What's new

Balogna / Baloney

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
As detestable as some may find bologna, I found a way to elevate it. I was in first grade, and in our school lunch was served family style at tables of eight ranging from first through sixth grade. Someone had to go to the hatch to refill the serving dishes, and invariably the youngest was drafted. On sandwich day I quickly learned that anything good left on my plate while I was away at the hatch would be taken. So I invented the sandwich no one would touch. A slice of white spread with mustard and mayonnaise and topped with bologna and cheese, a slice of tomato, and a leaf of lettuce under a slice of whole wheat made with peanut butter, apple jelly, and dill pickles. I grew to like it.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Butchering/slaughtering proteins was a big part of our homelife growing up. Farmers/Ranchers, we had a butcher shop in our front yard. If you ever participate in those meat processing tasks you will learn that those 'parts' are perfectly fine pieces of protein. We didn't use lips/ears/anuses or a lot of the other stuff people go on about but there were not a lot of scraps for the dogs!

After they try it, some folks will pass up brisket to grab more smoked bologna. Good stuff but the price-per-pound has really climbed lately.

Butchering/slaughtering proteins was a big part of our homelife growing up. Farmers/Ranchers, we had a butcher shop in our front yard. If you ever participate in those meat processing tasks you will learn that those 'parts' are perfectly fine pieces of protein. We didn't use lips/ears/anuses or a lot of the other stuff people go on about but there were not a lot of scraps for the dogs!

After they try it, some folks will pass up brisket to grab more smoked bologna. Good stuff but the price-per-pound has really climbed lately.
Meat is not a synonym for protein. Meat is animal flesh. Protein is a nutrient that can be found in many foods, including nuts, legumes, grains, vegetables, etc. I'm glad you have fond memories of butchering, but not everyone does. Let's allow for some variation of opinion.

That is exactly what he demonstrated.
When he calls meat "protein" the implication is the only way to get protein is to eat meat, which is incorrect and something I wanted to point out. I also did not find butchering a particularly enjoyable family activity, though he implied I had no experience with it (Otherwise I would obviously enjoy it and think eating pig innards was a wonderful thing). To each his own, OK?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
When he calls meat "protein" the implication is the only way to get protein is to eat meat, which is incorrect and something I wanted to point out. I also did not find butchering a particularly enjoyable family activity, though he implied I had no experience with it (Otherwise I would obviously enjoy it and think eating pig innards was a wonderful thing). To each his own, OK?

It's time to check yourself. You're reading far too much into these posts.

I'm moving on. Cheers.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Sure thing. Something tells me I would not fit in if I went to Texas. :001_huh:

Good afternoon. I'm not sure how you thought I was responding to you or that there were fond memories of butchering. It was hard, messy work. Hopefully you enjoy what you're having for dinner this evening and for what it's worth, the halibut on tap here tonight was caught by my wife and filleted by me. The filetting part wasn't fun but I wanted to eat it. Some of us have no problem turning live animals to food... Others choose to pay someone else to do it for them. I'm ok with either.

Mechanically separated pork production

1618790714562.png

1618790438068.png

Never cared for it as a kid, never eaten it as an adult.
For what its worth I think it is a good thing to be in touch with what we eat and where our food comes from.
It was at one time, and still is in some places, that the butchering of an animal is a celebration for all and everyone would take part.
It was a good thing.

One of my absolute favorite dishes growing up was Szechuan style pig ear sliced and served cold. It had a wonderfully complex flavor and an awesome mouth feel. It's still one of my favorite dishes.

Those who have never tried it and yet insist that pig ears are somehow "gross" or inedible are just narrow minded and their opinions should be ignored, IMHO.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One of my absolute favorite dishes growing up was Szechuan style pig ear sliced and served cold. It had a wonderfully complex flavor and an awesome mouth feel. It's still one of my favorite dishes.

Those who have never tried it and yet insist that pig ears are somehow "gross" or inedible are just narrow minded and their opinions should be ignored, IMHO.

I've never tried pig's ears. (I've never eaten silk purses either, but that's a different thread.) Anyhow, my biggest hesitation about eating them would be wondering about how to prepare them to make them palatable. I know if I tried to cook them at home they'd end up inedible at best. But you seem to have found someone who could cook them well ... and I'd love to try a plate of those!!

When I was young, my parents would occasionally take the family on a trip to "the big city" and one part of that was going for a Dim Sun lunch at a particular Chinese restaurant we knew of ... great food! All the staff and almost all the customers were Chinese, and the waitresses wheeling around the trolleys of food spoke almost no English so ... ordering was often a bit of an adventure. We tried ... and liked ... almost everything (and had our favourites).

But one dish they had that we never could bring ourselves to try even once was ... fried chicken feet. Maybe it was because we had kept chickens in our back yard for many years and knew what chicken feet spent 99% of the time walking around in, but ... um nope.

Maybe we missed out on something great. But we just couldn't.

I might have the same reaction to pigs' feet ... but IMHO the ears don't have the same problematic backstory.

1618848106737.png

I loved bologna/baloney as a kid. I can't stand it today, even higher end sausages of that ilk. My missus still adores it, fried or microwaved particularly.

Top Bottom