What's new

Bamboo Fly Rod Project

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Went with red silk. It will be more subdued after the varnish. I tried a very thin black accent, but I doubt it will be visible after the varnish. Messing around with the spiral accent. not sure if I will keep it. This will be a completed rod very soon!
fullsizeoutput_53d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_53e.jpeg

any update??
@EB Newfarm
heh, like, I'm hoping the next, it's attached to a nice fishie picture (premeal).
Rudy's right though, with the mastery of the wood fiber it's easy to take the mind off all the high-value finishing work that adds pure class to the spool and mounted line, tippet, fly.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I think it may be a while before I can take it out for a test cast. Still putting more varnish on the wraps of #1 and sanding the glue from #2. I tried to blue the ferrules, but it did not turn out as I had hoped and will probably redo it. I will try to get some pics for the weekend.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I have been varnishing the wraps with spar and the effect is not much different day by day. I have been practicing the signing method with India ink and a fine nib. On the second rod, I am gluing the ferrules, here is a cross section of a tip.
Image 3-8-21 at 8.02 PM.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Thanks! The second set really turned out straight and true- different culm, different plane and methods and the binding system was really fine tuned.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
It is finished! It was a long journey and it certainly had its ups and downs! There are a lot of mistakes, and I can see all of the things I could have done better. This one is # 0121. Rod # 2, (0221- 02 for rod#2 and 21 for the year it was made)will be better, but this will always be the first one. The round dot after the serial number indicates a tip, the other tip has two dots. Some people like to alternate the use of the tips. In a month or so I hope to put the last photo into this post, the first fish that I catch with this rod.
fullsizeoutput_542.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_546.jpeg

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
It is finished! It was a long journey and it certainly had its ups and downs! There are a lot of mistakes, and I can see all of the things I could have done better.View attachment 1245110
Job well done ... the only mistake I noticed was that you were standing around taking pictures when you should have been out on the water.
Fine looking rod, Hardy reel & sig’ wrap, those open-spirals & all!

You may find these interesting:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In a month or so I hope to put the last photo into this post, the first fish that I catch with this rod.
1617403931934.png

Haha ... just kidding.

Looks great and yes, we ARE looking forward to seeing the silver-sided results sooner or later!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
At last, I had enough time to take the rod out and fish it. Caught the first fish after about 5 casts on a little blue wing olive dry. Very pleased. I was thrilled to feel the rod bend a little and the casting was as I had hoped. None of the fish were huge, but they were pretty and enthusiastic! For the next few days, I brought a lot of fish just like it to hand and admired them and let them go.
fullsizeoutput_54d.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_1996.jpg
fullsizeoutput_54c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_54e.jpeg

Top Bottom