept me from fly fishing - but now that I'm going to be living a 5 minute drive from a pond in PEI that has 15lb rainbow trout and methinks its time to start the process of learning!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
That's what has always kept me from fly fishing - but now that I'm going to be living a 5 minute drive from a pond in PEI that has 15lb rainbow trout and methinks its time to start the process of learning!

I may have overstated it a bit. It doesn't take decades to achieve any level of competence ... you get a handle on a few basics pretty soon ... but there's always something more to learn, always refinements on what you already have ... always new challenges and ways to get better.

I may have overstated it a bit. It doesn't take decades to achieve any level of competence ... you get a handle on a few basics pretty soon ... but there's always something more to learn, always refinements on what you already have ... always new challenges and ways to get better.

Yeah. I've been watching some videos online. Definitely think I can "get the hang of it" but will have plenty to keep learning

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Rods 1-3 on a trip last summer. Rod number 4 went to a former student in my fly tying club at the school where I teach. He had volunteered a bunch and was a founding member of the club. It was a 3 weight as he is a dedicated brookie fisherman. It was fun to see his surprise when he saw his name inscribed on the rod. This winter I plan to make only one rod, and will try to avoid any mistakes. I also will be learning to make my own snake guides.
fullsizeoutput_58d.jpeg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Rods 1-3 on a trip last summer. Rod number 4 went to a former student in my fly tying club at the school where I teach. He had volunteered a bunch and was a founding member of the club. It was a 3 weight as he is a dedicated brookie fisherman. It was fun to see his surprise when he saw his name inscribed on the rod. This winter I plan to make only one rod, and will try to avoid any mistakes. I also will be learning to make my own snake guides. View attachment 1360826
Stunning, the only word that comes to my mind!!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Not sure what I have got myself into, but I am now up to my elbows with trying to build a bamboo fly rod. I have fished them for a while and was planning to build one with an experienced friend over the winter, but now, due to covid, I am trying by reading books and watching youtube videos. There is a steep learning curve! I am not sure of anything that I am doing! I am only in the early stages, but by spring, I hope to have a rod that can be used. Couple of hours every night should get me there -right?
Progress so far:
Have split the culms into 18 pieces with a few spares.
Filed nodes and charred the enamel
Working on straightening the strips
Have had to build tools that I could not find
Going to learn how to sharpen plane blades - It is very different than sharpening straights.
View attachment 1193104View attachment 1193105View attachment 1193106
My heart goes out to you my man and admire your spunk. Hope it turns out well. I’ve always wanted to use one and they are truly beautiful.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
fullsizeoutput_58f.jpeg

Rod number 5 begins- I do not know who the recipient is yet...
Here is the butt section with some straightening to be done to the strips, before the planing begins.

Top Bottom