What's new

Balm first before aftershave splash?

I'm a little different. I don't think alcohol on a just shaved face accomplishes anything significantly positive and will actually harm your skin. ( your face is dying to tell you something.
Routine for me :
Cold water splash
Pat face dry
Put a few drops of my own balm ( all the ingredients that have healing and soothing properties. No menthol. Ever.
Clean up and put all away gear.
THEN put aftershave in hands and dab on tops of shoulders, back of neck , and run my hands thru my wet hair. (No aftershave on my shaved face.
An hour later, I reapply balm on face. ( if I'm still home)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If I use a balm then it is after I use aftershave, edt, or cologne. I have zero interest in soothing effects of aftershave, my only interest is the scent and as strong a burn as possible. Conventional wisdom says no burn is a sign of good technique but I could not care less. For me, no burn is a huge disappointment, and I may as well use cartridges or grow a beard. I prefer a too close shave and plenty of burn with a high alcohol vintage splash. I suppose it depends why you are shaving in the first place. For me it is the fun and enjoyment of the preparation and process of shaving, the closeness of the actual finished shave is of little consequence or interest to me. The more burn the better - I love it😂

I'm a little different. I don't think alcohol on a just shaved face accomplishes anything significantly positive and will actually harm your skin. ( your face is dying to tell you something.
Routine for me :
Cold water splash
Pat face dry
Put a few drops of my own balm ( all the ingredients that have healing and soothing properties. No menthol. Ever.
Clean up and put all away gear.
THEN put aftershave in hands and dab on tops of shoulders, back of neck , and run my hands thru my wet hair. (No aftershave on my shaved face.
An hour later, I reapply balm on face. ( if I'm still home)
Then using an AS serves no purpose. You may as well use a Eau de Portugal or Friction lotion, or a body splash cologne such as a Turkish Kolonya.

When I use a balm it’s usually after a splash. Sometimes I use only a balm. If my face or neck are irritated I finish off with a soothing balm. I usually use matching splash & balm, but sometimes just use Nivea Sensitive Balm without a splash. Witch hazel always precedes the aftershave lotions.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Cold water rinse to get the soap off, then:
Step 1:
Post-shave: Alum Block (cold water rinse after a few minutes) or Witch Hazel (let it dry)
Step 2:
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid (this is the best Balm I've ever used - let it dry before applying AS)
Step 3
Aftershave: AS of the day
Cologne: Cologne of the day

That's my routine. :)

I enjoy the burn / chill of the AS splash, so I put the balm on first. I found putting the balm on after the splash was a buzz kill. In the warm weather I'm skipping the balm and just using the splash.

Lately, been adding a step. I now use Thayers, Pitralon, or Lucky Tiger as "toners" pre splash. Then splash, then the balm.

My skin has liked it.

Top Bottom