What's new

Balm vs Splash Question

To date my only A/S has always been cold water. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing something. In B&B's Wiki, I read there are soothing balms and astringent splashes. I'm curious: Why would someone choose one over the other? Do people ever use both in the same regimen? And finally, does it have to hurt to work? Sorry if this has been answered somewhere before... if it has, can someone kindly point me to the thread? Many thanks!

No, it doesn't have to hurt to work. Alcohol hurts.
Yes, some use both. I did today. WHen I use an alcohol filled splash, I like to also use Nivea balm for it's moisturizer.
Many prefer balm in winter because it moisturizes.
Splash in summer because the balm can clog pores.

All will say, use what works for you. Only you can decide what works best.

I use an alum block, which is an antiseptic/astringent, followed by a balm. You could use witch hazel in place of the alum block, or an alcohol-based splash. I don't personally see the need to use more than one of those 3 - alum, witch hazel or alcohol, but there are folks who do. Alcohol burns too much for me, and I never developed a liking for witch hazel, so alum block is what I stick with on a daily basis, and I follow it up with a balm for moisturizing.

Every now and then, I follow up the alum/balm combo with an alcohol-based splash, this is more for the scent - in this case I'll skip the cologne. And in the summer, I'll switch to an AS milk as opposed to a balm - the milk being lighter and not as heavy.

But really, if your cold water treatment is working, you don't have to change a thing. The only thing you are missing out on then is the scent, so use an Edc/Edt of your choice.

I love a good sting, wakes me up in the morning. I use splashes not just for the sting but I feel it heels and soothes better then I follow it with a moisturizing AS balm (SCS Avocado Oil, SCS Sahara balm).

I have been using a Nivea balm for a while and recently incorporated a WH splash before I put the balm on. Its amazing how my neck has looked so much better. Now I use them both and TWGW and I are extremely happy with the results.

Mainly you have to figure out what works best for you.

I use splashes not just for the sting but I feel it heels and soothes better...

^ Same reason I use a lotion containing alcohol. There are also some lotions that provide a good deal of moisture, so there is no need for a balm. Musgo Real is the best in this regard, contains aloe and smells amazing! YMMV.

There are also some lotions that provide a good deal of moisture, so there is no need for a balm. Musgo Real is the best in this regard, contains aloe and smells amazing! YMMV.

Good point! Some are just that good; Speick and Musgo are some of the splashes that are in that department.

+1 for alum block followed by the balm of your choice. Agree completely with the assertion that these are personal choices - whatever makes you happy when you're done.

Top Bottom