What's new

Balm or Splash Recommendations?

Hello. I have been using Duke Cannon's Ice Cold Aftershave exclusively since I started wet-shaving (only about 5 months now), and I really like it. The scent, in my opinion, is quite pleasant, and I like the menthol kick. I feel that it does help moisturize my face and head after I shave them, although I'm not sure if it actually helps with the razor burn I sometimes receive. I also find it a good value at $10 for 6 oz.

I would like to expand my choices though, and would like to find another balm or perhaps a splash that I could use. I don't mind a mild burn from alcohol, but would like something that is moisturizing/non-drying as well. I'm also a sucker for a nice, long lasting scent; I usually shave in the evening and have no real need for it to pair with a cologne. It would be nice if it had a similar scent profile to any of my shaving soaps (although this is not all that important either):
  • Declaration Grooming: Massacre of the Innocents
  • Catie's Bubbles: Connecticut Shade
  • WCS: Oriental
Your recommendations are appreciated.

As far as I'm aware all three of your soaps also have a matching aftershave. If it were me, I'd start with one of those and go from there as I learned what I enjoy from an aftershave.

From my perspective, aftershaves are one of the most ymmv products in wet shaving. Some folks like splashes and can't do balms due to oily skin. Others can't do splashes due to dry skin and only balms work. And some can tolerate both because they have neutral skin.

I'm a splash kind of person except for those days when the temp gets down well below freezing, and those days I do enjoy a light balm.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
A splash with great face feel ingredients and long lasting scent profiles is wet shave products (wsp) they are a good value. Have free shipping options and generous sample sizes.

A splash with great face feel ingredients and long lasting scent profiles is wet shave products (wsp) they are a good value. Have free shipping options and generous sample sizes.
Will definitely give them a look. Thanks.

From my perspective, aftershaves are one of the most ymmv products in wet shaving. Some folks like splashes and can't do balms due to oily skin. Others can't do splashes due to dry skin and only balms work. And some can tolerate both because they have neutral skin.
I think I fall under the neutral skin group. Splashes that I've had in the past (extras from the cologne set I bought or received as a gift) don't seem to dry my skin out. I just like that extra hydrated feel that I don't think a splash can provide. Of course, I just may not have found the right one. I've seen some that are a hybrid or an in-between type of lotion; too thick for a splash, but to wet to be a balm.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Something like ginger’s garden is probably on the way edge of splash / lotion.
Another good option if it wasn’t said before is tallow+steel. Their consistency might be just what you’re looking for.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Something like ginger’s garden is probably on the way edge of splash / lotion.
Another good option if it wasn’t said before is tallow+steel. Their consistency might be just what you’re looking for.

I second Wet Shaving Products. Great splashes. I have dry skin and the WSP stuff works out great.
For balms, I'd suggest Barrister & Mann. They went to pretty much all balms for now given how COVID made alcohol spike. But having used their balm, I can say it's a lot better than I expected - hydrating without being greasy at all. I might actually buy another balm from them soon.

Wsp asb is long lasting but somehow slightly burns my skin no redness but it does for 10min
Arianne & Evans is long lasting asb
Floid asb is long lasting
Stirling is not long lasting imho
Rituals samurai asb is long lasting

long lasting for me is 6-8hrs and still smelling a whiff from time to time.

extro makes edt strength as also lasting stuff love espezial

I have two in the star jelly and enjoy it. It’s supposed to be like an alcohol splash and balm type product in one. It’s a jelly like consistency, not so much like a balm. You get the alcohol burn first then the menthol kicks in for a nice cooling sensation. I really enjoy it. It’s not really greasy or anything on my face either

I have two in the star jelly and enjoy it. It’s supposed to be like an alcohol splash and balm type product in one. It’s a jelly like consistency, not so much like a balm. You get the alcohol burn first then the menthol kicks in for a nice cooling sensation. I really enjoy it. It’s not really greasy or anything on my face either
Does it dry out your skin at all, or does it help moisturize it? Their Mystery Serum sounds good too, but it's odorless. I want something that has a nice scent.

As with all the products mentioned in previous posts, how long do they last on average? Do they only require small amounts to be applied at a time? After several months of use, my Duke Cannon has a fair amount left . This includes using it on my head and face, shaving every 3 days. I don't go overboard with it, but using it on my head does require more than most people. It's a 6 oz bottle though. Most of the products, except for the splashes, come in 2 oz containers. This seems like I'd be going through them quite fast, and I'd be quite broke trying them. lol

Does it dry out your skin at all, or does it help moisturize it? Their Mystery Serum sounds good too, but it's odorless. I want something that has a nice scent.

As with all the products mentioned in previous posts, how long do they last on average? Do they only require small amounts to be applied at a time? After several months of use, my Duke Cannon has a fair amount left . This includes using it on my head and face, shaving every 3 days. I don't go overboard with it, but using it on my head does require more than most people. It's a 6 oz bottle though. Most of the products, except for the splashes, come in 2 oz containers. This seems like I'd be going through them quite fast, and I'd be quite broke trying them. lol

Space Nog is my absolute favourite scent of all time and use it all Christmas time then put it away for the year, only pulling it out every once in a while as a treat. So I used the set, including the star jelly, every shave from Dec 1 to Jan 15 so got lots of use of it. I can say, not once did I notice or feel like my skin was dry from it. I would shower and shave, put on the star jelly and not put anything else on my face until bed time, when I’d wash and put on a moisturizer. I live in Canada, where it’s cold and dry so I’d say that means it does pretty good.

I only use 1 pump for my face and neck, that’s plenty. Maybe another partial pump if it was a really bad shave but don’t have many of those. Looking at the bottle, it barely looks used so far.

I haven’t tried their Mysterium Serum yet so can’t comment on it

I'm slowly trying narrow my choices down. All seem to be near the same price, except the Barrister and Mann balms. However, their balms, are smaller in size, so in the end, it's almost the same. (note: in one of my previous posts, I said they all seemed to be 2 oz, but really they are all more like 3.4 - sorry for the mistake). I'm assuming most are near the same in in hydrating and greaseless feel, so now it's just trying to figure out which scent I might like most. I think having too many decisions in this case is good problem to have, except for my wallet may disagree. lol

Top Bottom