What's new

Balogna / Baloney

I had quite a bit of it when I was growing up and I do like the Lebanon B now. But the cooks at my high school had a way to ruin bologna for hungry adolescents, quite an accomplishment. They called it a 'cowboy hat'. A slice of it was topped with a scoop of mashed potatoes, probably left over from some prior lunch menu, then that was crowned by a slice of cheese and the concoction broiled, probably long enough to sanitize it. Needless to say when we knew it would be on the menu you couldn't hear nearby conversation for the rustling of paper lunch bags and unfolding wax paper.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had quite a bit of it when I was growing up and I do like the Lebanon B now. But the cooks at my high school had a way to ruin bologna for hungry adolescents, quite an accomplishment. They called it a 'cowboy hat'. A slice of it was topped with a scoop of mashed potatoes, probably left over from some prior lunch menu, then that was crowned by a slice of cheese and the concoction broiled, probably long enough to sanitize it. Needless to say when we knew it would be on the menu you couldn't hear nearby conversation for the rustling of paper lunch bags and unfolding wax paper.
I love the name! Like, who would eat a cowboy hat?

Honestly, I'd eat that today! I learned to eat ANYTHING my Dad came up with. Miss him. He was quite the "food inventor!"

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
That's bad even for school food!

Fried cheap bologna is an odd treat, same with spam.

But that vinegary ring bologna from the Midwest is really tasty! We cannot get it in the south.

AA
A shame you don't have ring bologna where you live. Ring bologna is so good, fried up and served with buttery mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. Ring bologna can be found in most groceries and supermarkets out here in farm country. There are numerous brands here in Nebraska and Kansas, most all are made at butcher shops in small farm communities. These places also offer sliced lunch meats that put mass produced brands to shame.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1627330689373.png

Top Bottom