What's new

Balsamo showdown: Speick vs Floid vs Veleiro

So I am a huge fan of Woodsy scented soaps and AS, and I thought I give a quick rundown of a few that have been in my rotation for any like minded woodsmen out there. Going to compare three Balsam aftershaves, Speick Balsam sensitive, Floid Balsamo and Veleiro Balsamo.

First up - Speick

Im a big fan of Speick in general and expected nothing less than excellence from this Balsamo asb.

The good - very mild on the skin with decent moisturizing properties. It applies cleanly without any heavy or greasy feel. Good coverage.

The bad - This may have something to do with being a 'sensitive' asb but it doesn't do almost anything well. I didn't find it particularly moisturizing and the scent left a lot to be desired by comparison and was fairly short lived.

Second - Floid Balsamo

Aahhhhh. Floid. The name that launched a million barbers.

The good - Fantastic scent and fairly long lasting. I found I could re-activate it with a dab of water hours later. Very good moisturizing properties and a go to when I'm feeling a tad over-shaved.

The bad - Feels somewhat greasy upon application. It has good coverage but it really had to almost sink into the skin over time to feel completely comfortable.

Third - Velerio

Not a name I her much about on these boards but when I found it I just had to try it. It's a Balsamo.

The good - Fantastic cooling properties unlike any I've found in an asb. Combined with its good moisturizing properties it is a tremendous balm for any sort of burn or over-shaved feeling. The scent is very good if a little short lived.

The bad - The scent doesn't last too long. Yeah....that's about it.

The verdict - the Veleiro wins for me hands down. The clean application and cooling properties make it a great choice in both the hot and cold months. The scent is everything I expect from a balsamo and it has a great price point. The Floid comes in second and will always have a home in my den for its wonderful scent and moisturizing. The Speick....ehhhh.

Now ymmv of course, but if you're looking for something different you could do much worse than Veleiro.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Top Bottom