What's new

Bamboo charcoal

I was given a bag of Jamaican "gem" bamboo charcoal. I used it today in my gravity feed smoker and I was impressed with it.
No issues at all, no odors or flavors. Oak wood chunks flavor came through clearly on the brisket. Most impressively very low volume of ash.
Anyone tried bamboo Charcoal and what was are your thoughts?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sounds like a great concept given bamboo grows so quickly. I'm going to keep my eyes open and buy some if it finds its way here.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Now I found a use for all the bamboo at my dads house. I'm not talking about a little either. That stuff is like a weed on steriods but 18 feet high.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I remember hearing about that stuff, but I then forgot about it. I'm glad to hear that it's good stuff.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was given a bag of Jamaican "gem" bamboo charcoal. I used it today in my gravity feed smoker and I was impressed with it.
No issues at all, no odors or flavors. Oak wood chunks flavor came through clearly on the brisket. Most impressively very low volume of ash.
Anyone tried bamboo Charcoal and what was are your thoughts?
Sounds like a great concept given bamboo grows so quickly. I'm going to keep my eyes open and buy some if it finds its way here.
My wife, Sarah, has a ton of coats...... Don’t even get me started about her shoes.
Interesting. I like the idea of this- great sustainability, and even better if the taste is good. Bamboo is an incredibly prolific weed.

Top Bottom