What's new

Balm vs AS?

Can someone enlighten me as to the differences between aftershave balms and just plain aftershaves? Is it alcohol/no alcohol? Creamy vs. not? And when would one want to use balm vs. the alternative? I've read where some said it depends on the season of the year, others on how sensitive your skin is, and various other explanations. I'm beginning to think its all just personal preference, but if so, how does one determine preference, short of buying a bunch of aftershaves that then may or may not be used.

It really is a personal preference. Balms are usually thicker, more moisturizing, have skin food ingredients and lack alcohol. Some are heavy, some are very light. Aftershave splashes are truly a “splash”. The consistency of water. Most contain alcohol, but not all. Some have more alcohol than others and thus burn more. The alcohol can be drying for some, but better aftershaves have witch hazel and other skin food built in. Some like to use a more moisturizing balm in the cold dry winter months and switch up to a splash in summer. Some of my aftershaves even have cooling menthol built in. But so does Proraso green balm. All personal preference. I personally like alcohol based splashes as they aren’t overly drying for me, like the are for some. Plus, the alcohol really tones and tightens the skin making the face even more smooth.

It really is a personal preference. Balms are usually thicker, more moisturizing, have skin food ingredients and lack alcohol. Some are heavy, some are very light. Aftershave splashes are truly a “splash”. The consistency of water. Most contain alcohol, but not all. Some have more alcohol than others and thus burn more. The alcohol can be drying for some, but better aftershaves have witch hazel and other skin food built in. Some like to use a more moisturizing balm in the cold dry winter months and switch up to a splash in summer. Some of my aftershaves even have cooling menthol built in. But so does Proraso green balm. All personal preference. I personally like alcohol based splashes as they aren’t overly drying for me, like the are for some. Plus, the alcohol really tones and tightens the skin making the face even more smooth.

+1! Good explaination!

Thank you, this is very helpful. Is there a wiki or database associated with B&B (or somewhere else) that compares aftershaves on their ingredients?

Thank you, this is very helpful. Is there a wiki or database associated with B&B (or somewhere else) that compares aftershaves on their ingredients?

Not to my knowledge but let me see if I can give some pointers based on direct experience.

Balms:

IMG_1311.jpg

Nivea is cheap, found at local Walmart’s. It goes on thin and light. It’s quality punches above its cost class.

proxy.php

Pre de Provence is thicker and more protective. Comes in two scents and is highly regarded.

proxy.php

Geo Trumpers skin food is another thin balm that doesn’t leave much residue. Lots of good ingredients. Very very slight alcohol burn sensation. Lots of folks use this with great success. A little goes a long way and despite the upfront cost it’s an excellent value.

Stirling Shave Company also makes very affordable balms in a plethora of scents.

Aftershaves:

Stirling:
I would suggest Stirling as a great starting point once again for aftershaves. They are very affordable at $12-13 and again have lots of scents. They add extras such as witch hazel for skin support and I find them to be non-drying. Tip: the bay rum burns like hell and love it. Others don’t have as much burn to them. Stirling sells samples. Longer lasting scents.

Barrister and Mann
Makes a great AS to go along with their soaps. They are great scent makers and ingredients are excellent.

Captains Choice
An excellent choice for scents that aren’t fleeting and typically are gone within 30 minutes or so. Excellent quality ingredients and all scents are delightful, safe choices.

Ah, this is terrific, thanks for taking the time! I've been using Nivea, and I like it because it goes on and then seems to just disappear, leaving my skin nice and soft. I've only been using it since November, though, and I suspect that in the heat of the summer, I may prefer a splash over the balm.

I'm headed to London with a group of my students in May, and while my partner is with the girls having afternoon tea, I'm going with most of the guys to Trumpers for a shave. I think while I'm there I'll pick up some aftershave (and probably a few other things as well). Stirling sounds like a good choice also.

You might also want to check out Maggard Razors...they have a great selection of balm and splash samples.

Tony has nailed it.

In addition to traditional balms, you can use skin moisturizers. I often used CerVe A.M. in place of a true balm. In addition to all of the soothing qualities, it contains sunscreen.

Good point! I’m a night shaver. About an hour or so after my shave I apply CeraVe PM. Same as the AM just minus the sunscreen. I’ve used it religiously for several months with great success. When I wake up my skin is supple and soft.

Top Bottom