What's new

Balm, Splash, Aftershave...what do I need?

So I have and use Nivea and Clinique Post Shave Healer. These are great when I don't need or want a scent an added scent or fragrance. But I would also be curious to know what suggestions anyone might have for a balm/splash/aftershave that I can use in conjunction with the Nivea or Clinique or in addition to it.

I'm not really seeking a strong or over powerful scent but something that I could use from time to time...

Thoughts?

David

Maybe I need to clarify. Most of the time I don't need a scent. In which case either the clinque or the nivea are fine.

But in cases where I want a scent what do I go with? Do I use a scented cream or soap and buy the matching balm, or aftershave or cologne? Buying all of them seems like overkill. For example T&E and others make aftershave balm, aftershave and cologne all in the same scent. What else would I want to purchase so that I could wear a particular scent?

Yes...I am a noobie so I apologize if this is a basic question.

The least complicated answer would be to find an EdT that you like, and spray it on over the balms that are working for you.

Some people mix balms and AS splashes in their hands before applying, but it's difficult to say what that would do to the performance of the balms you're enjoying.

The least complicated answer would be to find an EdT that you like, and spray it on over the balms that are working for you.

Some people mix balms and AS splashes in their hands before applying, but it's difficult to say what that would do to the performance of the balms you're enjoying.

This is good advice. Just find a scent that you like. Most soaps/creams have a scent that does not linger long after you are done shaving (I find tabac to linger a bit) so you so not have to find a perfect match.

Lucido is the answer, it goes with any scent(it's unscented), mixes well with balms and is very healing and soothing. Look no further.

You don't need anything other than water, everything else a matter of taste and preference. Aftershave (one word, and without the offensive term "splash") is my preference as it imparts a fresh feeling to my just shaved face and does not leave a greasy residue.

After shave (two words) balms, milks and othere such concoctions are generally some type of oil/water emulsion with fragrance. These will generally leave the skin fealing somewhat oily (what some mistake for soft or moist) and this is why I avoid them. But, if you tend to dry skin, these can help by sealing in water from your shave and/or shower.

If you're used to using mostly unscented products, then you'll personally notice a difference just from using a scented shave soap/creme (or at least I did for the first several weeks), although anyone much farther away from your face than your own nose may not notice a thing.

If you want a scent that anyone more than a foot away would notice more than a few hours after you put it on, then some sort of cologne is probably a better choice (but don't overdo it either).

Myself, I still feel like I must be overwhelming the room for half a day when I just wear an aftershave like Pinaud Clubman instead of the fainter TOBS/Musgo which I got into aftershaves with (bought the clubman as a less pricey alternative that'd extend my other bottles with a wider rotation).

Then you also need to figure out what sort of scent you want to have if there's much hope of getting a meaningful specific reccomendation.

But in cases where I want a scent what do I go with? Do I use a scented cream or soap and buy the matching balm, or aftershave or cologne? Buying all of them seems like overkill.

The scent from a soap/cream does not last very long, so I don't think you have to worry about that. Aftershave will last a bit longer, so you can either use a scented aftershave (balm, splash, whatever you prefer), or use an unscented/mildly scented balm, but follow it up with either a scented AS splash, or even an EDT.

Top Bottom