What's new

Balms vs splashes

I don't believe alcohol dries the skin measurably as compared to what will naturally happen to one's face after waiting a few minutes during the dry winter months....at least not removing any of oils which have remained behind on the skin.

That said, I agree with your comment about not really wanting to apply 2 moisturizing products at the same time. I often use moisturizing balms in the winter (today was Captain's Choice North) and nearly always use an alcohol based splash in the summer. During the summer I sometimes apply a SPF sunblock/moisturizer and would not want to add that on top of an aftershave balm.

So I got the Stirling Bay Rum Witch Hazel and Aloe, it feels nice after the fact but holyyy that burned like a mothertrucker for a good minute. Not sure if I could get used to that. Big fan of these nacet blades though, tried one for the first time….

This
I always use a balm/moisturiser after a shave. If I do use a splash, I apply after washing off my face and then, whilst the splash is drying, I clean up my work area, strop my razor (you don't want to do that with greasy hands!) and/or dry before putting it away.

By the time I apply the moisturiser, the splash has completely dried, so there is no conflict. I find this combo works really well for me.

You could also look at an aftershave where skin care is prioritised: Speick is excellent, as is Myrsol.
And this.
I suggest Lucky Tiger Face Tonic, It has a good mix of ingredients.

...but holyyy that burned like a mothertrucker for a good minute….
In my opinion and limited experience, that is an indication that technique could be improved. Good lather, light touch, adequate razor/blade, fewer strokes and so on... Follow these basic rules and burning will go away, eventually. Unless you end up enjoying it.

In my opinion and limited experience, that is an indication that technique could be improved. Good lather, light touch, adequate razor/blade, fewer strokes and so on... Follow these basic rules and burning will go away, eventually. Unless you end up enjoying it.
It was oddly uniform feeling to be that, and there was no visible irritation, but I suppose its possible. I’ll try regular witch hazel to find out. If I can make it work in a less painful way then I think I’ve found my solution.

I have to consider how many shaves I have had on that blade. And how much micro skin has been removed. Exp.-newer blade perhaps deeper irritation- vs. a blade with 5 shaves. But hey it's just shaving.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I use both splashes and balms. Often depends on whether I'm wearing a eau de toillette or a cologne. If, say, I plan on wearing Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet that day, I'll forego a splash and use the Blenheim Bouquet balm. Just this morning I used Floris No. 89 balm and the matching EdT. I also really like the Italian "milk" balms, like the Proraso balms. There's terrific value in the entire Proraso line of products.

Alcohol and moisturizer are different, complimentary, and necessary (to me anyway).

Alcohol disinfects and instantly soothes and closes the skin. Otherwise it will itch and burn for hours. No matter how smooth the shave was.

Most aftershave splashes contain some glycerin, which is enough moisturizer for many people, like me when I was younger. At my age I need to add more, in the form of a balm or lotion or whatever.

So I got the Stirling Bay Rum Witch Hazel and Aloe, it feels nice after the fact but holyyy that burned like a mothertrucker for a good minute. Not sure if I could get used to that. Big fan of these nacet blades though, tried one for the first time….
I had that happen when I first tried the hot apple cider aftershave from Stirling. But the issue there was that I didn’t have the best shave before applying. Think Kevin McAllister from the original home alone movie

I always use a balm and very rarely a splash. I don't necessarily mind using a spash before applying a balm, but I ended up not seeing much benefit. I don't like any greasy feeling on my skin after applying a balm, so it took some trial and error to find the ones I like.

My preferred balms/lotions...

Duke Cannon, After-Shave Balm
Every Man Jack, Natural Menthol-Signature Mint Face Lotion
Neutrogena, Hydro Boost Gel-Cream
Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion SPF 20 (If I want something with some sun protection)

I make my own balm and get the texture, scent etc the way I want it. Additionally, it gives this old, retired fella something to do.

I always use a balm and very rarely a splash. I don't necessarily mind using a spash before applying a balm, but I ended up not seeing much benefit. I don't like any greasy feeling on my skin after applying a balm, so it took some trial and error to find the ones I like.

My preferred balms/lotions...

Duke Cannon, After-Shave Balm
Every Man Jack, Natural Menthol-Signature Mint Face Lotion
Neutrogena, Hydro Boost Gel-Cream
Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion SPF 20 (If I want something with some sun protection)
I sampled the Duke Cannon and thought it was very good, no sticky after effects. I have used the Neutrogena face lotion also for sometime, very good. For many many years I used Clinique mens face lotion which is also excellent but getting to expensive. I am now experimenting with a couple Preraso products, the red is the newest which leaves my skin feeling tacky/sticky.

I find that some alcohol aftershave irritates my skin. In my experience it was the scent oil that was irritating me. If I use Proraso Red or Stirling's Weekend in Malibu my skin itches, and slightly burns. It sucks because I really enjoy those scents. And if I had a bad shave it's even worse.

Never had an issue with balms other than the greasy feel afterwards. I have oily skin so the added moisture just feels gross after an hour or so.

For me it's dry the top of my head (it's shaved too). Don't dry my face or neck. Splash on some aftershave on face and neck. I like alcohol and menthol in mine but doesn't have to. I like variety here.

Then use Nivea sensitive balm on top of the head and wrap down and around the neck. I don't like it on the face.

I’ve come to a crossroads as far as my aftershave usage goes and I’m not entirely sure where to go. As of now my routine order is bay run pre shave oil, stirlings bag rum puck, alum, proraso white aftershave balm. However, I’ve added an spf moisturizer to my morning routine, and really don’t like the feel of having two moisturizing creams at once. I was never keen on aftershave splashes bc alcohol is an irritant. Would it be possible that the drying and sometimes irritating effects of alcohol would be countered by the moisturizer? Or is there a different type of aftershave I should be looking into?

I religiously use moisturising cream as part of my daily morning routine as well as eau de perfume.

So I stick with alum block, leave it on as I change into my clothes (no matter how small the cut, as long as there is an opening in the skin, I feel the burn), apply moisturising cream (yep, I don’t wash off the alum block residue) and finish it off with 2 pumps of eau de perfume on the neck.

Alum is a nice alternative to a splash followed with a balm. But living in Socal if I plan on going outside, which is more times than not, I need to use a moisturizing SPF year round like LaRoche Posay instead of the aftershave balm. If I shave at night, than the aftershave balm goes on.

Top Bottom