What's new

Bamboo Fly Rod Project

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Thanks - it is a steep learning curve...
I am now rubbing gorilla glue on to the butt section and then buffing it out with a paper towel. This will make up the finish on the rod- in the old days, builders used varnish and it was a real hassle and took months to dry. The gorilla glue method is strange, I know, but it works really well and I can put several coats on each day. Will aim for 20 coats. Tomorrow I am going to glue the two identical tips sections and I am stressed out about how they will turn out! (Most makers make two identical tip sections when building a bamboo rod.)
fullsizeoutput_527.jpeg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Not a lot to report, I have been doing a lot of work on the finish of the butt section and waiting for the glue to dry for the tips. The tips turned out ok, and now I am sanding off the binding string and excess glue. Things look rough right now, but they should look pretty nice in a few days.
fullsizeoutput_52b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_529.jpeg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Thanks, but funny you mention patience. I'm going to need more. The tips did not turn out, and I will have to start over. One had a twist that I could not straighten and the other had a jumble it the very tip that I doubt would work. I think I had too much pressure in the binding after the glue.
So it is back to the culms and another few weeks of work... It is tough that the final removal of the binding string showed the flaws and I was thinking I was almost done! I suppose I can cut them down and make a pair of very, very labor intensive chopsticks.
I got a little ahead of myself planning the second rod, but now I have to finish the first.
I have been taking a break from it as it has been so frustrating. However, I did get a new router based tool that will allow me to do less planing by hand- might have it set up and running this weekend.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
New strips for the new tips... I am faster now that I have been through it a few times now.
fullsizeoutput_535.jpeg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
It is well below zero tonight and it will be a long time before spring. I will see this through and am determined to learn this craft.

I know the work of patience is difficult. I would be a fool to tell You the journey is meaningful. But, the part about current winter weather, is this more about the impact of cold air and dry humidity on the material or, that your workshop is now a giant freezer?

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I was thinking that in the depths of winter I am just working on this rod and spring is a long time from now. The shop is the basement, so although it is chilly, it is not too cold.

Time to refurbish your fly stock? Get a short moment dreaming of a soft nibble as the tippet starts to stretch? Do you see more Browns or Rainbows where you fish? ..A strong suck you can see from the surface and a hard take? It just sounds like you needed a few moments of creative visualization or fond memories to keep the light from sputtering. (Me? I dream of steelhead and usually catch fingerlings.)
:blink:

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I appreciate your support Merle, I have been thinking about tying flies, I have not been on the vise since November. I am going to have to finish my caddis box before the season starts.
I am still working on the rod, making new tips and getting ready to wrap the guides on the butt section. I will post some pics when that happens. I hope to put ferrules on it next. I have started some rough work on rod# 2 as well. The second one should be better- I hope!
On my home river, we start with Lake Superior steelhead and then when the mayflies start I go after browns and brooks. There is an occasional decent resident rainbow. I look forward to the sulphur hatch, then the hex hatch, and then I switch to night fishing with mice for browns. Once in great while there is a lake run brown, pink salmon, coho, or chinnook in the same river. There is a lot of variety. Still, I like dries for browns and brooks more than anything else. Nothing beats a nice dry fly take!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Ferrules fitted and glued. They will look much nicer once the thread wraps are on and varnished. I have made a lot of progress lately, but nothing new for pictures. The machine posted above has allowed me to rough out and shape new strips for rod # 2 in no time at all. I think the second rod I make will be a lot better.
fullsizeoutput_536.jpeg

After seeing this thread out there for some time, I finally grabbed a fresh cup of coffee and started following your journey. I appreciate the skill and patience required to tackle something like this, and you're inspired me to find a new skill to learn and project to start.

Well done, and I'm looking forward to more updates on your progress and end result!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Testing silk thread colors on a scrap tip section. Also getting back in the hang of wrapping, you can tell it takes a few to get the feel for it and to make neat wraps. 1 coat of Spar on these, trying to decide the color and trim accents (if any).
fullsizeoutput_53c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_53b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_538.jpeg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Testing silk thread colors on a scrap tip section.

Having inherited a few old split-cane rods from my grandfather's collection, I am partial to a darker red, with British Racing Green a close second. But that's just me ... you may like something totally different (... and I'm kind of wondering what some flourescent pink would look like!)

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
That's funny, I am thinking of dark red or olive green! The first coat does not look great but they get translucent in the following coats and on the darker and polished cane, they should glow.

Top Bottom